• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So on the recommendation of some users on Reddit I picked up a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger a few months back just for carrying around my iPad, phone, cables, chargers, and occasionally my pistol (When not on my hip) Firstly I want to say I love this bag! It was a little on the expensive side, but looking back it was worth it.

As I've been carrying this bag I've slowly been adding to it, so much so that I am working on making it a hybrid EDC/72hr bag. This is what's in the pack thus far:

On My Person
    *Wallet
    *Phone (iPhone 5)
    *Pistol (Ruger SR9c in Old-faithful IWB)
    *Pocket Knife

Front Upper Pocket
    *Two G2 pens
    *Mechanical pencil
    *Leatherman Fuse
    *EagleTac P20C2 MKII
    *Carmex

Front Lower Pocket
    *Small first aid kit
    *Toothbrush
    *Travel sized toothpaste
    *Microfiber Cloth
    *3oz reusable bottle of shampoo
    *3oz reusable bottle of shower gel
    *3oz reusable bottle of lotion
    *Pill organizer with various meds
    *Travel size stick of Old Spice
    *3oz reusable bottle of Listerine
    *Hand sanitizer

Main Compartment
    *iPad/Phone chargers
    *iPad/Phone cables
    *Aux cable
    *iPad
    *Container with AA&AAA batteries
    *CCW add-on holster

Water Pouch Compartment
    *Vacuum bag with spare undershirt, socks, boxers, and small towel

I know to bring this more into the realm of 72hr bag I need at least a few more things. The list of things I plan to add are:

*Rain poncho *At least one fire starting method (Probably cotton balls coated in Vaseline with waterproof matches)
    *High calorie food bars
    *Emergency Cash
    *Metal water bottle
    *Extra ammunition
    *Some kind of water treatment

Is there anything else I should consider adding? What do you guys carry in your 72 hour bags? Any suggestions/thoughts would be awesome. :) Also if anyone is interested I would be happy to post up some picks of my setup.

*Edit* Here is a pic of everything.
    m2Zan.jpg

Last edited:

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Nice set up. I always hear the saying "One is none and two is one". So I always carry 2 of everything just in case.
    As for additions: space blankets, wet wipes, I also have 2 large 'leaf' trash bags, Chapstick, sunblock, bug spray, knife sharpener, gloves, glow sticks, and a map of my local area.
    I carry a Maxpedition Lunada. All their products are high quality.
    Good luck!
    I also keep a small Bible in there.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to look for a bug spray, and sun block that will fit into the pocket with all the other person care type items.

Gloves are something I've overlooked as well. I think I have a pair of medium duty 'work style' gloves laying around extra that I can toss in.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I try to always have a knit cap/stocking cap/watch cap/ Toboggan (if you're from southern Indiana).

Also I really like having a compass, some paracord, more matches, a sharpie, a little lighter, another little lighter, an H bandage and a single AA battery powered pen light.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Sharpie, writes on things the G2 won't.
    Bandana
    Bic Lighter (a simple cheap way to start a fire, but also go with what you had planned)
    Firesteel I don't think 3 sources of fire is overkill, all three are small.
    Paracord (consider something like this to store a decent amount, you can do a couple of them)

Last edited:

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sharpie, writes on things the G2 won't.
    Bandana
    Bic Lighter (a simple cheap way to start a fire, but also go with what you had planned)
    Firesteel I don't think 3 sources of fire is overkill, all three are small.
    Paracord (consider something like this to store a decent amount, you can do a couple of them)

All great ideas. I just bought 600 feet of cord for making slings and things just like this. Just need to get around to knotting them together.

Last edited:

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    On another note, what is a good small food source for a small pack like this? I was planning on going with some type of high calorie bar, something that will sustain and take up little space.

Can anyone suggest another option, or any good brands?

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heavy duty garbage bags. Big ones.

Cut a hole and ya got your poncho. Cover your backpack and your stuff is now waterproof. Throw your stuff in it and you look like an iconspicuous greyman/homeless hobo type and not the frosty tacticool guru. Garbage bags have a brazillion uses

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    On another note, what is a good small food source for a small pack like this? I was planning on going with some type of high calorie bar, something that will sustain and take up little space.

Can anyone suggest another option, or any good brands?

I rotate basic stuff like granola, nut based bars and cliff bars. I get the things with the most calories and the longest shelf life. I try and rotate them out. Also consider some small single serve powdered drink mix, and gum. The drink mix can help you deal with bad tasting water and give you some energy.

Swing by REI in Castleton, they have a wide variety of energy bars and such.

Top Bottom