• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    From time to time, I have students ask me about replacing the trigger mechanism in their Glock pistol with a 3.5 lb aftermarket trigger. My personal opinion is that, while the lighter trigger does allow for faster follow on shots, this is an unnecessary upgrade. I am not a fan of aftermarket parts on Glocks. I have seen malfunctions caused solely by replacement parts that I felt were unnecessary. While I haven't seen this due to a lighter weight trigger, I simply don't feel it is needed to shoot quickly and accurately with proper training and practice. What are your thoughts?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I haven't seen any malfunctions caused solely by installing a 3.5# connector in Glocks, whether Glock brand or aftermarket. I don't see a downside to it and if it helps someone shoot more accurately and/or consistently it's a good upgrade.

Changing the entire trigger group is a completely different situation. I've seen several problems with Glocks going full auto, failing to fire at all, and a variety of other maladies with aftermarket trigger groups. They're not all created the same. Some on the market are better than what Glock puts in the gun and if they're installed properly, won't cause any problems.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I was thinking the 3.5 lb trigger bar was a factory part offered on some pistols like the G34/G35s? Maybe that's the 4.5 lb? I think the factory Glock triggers are great personally, for me anyways.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Not a big fan of changing anything in the mechanics of a firearm, particularly if it is my carry. If the gun needs work to be good, then I am not going to buy that gun. I have worked over pieces in most of my firearms, but by this I mean it is cleaned, sometimes to the point of a mirror like finish where metal rubs on metal. But, no replacement or aftermarket type parts to improve the firearms action.

Everybody is different and I do understand that some like to work on what they have. I read that there is a trigger for the Glock that will give a smooth consistent pull instead of the stock type free pull until the action is engaged. I believe it is the "New York" trigger but forget now. I thought this sounded like it may be a good idea, but that is as far as it went, just a thought. I learn to use what I have the way it was designed to be used. But, everybody is different.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Speed of follow-up shots is a largly function of how quickly the shooter has learned to see his/her sights and how they manage the gun in recoil. A lighter trigger woont help that. It may make trigger control more managable, but much bigger gains would be made learning to see the sights and manage the trigger. Those skills would be applicable to any trigger.

I have no need for after market triggers.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Done correctly, trigger work does not make a Glock less reliable.. I only use Ghost connectors and NEVER change any springs.. I still end up with what some call an unbelievable trigger for a Glock.
    1911s revered because of the great triggers and that, IMHO, is the one mechanical part of the equation that enhances accuracy. Regular practice being the human part of the equation that improves accuracy. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I too have no desire to mess with the trigger on my Glocks. If I ever had to use my EDC to defend myself, that could be one more unnecessary explanation in a court room. Not worth it to me. In the heat of a gun fight I doubt many people could tell the difference between the aftermarket and OEM.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Thank you all for your input. These are the same conversation points I find myself having more and more lately. As with many facets of my training, I like to provide as much information as possible and show both sides of an argument. What a person chooses to do in the end is a personal decision. I have a good friend and fellow instructor who has a 3.5 lb trigger on his EDC Glock and I will tell you his shooting is phenomenal. That said, he also trains more than anyone else I know. That is where our friendly debate begins....

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    It has been my experience that improvements in skill can rarely be purchased. Yet, that is often our very first instinct.

"This new [Insert gun, sight, trigger, coating, slide, grip, spring, dremel mod] will make me shoot better."

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't carry a firearm that needs modified to work well/better. I may get a range gun that I make changes to [like a lighter trigger, etc].

Too many incidences of attorneys making it out like the gun owner did everything they could to make their gun 'more lethal' and/or they wanted a chance to use said firearm on somebody due to how modified it was. No, I can't/won't cite sources - but I've seen them over the years.

If it's for range fun and you don't ever plan on using it to defend yourself - by all means - do what you want. If it's less reliable ... well ... it's a range gun :).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Could go either way on this topic. For the most part I prefer to keep OEM parts in my guns. I do have an OEM -connector in my Glock. However if tuning up a trigger helps people shoot better then I think it is a worthwhile modification to make to a defensive gun. I am in the process of having my guns refitted with shorter triggers so that they will better fit my smurf hands. I used to worry about lawyers and such but now I just want the best performing piece of equipment I can own. If that gives me an unfair advantage or acts as a crutch then so be it. "Fair is a term used by 4 year olds and democrats." :whistle: Yeah I stole that quote, whatcha gonna do bout it!?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'm not sure about that.

Do you run a fancy connector in your guns? If so, do you see a significant difference in performance between that and stock?

I do have a Glock OEM minus connector in mine. Is that fancy?

It's run 100% over thousands of rounds in the current G17 (and thousands more in previous glocks) and along with my other tweaks makes a significant difference on tougher shots. 7yd bill drill, not so much. 20 yd head box bill drill or 25 yd 8" plate? Definitely.

But accurate shooting will get you killed on the streets. That why guns with lousy accuracy are called "combat accurate" and lousy sights are called "combat sights" :D

Top Bottom