• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    First of all, tactical is often misused. Tactics refer to, just that, tactics. Not the way you grip a gun, reload, etc. I have done quit a bit of tactical training, and just started shooting USPSA matches. I consider myself a competent shooter. However, USPSA showed me my weaknesses real quick, and I have learned a lot in a short time. A lot that is tought in "tactical" classes is in no way practical in day to day life. On the comment about the time needed to shoot a match, and finding a club. There are matches all over the U.S., and, most last maybe four hours. Most classes are at least eight hours, depending. The cost, minus gear is also very reasonable. I would rather shoot multiple matches, rather then spending $200 plus on a "tactical" class. If anyone has any doubt, attend a match, and see how you stack up against a shot timer, and some talented shooters. You really want to learn gun handling, shoot a match.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    First of all, tactical is often misused. Tactics refer to, just that, tactics. Not the way you grip a gun, reload, etc. I have done quit a bit of tactical training, and just started shooting USPSA matches. I consider myself a competent shooter. However, USPSA showed me my weaknesses real quick, and I have learned a lot in a short time. A lot that is tought in "tactical" classes is in no way practical in day to day life. On the comment about the time needed to shoot a match, and finding a club. There are matches all over the U.S., and, most last maybe four hours. Most classes are at least eight hours, depending. The cost, minus gear is also very reasonable. I would rather shoot multiple matches, rather then spending $200 plus on a "tactical" class. If anyone has any doubt, attend a match, and see how you stack up against a shot timer, and some talented shooters. You really want to learn gun handling, shoot a match.

Either I am misreading your point or we didn't see the article the same. To me the article was encouraging "tactical" people to compete, which I agree with. Also, if what you are learning in tactical classes isn't practical in day to day life then for most of us it is not a class worth going to. Unless you are doing it just for entertainment/hobby, which is fine too.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I read the article yesterday. I did not find much if anything to object. Both groups of shooter need to support one another. We have enough enemies with fighting ourselves.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I shoot USPSA at my local club. I also enjoy attending a class from time to time. Honestly I have seen people take either to extremes. There is nothing wrong with having fun. Also nothing wrong with being serious from time to time. Seems to me a little bit of both goes a long way.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I think you need to do whatever makes you a better shooter, and improves your skill. Figure out what is logical for you. Which can be hard for some, as tactical sells.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I shoot USPSA at my local club. I also enjoy attending a class from time to time. Honestly I have seen people take either to extremes. There is nothing wrong with having fun. Also nothing wrong with being serious from time to time. Seems to me a little bit of both goes a long way.

Competition shooting and defensive training are both bad!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Only if you have a weight sewn into the pocket of all of your vests.

Oh this is embarrassing and you are going to laugh. But I actually wear unbuttoned shirts as a cover garment. I can buy short sleeve shirts at WalMart for about $10. Then I split the seams in the corners of the shirt, stick a washer in the shirt tail and liquid stitch it back together. The little bit of weight helps keep the shirttail from flopping in the wind.

Sometimes if I am wearing a windbreaker I put my car keys in my right pocket. :D

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Why can't we just agree there are a wide range of skills and interests in the shooting community and be okay with that? If you want to shoot competitions, I think that's wonderful. If you want to take a "tactical" class, I'm all for it. If you want to shoot single action shoots dressed as Wyatt Earp, fantastic. It's all a good thing for all of us.

If you think competition shooting teaches you to survive a gun fight and there are no other skills you might be able to use, well you might be right. And you might not. That will depend a lot on what your gun fight looks like. Its hard to predict. If you think a "tactical" shooting class will make you as good as a Master class USPSA shooter without putting in considerable hours of dry fire and range practice, you're smokin' some good stuff. Why does it have to be one or the other? Why do people who perfer one or the other feel the need to bash the other side? When you get down to it the basic pistol skills are pretty much the same.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why can't we just agree there are a wide range of skills and interests in the shooting community and be okay with that? If you want to shoot competitions, I think that's wonderful. If you want to take a "tactical" class, I'm all for it. If you want to shoot single action shoots dressed as Wyatt Earp, fantastic. It's all a good thing for all of us.

If you think competition shooting teaches you to survive a gun fight and there are no other skills you might be able to use, well you might be right. And you might not. That will depend a lot on what your gun fight looks like. Its hard to predict. If you think a "tactical" shooting class will make you as good as a Master class USPSA shooter without putting in considerable hours of dry fire and range practice, you're smokin' some good stuff. Why does it have to be one or the other? Why do people who perfer one or the other feel the need to bash the other side? When you get down to it the basic pistol skills are pretty much the same.

Please stop with the logic and reason. That is not what we do here.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

in the tactical world, reading all of that will get you killed.

Top Bottom