Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    School: Tactical Response
    Class: Fighting Pistol
    Date: March 26,27, 2015

Instructors:

Calvin Lim: Primary Instructor, Calvin conducted most of the instruction and directed the firing line. Calvin was well prepared and it is obvious that he has experience teaching classes.

Jay Gibson: Jay is a scary dude. My natural reaction to Jay was to do what he said as soon as he said it. Jay was polite and helpful, but definately intense and I think he is incredible hulk strong.

Dave Biggers: Dave is a friendly fellow and he did not yell at us until 10:30 am on the first day. Dave has a lot of experience in the industry and you can tell he is at ease teaching and discussing gun culture stuff with strangers. It makes sense that he has worked as a corporate executive in the industry.

Gary Marr: This was Gary's first class as an instructor and he mostly worked in a support role. He did seem confident and familiar with the material and I look forward to taking classes where he does more of the teaching.

Students:
    Class Size: 20 students
    18 men, 2 women
    Experience levels ranged from experienced military combat veterans to a young man who received his carry permit 3 months ago and was attending his first class.
    Occupations ranged from Clergy to asset management, symphony orchestra operations, law enforcement, small business owners, factory workers, intelligence types, executives and at least one gentleman of leisure.

The students were a broad spectrum of race, sex, class, experience and training. I found our class to be a good broad cross section of gun owners in every sense.

Topics Covered:

Safety:

Tactical Response uses the following four firearms safety rules:
    1: Keep your finger off the trigger until your gun is pointed at the target and you have made the decision to shoot.
    2: Never let your muzzle cross anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3: Treat all guns as if they are always loaded
    4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

We also covered some other safety instructions including:

Do not try to catch a falling gun.

Every time someone calls "eyes and ears", everyone is to verify that they have their own eye and ear protection on by touching them and also visually verify that everyone around them has theirs on, plus echo the command.

If someone calls "Cease Fire", we are to immediately stop firing, remove our finger from the trigger and to echo the command.

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Gear:

Mindset:

Much of the class centered around the fighting mindset. We were constantly instructed and reminded to handle our pistols in a "martial" manner and never in an "administrative" manner. Every time we drew our pistols, we drew as if we were drawing on a threat, every time we reloaded, we reloaded as if facing a threat, we never handled our pistols "off the line" and we were expected to arrive at the class wearing loaded pistols and leave the class with loaded pistols, during the class, we kept our pistols loaded and topped off. Every time we removed a mag from the gun, we let if fall to the ground. Every time, no matter if we were running a drill or just swapping carry ammo out for training ammo. "No Administrative Gun Handling".

Tactics:

We learned and practiced a variety of tactics that we could employ to give us and advantage in the fight.

F, A, S, T

Fight: Shoot, stab, punch, shove, whatever it takes to stop the threat.

Assess: Do I need to shoot the threat again?

Scan: Does anyone else need to be shot? Is there a better place I can be? (maybe accross the street behind a car, maybe a few blocks away in my car)

Top Off/Take off: Put more ammo in the gun, MOVE

Skills:

We covered sight aligment and sight picture, proper grip, trigger press, drawing and reholstering.

We did not cover at all or very much:
    Stance

I do not remember a discussion of stance (weaver vs isoceles vs modified isosceles). An instructor did recommend the book "Surgical Speed Shooting" which covers stance, but if the instructors themselves mentioned stance, I forgot it. The instructors might have been coaching stance on the line 1 on 1 with the students, but noone said anything to me and I did not notice them saying anything to anyone else about stance either.

Gear:
    We really did not talk about gear that much. Aside from some good natured ribbing, there were no big deals made of students carrying Glocks or anything else. Gear is the least important part of the discussion.

My gear: I used a Glock 19 carried in a Henry Holster OWB holster and an LCP in a cheap Uncle Mike's ankle holster.

