• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    This is something most people do not research enough. Yes you can treat water with bleach and have countless expensive filters. You can store it for eternity and catch rain off of a tin roof. However, what happens when all these sources run out?

We all know what a well head looks like, has anyone ever taken five minutes to pull the cap and look inside? Yeah there is water down there but does anyone know how to remove the pitless adapter & pull the submersible?

Then ideas for getting the water to the surface to drink? Discuss, and yes I have ideas....

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Something like this?
    Water*|*Water Pumps*|*Deep Wells*|*Stainless Steel Deep Well Pump Head - Lehmans.com
    20300500.jpg

Just pump it up the old-fashioned way. They make MUCH cheaper versions as well. Thought about getting a couple to outfit neighbors in a prolonged outage. No use in having the whole neighborhood at my door....

I don't think you need to pull the existing pump, either. Just drop the pipe next to the existing one.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Something like this?
    Water*|*Water Pumps*|*Deep Wells*|*Stainless Steel Deep Well Pump Head - Lehmans.com
    20300500.jpg

Just pump it up the old-fashioned way. They make MUCH cheaper versions as well. Thought about getting a couple to outfit neighbors in a prolonged outage. No use in having the whole neighborhood at my door....

I don't think you need to pull the existing pump, either. Just drop the pipe next to the existing one.

This is similar to the one my father in law just installed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, I have. We have a hand operated diaphragm pump that will do some serious lifting. We have an electric one and a pneumatic one as well. I have learned to move liquid around from my trade. It is not hard just have the right gear.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    If you can get past the pitiless adapter, it's worth the five minutes it takes to pull the cap and look. I have a 4" well and the pitless will not allow the other pipe to get past it. They do make an offset pitless adapter but normally well guys do not install them.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    For the sake of the thread and knowing you have some expertise can you link us to appropriate equipment?

Yes, I have. We have a hand operated diaphragm pump that will do some serious lifting. We have an electric one and a pneumatic one as well. I have learned to move liquid around from my trade. It is not hard just have the right gear.

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    When we ha d our well drilled, we had them reem it out for two reasons. 1- for water volume, and 2- to put an 8" casing in it so that we could use the hand pump if we needed.

Jason

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the sake of the thread and knowing you have some expertise can you link us to appropriate equipment?

Any reputable pump supplier will have what you need or what I have. I picked up my pneumatic from Graingers a long time ago and the other pumps have been acquired along the way. I got the hand pump at a sale in the country and re-built it and the electric one was in a trade. I have a dedicated pump for fuel as well. There are adapters and such (basic pipe fittings and hoses) you will need to put together if you are building up any kind of "Kit" to tap into well heads as you will see some different things.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Dumb question maybe but how do you prime those pumps if say it is 45 foot to static water level?

Any reputable pump supplier will have what you need or what I have. I picked up my pneumatic from Graingers a long time ago and the other pumps have been acquired along the way. I got the hand pump at a sale in the country and re-built it and the electric one was in a trade. I have a dedicated pump for fuel as well. There are adapters and such (basic pipe fittings and hoses) you will need to put together if you are building up any kind of "Kit" to tap into well heads as you will see some different things.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dumb question maybe but how do you prime those pumps if say it is 45 foot to static water level?

Never any dumb questions.

A diaphragm pump is self priming for the most part. It operates on suction generated in the diaphragm. Not un-like a hand well pump only more efficient. The lifting capability's are set by valving and displacement. My hand operated pump can dead lift over 50ft. We have never tested it beyond this. It was not straining at that level. The electric pump is a monster. A friend has a gas drive unit and it will empty a small pond in short order.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I was thinking trash pumps (what I used when I worked construction 15yrs ago) as they had to be primed. Thanks for the info.

Never any dumb questions.

A diaphragm pump is self priming for the most part. It operates on suction generated in the diaphragm. Not un-like a hand well pump only more efficient. The lifting capability's are set by valving and displacement. My hand operated pump can dead lift over 50ft. We have never tested it beyond this. It was not straining at that level. The electric pump is a monster. A friend has a gas drive unit and it will empty a small pond in short order.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Anyone know of a reputable well person in the Indy area? I cannot get my pitless adapter out. I have googled and I cannot find one like mine.
    Thanks!

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    What does it look like? Pic?

You can also dig them up as they are usually down 6'-8' deep....

Anyone know of a reputable well person in the Indy area? I cannot get my pitless adapter out. I have googled and I cannot find one like mine.
    Thanks!

T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have looked at tons of options and the one I picked is a pump by Flojak. You don't have to remove your existing pump or pipes. It can pump from 150' wells. It can also feed to your house so your toilets work and if someone is pumping so does your shower. Prices range from $400-$700.

Four Guns is now a dealer for them. We don't stock them yet but we can order them and stocking inventory will be coming.

Top Bottom