• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmg200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I want to become a more advanced shooter and I understand the most important thing I can do is range time. However, at home what are some "drills" I can do to sharpen my skills? I just recently started doing reload practices to practice reloads and when my new holster comes in I will be doing draws with reloads. All with no ammo of course. Are there any other drills you can recommend?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Invest in some snap caps/dummy rounds to help practice the reloads. Make sure there is no live ammunition in the room and you use a safe backstop. Try balancing a dime or spent brass on the front sight while pressing the trigger. Another drill is to look at your trigger and not only feel but see the trigger press. Hold the trigger back and rack the slide to feel the reset. Put a target up on the backstop and concentrate on the front sight while pressing the trigger. When you get tired or lose concentration it is time to quit

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a printable target image that represents a 200 yd target image that you can set at 50 ft. pm me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

rmg200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for the advice all, Ill be sure to check out that video cedartop and indyjohn pm incoming. VERT good tips!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Invest in some snap caps/dummy rounds to help practice the reloads. Make sure there is no live ammunition in the room and you use a safe backstop. Try balancing a dime or spent brass on the front sight while pressing the trigger. Another drill is to look at your trigger and not only feel but see the trigger press. Hold the trigger back and rack the slide to feel the reset. Put a target up on the backstop and concentrate on the front sight while pressing the trigger. When you get tired or lose concentration it is time to quit
    That's good advice.:yesway:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

That's good advice.:yesway:

Here's a great product that will make your effort easier.. Dry Fire Device, AR-15

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    My routine varies, usually depending on what deficiencies I find in live fire.

For example:
    5x SHO from ready
    5x WHO from ready
    5x 2H from ready
    5x SHO from holster
    5x WHO from holster
    5x 2H from holster

It's 30 reps, and doesn't take any more than 5 minutes.

A more comprehensive routine that I'll use if I have time, is a dry version of Todd Green's Dot Torture.

Also, if you're going to get some snap-caps get brass-cased ST Action Pro trainers. Those will wear out much slower than all-plastic snap caps.

Top Bottom