My Glock is a factory Gen 4 except I swapped the sights for Trijicon HD's. The Trijicons are fine sights for shooting and excellent for racking the slide one handed. I saw some students having trouble getting their rear sights to catch on their belts and whatever I hit with the HD's caught and worked fine to rack them. The Henry Holster worked perfectly as expected.
    The LCP worked fine for a backup gun, but the ankle carry uncle mike's holster was less than ideal because 1: you have to bend/kneel to draw/holster and that makes me feel pretty vulnerable in a fight and 2: it is very hard to holster the lcp while keeping my head up looking for threats.

I generally carry spare mags in my pocket and while I can see the definite benefit of carrying mags in mag pouches on your belt, I am likely to continue carrying extra mags in my pockets.

Comment on the Backup Gun:
    The equipment list mentions bringing a backup gun if you carry one + 50 rounds of ammo for the backup gun. I brought my LCP and +50 rounds. The instruction never specifically covered BUG's, it was more of an organic thing. When my main gun ran out of ammo, I reloaded with one of the extra mags I carried. When I ran out of extra mags, I dropped my main gun and pulled my BUG. The one time I ran my BUG outo f ammo, I dropped it and drew my knife. I was not put off by the lack of specific instruction regarding BUG's as it felt natural in the context of the class to use whatever tools I had in the given situation. I did find it to be a challenge to pick my main gun off the ground with my strong side hand, holster it, pick up a partially shot main gun mag fromt the ground, insert it into my main gun and rack the main gun all while keeping my BUG pointed at the threat. I guess for that experience alone, I am glad I brought my BUG. As an aside, one of the instructors called me over after using my BUG on a string and asked me how much BUG ammo I had with me. He told me that he wanted me to be sure to not shoot all the ammo I had for it because he wanted me to go home with a couple of mags worth and a full BUG.

Classroom lecture on deadly force:

OODA loop: Observe, Orient, Decide, Act

Cooper's Color Codes: Conditions White, Yellow, Orange, Red,

Physical and Mental effects of Adrenaline:
    Tunnel Vision, Trembling Hands, Memory Loss,

Principles of Personal Defense: Alertness, Decisiveness, Aggressiveness, Speed, Coolness, Ruthlessness, Surprise

Target Glances: We discussed watching a potential threat's eyes as they may betray their intent. A bad guy looking from your chest to your chin might be getting ready to sucker punch you, a bad guy who keeps looking at your gun might be getting ready to make a grab for it. A threat who keeps looking at the door might be checking his escape route.

Belt Line: Bad guys usually access weapons from their belt line. Watch their belt line and their hands. They might be holding a gun/screwdriver/hammer in their belt line, they might be assuring themselves that it is still there, they might be reaching to draw it on you.

Do not talk to the police (or your spouse or your buddies, etc) after use of deadly force: We discussed that you should tell your lawyer everything and the truth after a deadly force use, but you should not tell your friends and family or law enforcement about the encounter as things get complicated and you need to not give the courts/media enough rope to hang you. Bad things happen to good people, even in court. Shut up and only talk to your attorney and tell them the whole truth.

The three fights: Preparation, The fight itself, Aftermath (legal, emotional, physical)

PTSD: Common reactions to deadly force encounters.

Carry Your F'ing Gun: A great emphasis was placed in every part of this class on carrying your gun all the time. I can not overstate the emphasis placed on this.

Misc:

Tactical Response/James Yeager internet drama

Down Range Photographer: Jay was taking photos downrange and on my second or third string he came up to my target and stood directly beside it, taking photos and reminding me to ride the trigger reset. I did find this to be stressful and I do suspect this is the intention. At no time did I point a gun at Jay and at no time did this violate the four safety rules as established at the beginning of the class. After spending two days with these people, I am convinced that the "downrange photographer" bit is not a publicity stunt but rather an effort to better prepare their students for the fight.

Yeager's personality: Yeager stopped by the classroom session and said hello and came out to eat with us after the first day's class. He comes across as a focused person and I suspect that his "internet persona" is a calculated and intentional one.

Yeager is the boss: Yeager is the boss, he manages his company. You can tell that he cracks the whip on his employees and is actively involved. His employees take him seriously.

Why did I decide to take this class?

A small part of my deciding to take this class was Yeager and the drama surrounding him (good marketing). I wanted to see for myself what all the noise was about.

