• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking at teaching this class again in May. Post your interest in this class below. I need 10 students to host an online class. Unlike my past classes this class will be held remotely via live streaming. You will see me teach it live and will be able to follow me as I use the software and web sites that you will need. Since you will be obtaining your own radios, I have broken the class into two parts. The first part will be a short class on programming your radio with the free software chirp. The second class will be my normal group comm class.

All the information I will throw at you can be a little overwhelming. For this reason I have set up a private skype group for all of my students. This gives you lifetime support for the questions you will have as you fine tune your own plans. Post them to the group. You will get the answers you need.

Seven years ago, I decided that I needed to be the comms guy for our group. I knew nothing. The local ham clubs were not really the resource I needed. I was not looking for a hobby. After seven years of tweaking old and new tech we have a solid plan, that we roll into all the training we do. This class is going to give you a seven year head start on your own plan.

This is not a ham radio class, radio is only a portion of a comprehensive plan. Zero experience is necessary.
    AGS Armament is hosting the class for us, when there is enough interest I will link the class here. Cost is $100.

Emergency Group Communications Class, Streaming Online via GoToMeeting.com

Thursday, May 7th 2015, @ 7:00pm - Radio Programming
    Thursday May 21st 2015, @ 7:00pm - Emergency Group Communications Class

These classes will be streamed via the internet using gotomeeting.com and the instructor will contact you prior the class dates.

The weakest link in any tactical or disaster environment is always communication. It is the most important and the most fragile. This four hour class is going to help fix that, and is the culmination of 7 years of trial and error. I know what works and what doesn't work. More and more people are taking it upon themselves to prepare for the uncertain. Power outages, tornado's, ice storm's, civil unrest, the list of natural and man made disasters goes on and on. The fact is, as an individual you are weak but as part of a group you are much stronger.

The four hours will be a combination of lecture and hands on training.The class will be broken into two parts. The first class will focus on teaching you how to program your radio using the free program Chirp. You may skip this class if you are able to do this yourself. Some basic working knowledge of computers is required. The second class covers the following topics

SOME TOPICS COVERED:
    Evaluating your group
    Hands on training with your new Baofeng.
    Gathering intel, using a mix of old and new methods and why this is so important.
    Six methods of outbound communications and how/when to use them.
    Basic understanding of radio communications. (This is not a full fledged ham radio class).
    Legalities of using ham radios and scanners.
    Lists and hotlinks for recommended gear, and programs you will need.
    Power and backup power for your gear.
    A plug and play emergency communications system for your neighborhood. (your future group may be next door)
    Step by step instruction for you to get the rest of your group up to speed, with an action plan.

**The Instructor, Jeff Lewis, will need the name, and email address of each student as soon as you sign up or no less than a week out from class.**

About the Instructor:
    Jeff Lewis started working on group communications in 2008 as he saw a need to improve the communications within his own preparedness group. Since then he has spent much time testing, radios, antenna's, applications, and procedures. Jeff is an eternal student, and the communications field changes rapidly. His way of giving back to the community is to pass on what he has learned to as many people as he can.

Requirements: Participants must purchase a Baofeng radio and programming cable. I will provide the links for the radio and cable needed for the class. Cost is $30-$40. Lifetime support after the class will be provided via a private Skype group.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Trigger, you will learn how to program and use the baofengs, and I can walk you through the Wouxan's also, they are actually a better radio, 3x the cost.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Students of my class can legally use their Baofeng or other Part 90 approved radios on our itinerant business band frequencies. You and your family can practice what you have learned before you study up and get your ham license.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Just curious... do you have enough emergency communications material to offer a 4hr class of just that, without the chirp programming? I'm considering signing up, but I'd skip the first half.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah I can fill the time easy. The programming class went off topic and probably went 3 hrs. The posts in the skype group could fill a book.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've taken his class in the past. It was outstanding and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it!

Top Bottom