SHTF Start Up prep buget-What would you buy with $500.00?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I was reading and thinking how much would a person need to get started building a solid plan.
    I understand and like the spend a extra 30.000 at the store each week start.
    But I was thinking more of a head on approach, yet still reasonably realistic. Maybe a tax check, or some wedding money, war bounds etc.
    I don't want a "idea the situation list" I'd buy this and this and .... because we know the sky is the limit. But a real average joe, working man or woman list.

So in this situation, you have $500.00 to get your stuff together or at least a good solid start, you can assume this person already has some common house hold items. (No firearms/ammo need to be bought with this budget. There are two adults and 1.5 kids if you need this kind of info for your thought process. Currently living in a midsized city.)

Be as detailed as you like, feel free to include links , pictures, etc.

I hope this topic sparks some interest and discussion. I look forward to reading and seeing what every one comes up with. :patriot:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    food food food and more food. honestly about 300 of it would be budgeted for rice, beans, canned foods and meats. if guns and ammo are taken care of then food is a top priority. so many people think they have enough but really don't. After I was set up with food, i would probably grab a good amount of heirloom seeds, feminine products (as they have so many uses) medicine types like mucinex, neosporin, ect..

man I could spend 500 dollars in a couple hours lol

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    What do you need to survive?

1.Water.I swear by the Sawyer water bottles and systems after having used them for 20 days camping this year in Northern Minnesota.The bottles are inexpensive compared to the 4 liter filter system. You can store water in a climate controlled area in the dark(algae...use a closet)in cleaned out 2 liter bottles.Do not use milk jugs.

Sawyer Sport Water Filter Bottle 0.1 Micron Purification Emergency Survival Camp - Water Purification

2 bottles should cover you very well(these can be hooked up to hydration bladders and used to fill large containers)=$85.88 with shipping for 2.

2.Shelter.Rather a way to stay warm.Good sleeping bags.0 rated x3 $120
    A tent would not hurt if you need to leave your area.The sleeping bags would be helpful even in a power outage situation.

3.Food.Bulk and canned.A way to cook it/heat it as well.I like this stove because it will burn nearly any fuel including vegtable oil or used motor oil.
    http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Vapor...KHLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322640538&sr=8-1

$80 for the stove.

My figures have it at $285 so far.With out a specified number for food.

I would add good clothing,shoes,rain gear,packs,and first aid/medical kit.
    Also copy all important documents to a portable hard drive.This includes pictures for insurance,copies of policies,deeds,titles,wills,bank statements,and digital copies of your drivers license ect.Not a flash drive,a portable hard drive.

Food,food,food.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Without knowing what you currently have I would start with:

Food and water supply. Stock up on long life storage foods and plenty of water and also make a plan to add to it as time goes on.

Get a bag or two put together. Get home bag for the vehicles and a BOB or two for the house in case the specific situation requires you to head out. Some of the supplies you will most likely have on hand already.

First aid kits. One for the home and one for the vehicle at least. If you are a shooter you should have one in the vehicle for sure.

Spend a little time and think about it first. Get a plan set for what you need and order of importance. It can be very easy to spend a ton of money real quick and still leave out important items you need. Water and food, staying warm, keeping dry, and staying healthy are very important. Don't buy things you don't know how to use, or if you do plan to get training to use them.

Just my :twocents:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Take care of basic needs first.

450px-Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg.png

Pay attention to the base of the pyramid. Food, water, a way to make fire, shelter and toilet paper seem like a good start.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Food will take up most of your budget. Items to start with rice, beans, pasta, and can goods. You will have more water but water can be gotten cheaper. Save soda bottles and fill with water. You will need a lot more then you think so never stop saving. Those two will take $400 of your budget easy.

First aid kits are a good choice 1 or 2 would be a good start.

Other things you will want but you should have around the house are
    Flashlights
    candles
    blankets
    warm clothing
    bic lighters
    ferro rods

I know there is lots more round the house but that is off the top of my head and it's too early in the morning.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Protect your income, life, and property with proper insurance first.

Given the season alternate heat for your home would be next on my list. You probably have the food and water for an ice storm. Genny or kerosene heater for heat.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    What do you need to survive?

1.Water.I swear by the Sawyer water bottles and systems after having used them for 20 days camping this year in Northern Minnesota.The bottles are inexpensive compared to the 4 liter filter system. You can store water in a climate controlled area in the dark(algae...use a closet)in cleaned out 2 liter bottles.Do not use milk jugs.

Sawyer Sport Water Filter Bottle 0.1 Micron Purification Emergency Survival Camp - Water Purification

2 bottles should cover you very well(these can be hooked up to hydration bladders and used to fill large containers)=$85.88 with shipping for 2.

2.Shelter.Rather a way to stay warm.Good sleeping bags.0 rated x3 $120
    A tent would not hurt if you need to leave your area.The sleeping bags would be helpful even in a power outage situation.

3.Food.Bulk and canned.A way to cook it/heat it as well.I like this stove because it will burn nearly any fuel including vegtable oil or used motor oil.
    Amazon.com: Brunton Vapor AF All Fuel (liquid and butane) Expedition Stove: Sports & Outdoors

$80 for the stove.

My figures have it at $285 so far.With out a specified number for food.