Much more important in this decision was the reviews and suggestions of people who I have trained under and worked with. In particular, Mudcat from INGO heartily recommended the class and having trained under and worked the line with him, I have much respect for him and what he says carries weight. Shay from Mindset Lab also recommended the class and having taken his intro to force on force, I respect his opinions on training. The AAR's from other INGO users also served to convince me to take the class.

Thoughts on Camden: Camden is a small town of about 3,600. It has a Wal-Mart, a few hotels, a handful of non chain restaurants and some chain restaurants. I thought it was a nice enough little town, not too bad getting around it and the people I dealt with were really friendly.

Housing: I stayed in the Camden Best Western and found it to be a clean hotel with exceedingly friendly staff. Next time I will stay in the team room if it is available to check it out. If the team room is not available, I will stay in the Best Western.

Would I recommend Tactical Response Fighting Pistol?
    Yes. It is worth the time and money.

Will I take this class again?
    Possibly. Once you have taken this class, you can take it again for 1/2 price. That combined with saving money by staying in the team room makes it likely that I will take it again if I can get a friend to come down and take it.

Do I plan to take other classes at Tactical Response and if so, which ones?
    I am now strongly considering Advanced Fighting Pistol and Immediate Action Medical.

What is the best advice I followed when I took this class?
    Writing my name on my magazines was advice I am totally glad I followed. After a string of fire, there were tons of mags in the mud and probably over half of them were glock 19 mags. Previous to this class I had simply written my initials on the base plates of the mag along with mag #. Right before I drove down, I wrote my first and last name with paint marker pen on the side of every magazine. That came in very handy.

What is the best advice I wish I would have followed when I took this class?

Everyone told me to stay in the team room, but I did not. While I had a great experience with the Camden Best Western, I wish I had stayed in the team room, both to save some bucks and for the experience.

Conclusion: I am glad I took this class. I learned some new tactics and met some new folks, but more important was the mindset they teach and practice. This is not a "target shooting" or "Competetive Pistol" class this is very much a "Fighting Pistol" class and the emphasis of the class is solidly on the "Fighting" portion. The instructors showed a clear desire for their students to take the class seriously and become harder to kill and better able to handle a deadly force encounter. Yeager is obviously intentionally developing a community of students and instructors who share a common set of values. He is building a little tactical world down in Camden and I suggest you check it out.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Good report and sounds like a good class too. I've got one question. you said that given 'no admin gun handling', everyone was to just let their mags drop to the ground EVEN if topping off their pistol. I think that 'reload with retention' as opposed to 'emergency/speed reload' is tactically valid in the 'top off/take off' context. What was the reason given for not doing then?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good report and sounds like a good class too. I've got one question. you said that given 'no admin gun handling', everyone was to just let their mags drop to the ground EVEN if topping off their pistol. I think that 'reload with retention' as opposed to 'emergency/speed reload' is tactically valid in the 'top off/take off' context. What was the reason given for not doing then?

I suspect they would reply that they only teach one way to reload so that you do not use the wrong way at the wrong time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I suspect they would reply that they only teach one way to reload so that you do not use the wrong way at the wrong time.

My guess is "fingers to flippers". Never been to a TR class but I have met a couple of their instructors. TR is not the only group out there that does not teach the tactical reload as part of topping off the gun.

Bubba very nice AAR thank you for sharing!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My guess is "fingers to flippers". Never been to a TR class but I have met a couple of their instructors. TR is not the only group out there that does not teach the tactical reload as part of topping off the gun.

Bubba very nice AAR thank you for sharing!

You are correct about fingers to flippers. They mentioned that they do not teach a reload that involves holding two magazines at one time as the lack of dexterity under stress is likely to result in both mags on the deck.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thanks for the kind words. I would like to add that for those of us in Indiana, there is great firearms training here for us without the travel and cheaper. In particular I am glad to have taken Mindset Lab's Intro to Force on Force before going down there as Shay teaches the same draw stroke and manipulations so i had exposure to that before I ever got to Camden and that allowed me to focus on other things. Really, I recommend TR's Fighting Pistol for many reasons, but I think it's a no brainer for hoosiers to train with Mindset Lab, ACT, Bright Firearms Training and our other local trainers before trucking down to Tennessee.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Most excellent AAR!

