• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I post this on another forum that I visit a lot and figure its good info you could have and perhaps pick a few things from. Hope it helps you.

ORIGINAL POST

On Monday night, 04 AUG 08 Griffith, IN, was struck by a tornado (Category EF2), followed by a spectacular lighting storm (the sky would light up with 20 to 30 second before going dark again as lighting struck the earth) and ended with a rainstorm that dropped so much water flooding occur in some areas of the town. I live in Griffith, IN but luckily our house and block too no major damage, just tress branches all over the place. Two blocks north at the shopping plaza we can kiss good-bye the entire strip mall expect the Kmart and the house behind the mall are gone. Just concrete pads left.

Power, cable, and phone were down something after the tornado and as I type this from my laptop on Wed. 06 AUG 08 all are still down. In the boredom that has followed these days of no cable/internet I decided to write some LESSONS LEARNED from this mess in the hopes that others take heed and GET PREPARED with more than just your shotgun as you await the ZOMBIEs. The ZOMBIEs will come you can count on that!

Here is what I have learned in no particular order.

--GENERATORS--
    Generators are a great connivance for refrigerators, freezer and air conditions, and lights around the house provided a) you get one with enough wattage for all your stuff, b) you are prepared to burn a whole lot of cash on gasoline and most important c) you realize that you are now a ZOMBIE magnet! Lastly know how long your generator will run on a full tank of gas so you can determine just how much gas you are going to need in the generator and on hand to continue operations.

Just because your generator says “xyz” watts does **NOT** mean that you can power your central air and refrigerator and TV and PlayStation/Wii/xBox, etc. You need to look at the SURGE WATTAGE (the wattage and item needs to start up initially versus how much it needs to run on). Start up wattage for an item is typically 3 TIMES the normal wattage of the item. Ex. PC has a 650 Wattage power supply then it needs 1950 Watts to start initially only for a few seconds. [SOURCE: Guardian Potable Generator Manual] If you don’t have the wattage then multiple the voltage by the amps on the device to get the wattage.

LESSON LEARNED FROM MY PARENTS
    Those Home Depot/Lowells/Menards generators are WORTHLESS for anything other than powering 1 refrigerator and a lamp/fan. Don’t think you are going to be able to power your entire house or your AC with that.

My parents got a small generator last year (3500 WATT; 5000 WATT SURGE) and assumed that it would power the entire house! My mother was so disappointed when it would stop when the deep freezer they have in the basement was connected to it. Needless to say they lost a lot of food and got a nice “swimming pool” in the basement thanks to all the ice melting from the freezer. They were able to get the main refrigerator hooked up to the generator.

LESSON LEARNED FROM MY SISTER-IN-LAW
    Get your generator well **BEFORE** the storm get here. Going the day after the storm to get one is a nightmare. If you are lucky to find one expect to pay in CASH and expect to pay much, much more than they normally cost.

Since last year’s storm (tornado that did not touch ground thankfully) we told everyone to BE PREPARED but alas only my parents listened and you read how well that went. My sister-in-law spent the better part of Tuesday driving all over area looking to buy a generator. She finally was able to get the DISPLAY MODEL at a local hardware store in IL (75 mile drive one way) and it cost her almost twice what they normally cost CASH ONLY! Supply & Demand baby.

LESSON LEARNED FROM MY NEIGHBOOR (behind the alley)
    If you have a family (be it kids or pets) and you are not mechanically inclined (meaning you don’t know how to trouble shoot an engine) and are not going to learn (and I mean really learn by either taking classes or getting hands-on experience somewhere, a book is not going to help you) then I suggest you be a FATHER/MOTHER and not a “man” (sorry women take no offense in this one) but SUCK IT UP and get a generator with an automatic starter or the type with the “push this button to start” as oppose to the pull string to start engine type while choke is in full type. Your family will appreciate you more for providing for them then by you trying to get the generator to start after it sitting in the garage for years.

My neighbor like myself are “techies”. We can take apart and put together PCs in our sleep but when it comes to cars don’t ask me or him. I know that you put gas in it, get the liquids (oil, transmission fluid, radiator) changed every XYZ miles, and have the tires and filters checked as well. Yes I know I may get “bent over” at times depending where I go but a) I have no desire to learn about cars b) don’t have the time so I know this is a weakness of mine and thus go with machines that are EASY & STUPID PROOF unlike my neighbor which figured he would spend less and get a more manual generator. Well while I set mine up and hit the start button he tolled away for most of Tuesday to get his to start. It was close to midnight by the time he got it to start after someone can by to help him.

