With so much practice why am I not better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yes it is a somewhat rhetorical question, but I am sure many of us have been in this boat before. A recent thread here talking about how some of us here shoot upwards of 10,000-20,000 rounds a year but still aren't where we want to be prompted this. I have an answer for the biggest portion of my situation, but thought we would look at some other things first. Let's start off by examining this article by trainer extraordinaire Tom Givens.

What are S.M.A.R.T. Goals? by Tom Givens
    A critical step in increasing your defensive shooting skill is to be able to set up S.M.A.R.T. training goals. Think of it as driving your vehicle from your home to some other destination. You could drive around aimlessly and hope you eventually arrive at the address you seek. A better solution would be to get directions, plot them on a map, and follow those directions directly to your destination. That is our goal in S.M.A.R.T. training.

I've been teaching people professionally for over 35 years, for 18 years I owned a range where people often came to practice, and I teach almost every weekend somewhere in the US. On my range I frequently saw people come and practice with no plan, no goal, and little or no organization. When they left they were not one bit better than when they arrived, and they could have accomplished every bit as much with dry practice at home. In our classes no matter what part of the country we are in I see the same errors by shooters who have had a fair bit of prior training. The problem is, after the training their practice is unorganized, haphazard, and without real goals. Since they practiced so inefficiently they come to class shooting no better than when they came to the last class. We basically start over with these folks every time we get them in class. For your practice regimen to be of any real value you have to set goals and attain them. You can't just say your goal is to be a better shot, or to be "really good". That is so vague as to be meaningless. We need a standard to achieve and roadmap to get there.

For a goal to be effective and useful to you, it should be S.M.A.R.T.... S (specific), M (measurable), A (attainable), R (realistic), and T (timely). Broadly general goals, generally speaking, will not be achieved. So, let's look at each of these criteria and see how they apply to the defensive shooter.

Specific- each range trip or dry practice session should be planned around working on and improving one or two specific skills. The skill should be identified in advance so that you can have the correct supplies, targets, and any other equipment you need to work on those specific skill sets. Trying to work on everything at once leads to improving nothing significantly. It is far better to concentrate your attention on one or two skills in each session. In advance of your range trip or dry practice session identify the skill set you want to work on and then identify the drills that would help polish those particular skills. For instance if you want to work on accuracy, a bull's-eye course of fire may be in order, or perhaps one of the small dot drills.

Measurable- a time and accuracy standard gives you a metric for seeing if you are actually getting better or not. Never just blow rounds down range. Every drill fired and practice string should be critiqued and or scored, and targets taped or replaced so that you can see exactly where hits are going. Never rely on your subjective idea of how fast you're working, you will just about always be wrong. You can have a training partner with a stopwatch, or if you practice alone you can use an electronic timer to verify your progress. Many smart phones now have timer apps available, so there's really no excuse for not using a timing device in your range trips. To accurately measure your progress you can use standardized drills, exercises, and courses of fire. By scoring your targets and noting your time it's pretty easy to track progress or the lack of it. There are a lot of standardized drills that emphasize discrete skills with well-known time/ accuracy requirements. The FAST drill devised by Todd Green is just one example. You either get your hits into the 3 x 5 card and the 8 inch circle or you don't, and you either make the time specified or you don't. It's a great idea to use a small notebook as a log and note the date and time of practice, the individual drills worked on, and your scores/times. Tracking your progress in this manner gives you an accurate idea of how you are progressing.

Attainable- be realistic when setting your goals to avoid frustration and burnout. If you're just starting out as a defensive shooter, a 1.2 second draw from concealment to a hit at 7 yards is probably beyond your reach. Find your current baseline by shooting scored drills, record your score or time and set a reasonable goal for improvement. For instance, if a slide lock reload currently takes you four seconds, make your goal cutting your time to three seconds. Once you achieve that goal, make your next goal cutting the time to 2 1/2 seconds. Each time you have a major improvement, it is going to be harder to make it to the next level, so work in increments that you can manage. Trying to go from that four second reload to a two second reload in one jump is a lot to ask. If you shot the current FBI pistol qualification course at 75% today, make your next goal shooting 85%, rather than 100%. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Realistic- when setting goals take into account your physical attributes, your training resources (time, ammunition, and money), your equipment limitations, and the context for which you are training. For instance, it is counterproductive to set goals built around what Grand Master USPSA shooters do with match gear worn openly if you are wearing a compact pistol concealed under clothing in an IWB holster. If you are older or have physical limitations take those into account realistically in your training plan.

Timely- set a real-time goal for your desired improvement. This helps you stay on track and put in the work. If you want to improve one specific skill such as the slide lock reload mentioned above, you might set a goal of shaving the time from four seconds to three seconds in three months of combined range work and dry practice. If your goal is to reach a certain score on a broad course of fire that covers a lot of different skills, you might set a time limit of say, six months. As mentioned before, use a logbook to record your efforts and your achievements as you work toward your goal.
    Using the S.M.A.R.T. approach you can make the most of your training resources and I assure you, you will progress faster and get a lot more out of your limited training time.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Lets take a look at another recent article in a related field by Cecil Burch. Can anyone see themselves in this?