Anything taught that you didn't care for? Not being a noob to training, was there anything that you tried in the class that you won't be adding to your "toolbox"?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I was fine with everything taught in the class. I am used to being on a 180 degree line, so that took some getting used to, but I was not really put off by it. Some of the forward and rearward movement by students while shooting resulted in a very staggered line (The guy in the position three feet left of you might be six or twelve feet ahead of you/behind you). That was unnerving, but I did not object and do not object to it.

As far as my toolbox,

I am not sure I will adopt the 360 scan with the gun up as it makes me uncomfortable bringing the gun that far off someone I was recently shooting. I am leaning towards keeping the gun in a compressed ready with the muzzle down if that makes any sense while pivoting my head and waist to look behind me over each shoulder. On the other hand, after taking Mindset Lab's intro to fof, I realize that I am absolutely prone to tunnel vision, so I can see where the thinking is to break you out of that focus by moving your whole body. I am still chewing on that.

I am also not sure if I am going to totally throw out administrative gun handling. If I am shooting an uspsa course, am I going to draw, side step, present and call "Stop" when I am told to make ready?
    I will be kicked off my range if the more particular members see me moving on a reload with a gun in my hand. They do not allow drawing from a holster or any movement. It's not like I have another choice in the Bloomington area either.

Whatever choices I make about scanning and administrative gun handling, they will be intentional choices made with the benefit of education as opposed to just doing whatever, so that's something.
    I will have to consider these things.

How about you, was there anything that did not make your toolbox?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How about you, was there anything that did not make your toolbox?

The things I did in class but then discarded later were, 1) dropping partial mags to the deck on a proactive reload, and 2) racking the slide after a proactive reload.

I understand their thinking and don't have a problem with someone doing it. I just prefer another way and I've used it successfully in enough FoF scenarios to feel comfortable.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I was fine with everything taught in the class. I am used to being on a 180 degree line, so that took some getting used to, but I was not really put off by it. Some of the forward and rearward movement by students while shooting resulted in a very staggered line (The guy in the position three feet left of you might be six or twelve feet ahead of you/behind you). That was unnerving, but I did not object and do not object to it.

If that was unnerving, you better tighten up your britches for the Advanced Fighting Pistol class. It gets better (or worse, depending on your perspective).

I have taken Tactical Response Fighting Pistol twice. I have taken Advanced Fighting Pistol once. These were both early courses in my training journey. Together they probably did more to increase my comfort and confidence in my shooting and gun handling than any other live-fire class I've taken. I can't say for sure whether that's because they were some of the earliest, or because they cover so much material in the way they do. I think some of the things they do, like staggered lines, down range photogrophers, and the things in the AFP course are designed to do just that. They put you in an uncomfortable situation, not allowed on most traditional shooting ranges, and let you experience that before you really need to use those skills out in the world with a pregnant woman standing next to your target. I think that's the intent.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Each to their own, but I'm not attending a school with downrange photographers or the like. The military and many top shelf LE schools find ways to acclimate you to no shoot targets without real live flesh there in case you screw the pooch, and the products of those schools seem to do just fine in the real world. I'm also quite ok with a clear line being drawn between admin tasks and "tactical" tasks. There are times when slowing down and doing it "admin" style is just safer for everyone involved and there's really no cost to that.

That said, excellent write up and good info.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I am not sure I will adopt the 360 scan with the gun up as it makes me uncomfortable bringing the gun that far off someone I was recently shooting. I am leaning towards keeping the gun in a compressed ready with the muzzle down if that makes any sense while pivoting my head and waist to look behind me over each shoulder. On the other hand, after taking Mindset Lab's intro to fof, I realize that I am absolutely prone to tunnel vision, so I can see where the thinking is to break you out of that focus by moving your whole body. I am still chewing on that.

Don't just pivot your head. You won't see as much around you as you need to.

Top Bottom