LESSON LEARNED FROM MY NEIGHBOOR (next door)
    Okay so you bought a brand new generator but that is **NOT** all you need. Don’t forget additional motor oil, air filter, an extension cord with a power rating for HEAVY HOME APPLIANCES and a portable gas tank big enough for your generators gas tank.

Don’t try to connect your home extension cord to your generator and to your refrigerator. You **WILL** melt the cord! Those small generators can only run for so long before an oil change is needed. At the rate we are going and with some of these people running them 24/7 an oil change is going to be due sooner rather than later. The small generators are not designed to take such a 24/7 beating without some rest. They are for EMERGENCIES not full time duties. You are also going to need more than your 2-gallon gas tank for your generator. Think big here. If your generator holds 10-gallons get two or more 15-gallon tanks (More on this in the next section).

LESSON LEARNED FROM MYSELF
    Okay so you got an heavy duty industrial powered generator that can power everything in the house (refrigerator, 4 TVs, 2 Desktop PCs, Central Air/Furnace, Washer, Dryer, all the lights in the house and all the little stuff (clocks, radios, routers, modems, etc) and you have extra gasoline, motor oil, filters, chains and locks to secure the generator, instructions on how to set it up so that it feeds the entire house (removing yourself from the public utility electrical grid first) and the whole nine yards. So what went wrong? Well idiot you did test run on being able to move the generator (500 lbs no gas + 160 lbs (16 gal tank) = 660 lbs) in the garage and driveway which are concrete surfaces but sadly you failed to think of the path and all that grass in the backyard where the cement pad is at the secure the generator. Grass when wet is a nightmare to try and pull/push a 660 lb beast by oneself. Plus metal chains get very HOT after sitting near the generator exhaust for 9 hours.

Note 2 Self: A cement path from the front the to back is needed before this winter.

Note 2 Self: Generator hold 16 gals but you only add 14 gal at a time due to your gas container so you get 9 hours of operations. Two 14-gal gas containers and one in the generator give you 27 hour of operation. You really only run the generator from afternoon to night (1PM to 10PM) since the morning sun is good enough to do things around the house and the fridge if kept closed will last OK during the off times. So with that said you really need “5 days of operations” of gas on hand instead of the 3 you have right now.

--GASOLINE--
    Everyone and their momma is going to want this liquid gold after the storm for their generators. Be sure you have enough on hand **BEFORE** the storm hits. You can use STABLE (red liquid sold in auto stores) to store gas for up to 2 years safely. Don’t try to use a credit card and don’t be the guy/girl with the big gasoline container at the gas station.

LESSON LEARNED FROM OBSERVATION
    As I did a walk around the block to see if we had any down power lines or see if I could see the utility trucks I stood on the opposite side of the street from the only local gas station that was open. They have a huge generator on wheels that was supplying them power. The gas station was packed with cars/trucks. Since the street lights were not working it was a total grid lock to try to get in/out of the station. Everyone had all sizes of gas containers and was trying to fill them up. Some guy had a big barrel in his truck that he was filling and since he was taking so long yelling and honking started, followed by a small fight before the police broke it up. Thinking about it now but it was STUPID of me to go look at this. The fight could of turned far worse had the police not been there.

--FIREARMS--
    Sadly ZOMBIES do come out during these disastrous to steal generators, cause havoc on stores that have been damaged by the tornado and just cause CHAOS where they can. The police while it may do a good job of containing the danger **CANNOT** be everywhere and you will have to fend for yourself for a while. A firearm is a very good investment after all!

A fully loaded shotgun with a sidesaddle is one heavy tool to carry around the house all day. A tactical sling does helps but it’s still heavy! Plus learn how to use your tactical sling not just try it once and that is it.

NOTE 2 Self: Weekly practice carrying shotgun around the house fully loading will help both you and the family realize it’s just a big heavy tool.

LESSON LEARNED FROM THE WIFE
    Your shotgun may not be the best weapon for your wife especially if it is heavy and/or she has never used it before.

NOTE 2 Self: Getting a youth model shotgun may help the wife. Having more guns in general is going to help.

LESSON LEARNED FROM FAMILY
    At one point we had mom and dad and their little dog over since the poor mute was dying in a non-AC house and the folks are getting older and should not be in the heat that often. Kid sister came by as well. All these people and only 1 shotgun in the house! I felt so naked and uneasy going outside to check on the generator (fuel level, security) while the wife watched with shotgun on hand from the widow. How I wish I had at least a handgun with me. Mom and dad knew why the shotgun but kid sister was in total shock as was the wife that we needed such a thing. It was not until the police were down the block filing a report of stolen generator that they seem to get it. NOTHING IS SAFE DURING A CRISIS! Apart from the neighbor on the corner (6 houses down) who lost his generator no other reports of generators stolen have I heard of on the block. The local grocery store was broken into the night of the storm and food did disappear. In addition the local K-Mart also lost some of their home & garden stuff outside. Mostly the police advised that generators and gasoline containers are the high-ticket item right now.