I would add good clothing,shoes,rain gear,packs,and first aid/medical kit.
    Also copy all important documents to a portable hard drive.This includes pictures for insurance,copies of policies,deeds,titles,wills,bank statements,and digital copies of your drivers license ect.Not a flash drive,a portable hard drive.

Food,food,food.

Finally, a rational, in order of needs (not wants) list. Rules of 3's is still an effective way to plan. I hate the "buy a gun" first people. I can't drink, eat or shelter in a weapon.

Bob

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Freeze Dried Food for food products

lehmans.com for kerosene lamps/lanterns. & other hand powered tools

sportsmansguide.com for surplus all wool military blankets and some camping stuff including canteens etc.

many places for a generator (That will take most of your $500)

cheaperthandirt.com has a water filter you use with stacked 5 gallon buckets for a total cost of less that $50 inclusing buckets. Filters giardia and cryptosporidium

You can spend it all in one place or try to spread it out and partially cover several bases.

Good luck.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    1. You need food that can be resupply you year round. Not just buying rice and beans from a bag.
    $150
    sprng-sgn.gif

heirloom-seed-packages.jpg

2. A way to preserve food

$60 ( i say $60 cause you can sometimes get free wood or bricks on craigslist for free)

670653b2_16092010151.jpg

3. Another way to preserve meat

$90 (you can find them from $60-$300+)
    top-layer-of-jars-in-pressure-canner.jpg

4. canning jars and lids

$80 ( $10 for a 12 pack of jars and also extra lids)
    jarp1lg.jpg

5. chickens

120 for a few chickens a rooster and supplies to build a chicken coop.

chicken-coop-designs.jpg

TOTAL $500

Water filtration can be accomplish by getting sand or dirt and adding smashed charcoal.

Instead of thinking about buyin $500 worth of rice and beans, why not invest it in a long term source that can resupply your pantry year round. Dehydrating vegetables and canning meat like Deer, Squirrel or whatever for long term storage is the way to go.

My idea- Grow food, Store food. If you got vegetables or fruit or fresh meat, you can easily trade those goods for.........supplies, tools, ammo, etc.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Finally, a rational, in order of needs (not wants) list. Rules of 3's is still an effective way to plan. I hate the "buy a gun" first people. I can't drink, eat or shelter in a weapon.

Bob

Correct but the firearm is a force multipler that can and will be use to take from those that do have. We have seen this time and time again when local STHF occurs. Evil will use the firearm to take from those that have. Thus in order to level the playing field you best be prepared to defend what you have.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have posted most of this before.. Use the rule of 3's to start.. Air, check, water, check, food, check... Then go to shelter, defense, medical, comms, etc... For every $ we ear mark for preps it breaks down as:

10% for medical supplies
    5% for gardening and preserving supplies
    5% for water supplies
    20% for food supplies
    20% for weapons, ammo and supplies
    20% for silver/gold fund
    20% in reserve for those awesome buys that you run across for whatever

I would estimate most of the equipment we already have might actually be in the tens of thousands. A BOB might cost $300 total, a weapons cashe might be $4,000, a food cashe might be only $200 or $2,000.

Also costs are variable if you buy new, used, group buys, share shipping, build, scrounge or buy those things you want to have stocked up.

Hope this helps..

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Correct but the firearm is a force multipler that can and will be use to take from those that do have. We have seen this time and time again when local STHF occurs. Evil will use the firearm to take from those that have. Thus in order to level the playing field you best be prepared to defend what you have.

Having been an instructor for the military for years I can make a weapon or trap that will get me a gun when I need to. Until I need it, I may use many other ways to stay hidden from the evil hoards.
    :twocents:

Bob

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    1. You need food that can be resupply you year round. Not just buying rice and beans from a bag.
    $150
    sprng-sgn.gif

heirloom-seed-packages.jpg

2. A way to preserve food

$60 ( i say $60 cause you can sometimes get free wood or bricks on craigslist for free)

670653b2_16092010151.jpg

3. Another way to preserve meat

$90 (you can find them from $60-$300+)
    top-layer-of-jars-in-pressure-canner.jpg

4. canning jars and lids

$80 ( $10 for a 12 pack of jars and also extra lids)
    jarp1lg.jpg

5. chickens

120 for a few chickens a rooster and supplies to build a chicken coop.

chicken-coop-designs.jpg

TOTAL $500

Water filtration can be accomplish by getting sand or dirt and adding smashed charcoal.

Instead of thinking about buyin $500 worth of rice and beans, why not invest it in a long term source that can resupply your pantry year round. Dehydrating vegetables and canning meat like Deer, Squirrel or whatever for long term storage is the way to go.

My idea- Grow food, Store food. If you got vegetables or fruit or fresh meat, you can easily trade those goods for.........supplies, tools, ammo, etc.

Do you have more information on the concrete block smokehouse? That looks kinda interesting.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Do you have more information on the concrete block smokehouse? That looks kinda interesting.

There's a YT video i saw a while back. I like this type of smoker because it's easier to build and you dont have to worry about it burning to ashes. Some fancy smokers can cost from hundreds to a couple thousands.

Here's another one.

87cad915_P1010894.JPG

Top Bottom