• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Does anyone know a good resource to find ways to build backyard ovens in the event of SHTF? My wife and I found a couple of small books at the library on building a brick oven or one made of clay, but we would like more information.
    I think being able to make bread, biscuits, etc would be a great idea and bread would be a great bartering item too. Any ideas?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Google can be your good friend on this one. Just look for how to's on building a backyard pizza oven. That will allow you to utilise wood fired heat and you can make pretty much anything in it, from pizza and bread to pasta and roasts. Pizza ovens are the original back yard ovens. Just don't wait till SHTF to do it. Do it this weekend (or when the weather permits). Give yourself enough time to become expert in its use and, if the time comes, you'll be more than good to go. Plus you'll have had many non-SHTF times when you had some good eats.

Frankie G's Wood-Fired Pizza Oven

There are so many links on Google you'll be overwhelmed.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Thanks for the help. I don't know why I didn't think of looking for pizza ovens. I was trying to find bread ovens.:ugh:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Short of building a seperate structure, I have had pretty good luck with a big cast iron "dutch oven". The lid is designed for setting logs/coals/fire on, and is great for campfire cakes and the like. plus, it's portable.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You might also look for a how to on how to build a tandoori oven. Small and useful for Indian cuisine. They bake Naan flat breads in them and you could also do pita's or other flat breads, too. And some mean chicken or kebab.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Does anyone know a good resource to find ways to build backyard ovens in the event of SHTF? My wife and I found a couple of small books at the library on building a brick oven or one made of clay, but we would like more information.
    I think being able to make bread, biscuits, etc would be a great idea and bread would be a great bartering item too. Any ideas?

Cast iron dutch ovens work well for this.

You might also look for a how to on how to build a tandoori oven. Small and useful for Indian cuisine. They bake Naan flat breads in them and you could also do pita's or other flat breads, too. And some mean chicken or kebab.

You can make one with a large clay flower part and a charcoal grill. :D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Barrel stove with a metal box on top of it. Cost, about $40-$50. Can also heat your whole house, provide hot water, incinerate trash, etc...The most bang for your buck with the most potential for other uses IMO....

ETA: I speak from experience, been heating my home this way most of my life as both a child and an adult. Also cook this way too just for fun, practice, etc and during power outages we have no problems with heat or warm baths. Way cheaper than propane heat too....

Top Bottom