NOTE 2 Self: Every able teenage and up needs to be armed with a rifle and handgun. Shotgun is great for indoors but once outside around the house a shotgun is OK but out of it’s element.

<<GENERAL>>
    The situation was not so bad that people were walking outside armed. Many of the neighbors were outside as it was nicer outside than inside the homes and to watch over their generators. Since the town did not declare and emergency in the area and I did not want to advertise that I had a shotgun I figured unless we really needed to show it (the shotgun) it was going to remain out of sight. Element of surprise I wanted to keep along with not being sure what the local laws are of carrying a shotgun outside in your yard or front yard where someone may see it. Something to look into when I have time.

--ENTERTAINMENT--
    What we did before the coming of Cable and the Internet I have no clue. Just because you have power via a generator does not mean the TV and Internet are going to work. Hope you have movies to watch.

In addition children need lots of activities especially if they are use to watching Cartoon Network, PBS Kids, Discovery Kids, etc. Coloring books and crayons are a lifesaver. Board games (monopoly, life, etc.) are also great as are a deck of cards. Puzzles also come in handy. Best overall toy LEGO by far. That bricks keeps giving and giving play time.

A battery power radio is a great way to stay informed and pass the time. (Oh I think this is how prior generations pasted the time before the Internet)

--FOOD & WATER--
    Luckily the stove does work (gas powered) provided that you start it first with a lighter (since it’s electrical spark starter) and we do have water in our area. Town next to ours (Munster, IN) is under a water advisory as it is NOT safe to drink the water from the faucet.

Make sure you have MIN of 1 gallon of water per person and animal per day for drinking. Rule of thumb is 5 gallons MIN per person for all water use (cleaning, cooking, drinking) but as with gas and ammo the MORE the better. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH WATER, FOOD OR AMMO! NEVER! Your goal should be at least 10 gallons per person per day. Sounds like a lot but if you measure all your water usage in the day you might be surprised how much you use. Get yourself a pressure cooker to heat your water up faster in case you have a water advisory in your area. You need at least 10 minutes in a rolling boil (read: boiling big time where bubbles are non-stop in the pot) for water to be safe to drink again. A few containers to put the water will help since you won’t be able to drink it right after the rolling boil, off course.

Microwave anything food is a total waste when you have no power! Good old fashion beans and weenies are great. Especially when you are hungry.

--GENERAL TOOLS--
    A Coleman double halogen light lantern is a very good investment. It can light up a medium size room very well. They are much better than the LED lanterns or flashlights. Make sure you have batteries and extra batteries and backup to those batteries plus extra bulbs. You **DO NOT** want to go to the hardware store after the storm. It’s a nightmare with everyone and their momma trying to get what you want as well. PREPARE AHEAD OF TIME! Don’t just have one lantern. Get one per person with a few spare just in case.

A gas-powered chainsaw is a great tool that you and your neighbors will appreciate. Especially when the old elm tree decides it’s time to go to tree heaven and leave all it’s branches behind.

Candles, Candles, Candles... Matches, Matches, Matches

CASH in low denominations is KING on the street! Your plastic card just won’t work.

06 AUG 08 @ 10:16PM Power and cable/internet have come back!
    Finally connected back to the cyberworld.
    Hi all!

--UPDATE ON 07 AUG 08--
    A total of 3 generators were stolen in the neighborhood on Monday night and 10 on Tuesday night according to the neighbor next door who a) likes to listen to the police scanner and b) talks to his cop friend. So the ZOMBIES were out in force. Neighborhood is being defined as 3 x 3 block area with 8 houses per block. So 72 houses in total.

NEXT SUBDIVISION

8 8 8
    SCHOOL 8 8 8 STORE/STRIP MALL
    8 8 8

MAJOR AVE

NOTE 2 self: Additional chains and locks will be needed on the front and back gate. Enclosing the concrete pad with a thick steel cage cemented down is going to have to happen ASAP. 3 of the 4 walls will be cemented and I will have to use locks to lock down the ceiling wall and front wall. If we have a winter outage we will need to run all night to keep the furnace going.

Having a big dog in the backyard would help deter ZOMBIEs as well. The sole neighbor that ran his generator all night long just happens to have 2 big mean dogs in his yard all the time. So it seems those big animals do come in handy!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Prior to the tornando I had been working on a basic SHTF checklist and took info from various sources around the web and from the USMC. Here is my final product an eBook with the checklist and basic info on each topic.

eBook Download

Use the password fallout to unlock the ebook.
    I sell this eBook online on eBay and my own website however since everyone in here (primarly) is from Indiana and I don't charge IN taxes for my online sells I cannot sell to an Indiana resident since I don't collect sales taxes. However there is nothing to stop me from giving it to you for FREE!

Enjoy and I hope it gets you thinking on Being Prepared.

ps.
    The eBook only works on PCs. But MAC owners you can get the HTML files here.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Great post and great observations.

I'm in a south/rural part of Lake county, but have relatives in Munster, 4 different relatives there were out of power for several days, none were flooded, 2 had trees on their homes. My brother also lives there, he has a generator, but was in a part of town that was unaffected.

My observations are these.

Most people are idiots. My brother called me to ask to borrow my generator because he could not get his started. I asked if he spun the fuel valve under the tank to allow the fuel to gravity feed down to the carb :dunno: Of course he did not. He didn't know it existed.

NONE of my other relatives in town had a generator.

My brother's generator came with a heavy chain and his house came with a concrete pad and that has a heavy steel "D" loop cemented into place. It allows him to secure the generator with the chain so it will be hard to steal. He didn't understand. Fortunately he didn't need it.

He was commiserating with one of my female relatives about how "awful" it is that people come out and steal generators. :eek: Doh!!!

Fortunately for me, I'm nothing like my brother or my other sheeple relatives. I have food, I have guns, I have a generator that runs on natural gas, propane and gasoline, hooked up to the N.G. line and both propane and gas is available as back up.

In a conversation with him he asked "why would anyone think of these things" and I said because some people are smarter than others :draw:

Yes, its true that UNTIL WE ARE FACED with a crisis we may not know how we will react, we may not know if our plans will work as well as expected, we may not know of our plans will be effective, but we do know that at least we planned and can get buy better than those who don't plan at all.

When N.W. Indiana got hit with the ice storm about 10 years ago we were snowed into our home for 3.5 days before the first plow was able to get to us. We were out of power for almost 8 days. Temps dropped as low as -20 and my pipes didn't freeze. Can't say were were as comfortable as someone sitting in the Palm Beach Hilton Hotel, but we were a damn site better off than many people who didn't do a damn thing to take care of their homes or families.

Everyone needs to think about what they need to do to take care of their family for a few days, to a week or two. It just makes sense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I post this on another forum that I visit a lot and figure its good info you could have and perhaps pick a few things from. Hope it helps you.

Excellent article, sir. Thank you for sharing it with us.

You underscore some excellent points. I don't think most of us realize just how unprepared most people are for any level of disruption in their lifestyle. I posted some messages here over the summer regarding how people reacted in Crawfordsville when the electricity was "out" for half a day.

As far as generators go, I've decided I'm not going to bother with anything "serious" until getting a truly serious, propane-powered unit is a fiscal possibility. That, plus a good sized LP tank (even though we're on municipal gas for everything else), and maintenance supplies seem to be the best way to go if you really, truly want to be able to operate most of your house essentials (and I consider A/C to be an ESSENTIAL in the summer!)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Very good post. Also do not forget that as soon as an emergency happens, you can turn off the cold water feed to the hot water heater. 40-50 gallons of potable water. The candles and matches are one thing I need to add. I think a 5 gallon bucket full of paper match books is fairly cheap and good for charity. Anyone have a good source for quality candles at a decent price for large quantity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    While I was saddened by the destruction that passed through griffith, it lead to some side work doing roofing jobs. Yay for extra cash. And it was paid by for by the guy's insurance company (minus deductible)

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Nice write up. thanks for taking the time.

Your story reminded me of the need to "prototype the system", in other words, try everything out before you need it. You can quickly learn if your extension cord is too small/short, you don't have spares, etc. When the disaster strikes is NOT the time to learn you need stuff or to prep things.

Be careful with the candles...when SHTF is not a good time to burn down the house. Battery lights or proper kerosene lanterns would be safer.

Sounds like you need to invest in a Glock and holster...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sorry forgot to update the post.
    Since that SHTF we have purchases
    1) Springfield Armory MIL SPEC 1911
    2) AR-7 .22 Henry Survival Rifle

In addition we took the basic firearm course and got our IN Lifetime Carry Licenses (PRE-SHTF). The 1911 was for me. The .22 is for general shooting once a week at the range and with it I have also begun to introduce the extended family to guns as well as some of my friends.

I figured if I show them that it's fun they are more incline to see that the laws we have are stupid in terms of "protecting us" and that the Obama's in the world are indeed evil.

Just talking about guns to most of them is a big turn off and many have looked at me like I'm some sort of PARANOID GUN NUT. But as I have slowly taken one at a time to the range and they shoot the .22 and see it up close many have changed their minds on guns. My older sister being the only exception. She is 1000% liberal, ANTI-GUN HATHER and will follow Obama to the depths of HELL if he said so. *sigh*

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My Generac 5800 (continuous) with full pressure lube and oil filter came from Home Depot back in 1998 (I think it was). Powers everything I want to power (or can be hooked up via my 10 circuit transfer switch).

So, does Home Depot NOT sell anything like this any more? Just junk now? I haven't been in a HD for a while (none around where I live now).

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You are not going to die with out a generator.

You can do with Air Conditioning.

A small radio, and a deck of cards is enough entertainment.

Saving your food, is helpful, as well as powering your sump pump if you have one. A water powered back up pump works without power. Or extra batteries that you charge and rotate.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have seen some big boys at Home Depot (might not be in stock, but can be ordered). They will power a house and almost cost as much as one. I do not think I would spend that much for a gasoline generator, though. Diesel just makes more sense. Runs longer on less fuel. Fuel will store many times longer. I am debating if it makes sense to setup a Lister style diesel in a fixed location or shell out for a more expensive, but lighter diesel. If you are only buying a generator for a couple weeks of emergency use, then Gas is fine. However, if you see a small likelihood that we might be down longer than that if something bad happens, a generator with a longer useful life that can also run on used cooking oil sounds like a more flexible plan.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Croserman,

HD (online ONLY) still sells the GENERAC brand that is what I got for the entire house. The stuff menards sells is JUNK for the portable ones. They do have the natural gas version (special delivery) that are from GENERAC as well. Lowells and HD carry very few portables at the stores.

Sailor you are correct you won't die without AC. YOU personally just like me probbaly wont' die. However what if you have elderly or special medical needs people that need power?

Part of the reason i got my generator is becuase my extended family (mom and dad, grandma, etc..) know that my house will be the ROCK (aka castle, aka place where we will all meet). My grandma is on oxygen 24/7 and while she can go with the portable tanks for up to 1 day then what? Sure the hospital but what if the hospital is overbooked?

The same for my wife's grandma. She is too old and can't be in the heat too long. Sure a relief center may work but then we scatter the family so thus I took the plunge and did the investment. When I build my home (that is my dream) I want to install a PERMANENT backup on that runs on NG.

Plus for the childs the less disturbance the better. We kept them busy with the DVDs while we went about doing the other stuff.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    You are not going to die with out a generator.
    i will not, me ex-step-father-in-law (no really) will die with out his equipment running.

Sure the hospital but what if the hospital is overbooked?
    not what if, it will be. the flooding took out a Dyer hospital, and teh rest of them had a large upswing in pashents. it happens in most local desasters.
    get a bliserd and the problem multiplies as the nurcing homes looes power, and need to send there residents somewhere.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    emclean, agree the point I was making is that one has to prepare to have NO HELP (local, state, federal) for a while. The die hard survivalist say have 1+ years of supplies and while I would LOVE to have that much stuff not sure I can fit all that at home and the cost is crazy.

But doing it slowly and you begin to built up your stock. My goal is 3 months for 4 people worth of supplies for now.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Two things about the e-book....

1. Thanks
    2. What program opens it? I have a mac and it says no available programs will open it.

Prior to the tornando I had been working on a basic SHTF checklist and took info from various sources around the web and from the USMC. Here is my final product an eBook with the checklist and basic info on each topic.

eBook Download

I sell this eBook online on eBay and my own website however since everyone in here (primarly) is from Indiana and I don't charge IN taxes for my online sells I cannot sell to an Indiana resident since I don't collect sales taxes. However there is nothing to stop me from giving it to you for FREE!

Enjoy and I hope it gets you thinking on Being Prepared.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Oh should have made that comment on the other forum.
    The eBook is for PCs only. =/
    PM me and I'll see if I can zip up the HTML/PDF files for you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Update since the links in post #2 no longer work.
    eBook with the checklist and basic info on the various topics can be found here:

eBook

I sell this eBook online on however since everyone in here (primary) is from Indiana and I don't charge IN taxes for my online sells I cannot sell to an Indiana resident since I don't collect sales taxes. However there is nothing to stop me from giving it to you for FREE! Your win! :D

The eBook only works on PCs. But MAC owners you can get the HTML files here: Be Prepared 101

Top Bottom