I Sucked At Jiu-jitsu | Immediate Action Combatives

Read the whole article, but it is summed up well in the last paragraph.

What was my point in publicly revealing this painful admission? My point is essentially this: if we have an activity that is worthwhile, we owe it to ourselves to make some commitment to that activity. If the activity does not merit that commitment, we probably should not be wasting the time on it at all. It is either important, or it is not. Only the individual can decide for themselves what is worth the time and energy.
    Whatever you do, put some effort into it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Lastly for now, lets take a look at a video from Gabe White. Yes it is an advertisement for the Keeper appendix holster, but there is more there, including Gabe talking about his goals and what he wanted to achieve. There are some similarities between Gabe and I, it is not our shooting skill, at least not yet anyway. It is more in how we started as big time tactical timmy's but realized that while there was much to be learned there, it was also holding our shooting back.

[video=youtube;updX6Qyddxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=98&v=updX6Qyddxk[/video]

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I'm not saying that YOU have bad fundamentals but if you keep practicing with and keep repeating bad fundamentals, you will become very good at shooting poorly. I am by no means a professional caliber shooter, but I also don't put in the quality and quantity of training that they do either. I pretty much just go out to have fun. If I hit a 6 inch steel target at 25 yards I'm happy with that. If I don't shoot out the center of a bullseye I'm equally happy with that too.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm not saying that YOU have bad fundamentals but if you keep practicing with and keep repeating bad fundamentals, you will become very good at shooting poorly. ..

That is a part of it no doubt, but I know plenty of people who have good fundamentals but are still only mediocre shooters. If someone is okay with that, then they don't really fall into the demographic I am aiming at here.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    It's not that difficult to understand, really. "Practice" and "Improvement" are two different words, with two different definitions.

As INGO (though not many others, apparently) knows, "practice makes perfect" is not, nor ever has been, true. "Perfect practice makes perfect". The objective being to improve to the point where 'perfect practice' is possible.

Additionally, while we usually call it a "learning curve", usually mentally envisioned as the familiar "bell curve", improvement is actually more a series of 'plateaus', or 'steps'. One will practice and perform then reach a 'wall' where it seems like no further improvement is made. That 'wall' is actually the 'base' (or 'upright', if you prefer) of the next step. One must continue to work through that 'obstacle' and 'leap' up and over that obstacle and up to the next plateau.

Further, as the steps (and the individual) improve, the individual will notice that while the 'uprights' become shorter, the improvements become smaller. Initially, the steps are long, the uprights high, and the results of moving up to the next step are massive. As improvement increases, the steps are short, the uprights not as tall, but the improvements are smaller. Initially, the practitioner may be shaving seconds off his time, inches off his group. As improvement increases, he's shaving tenths of seconds, then hundredths, then thousands. Inch increases become half-inch increases, quarter-inch, and so forth.

The 'hard part' and challenge for the individual is to realize this, not become overly-frustrated at having hit a certain plateau, and keep in mind that by persevering, a 'sudden leap' forward will appear. That's the 'leap' up to the next plateau, and the same challenge will lie ahead.

Last, one will notice that, as they increase in skill level, always founded upon the basics, more and more the individual will develop their own 'style'. Their grip appears to be 'weird' or 'unusual' compared to what is taught by the basics. Others will try to mimic that style, without success, because they want to achieve that same level of skill.

This happens for one of two reasons: 1) Because the practitioner has not yet reached a skill level where such 'quirks' will work, and those 'quirks' may be more of a detriment than benefit, or 2) Because they have reached that skill level, but fail to realize that at that point they need to develop their own style and do things their own way.

True? Well, maybe ask Jerry Miculek, Michael Jordan, Pablo Picasso, or Elvis Presley. :yesway:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I didn't realize that Cecil was a Megaton guy. Excellent. And excellent thread. I think the SMART goal system is pretty good. Being much more specific with my goals has helped my BJJ, my shooting, my lifting, etc. I still suck, but I suck a little less every time I spend focused time and attention on specific goals.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    "perfect practice makes perfect" is a whole other ballgame than "practice makes perfect".

Then there's a thread that'll go for days on what constitutes "perfect practice"...

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Gabe White is a beast. I hadnt seen him in a video before but hitting that bowling pin, one-handed, while driving off the x... I'll have to work on that if I'm going to keep up. 0.70 draw to first shot.... I'll have to work on that too.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Gabe White is a beast. I hadnt seen him in a video before but hitting that bowling pin, one-handed, while driving off the x... I'll have to work on that if I'm going to keep up. 0.70 draw to first shot.... I'll have to work on that too.

Right? My BEST draw from open carry is in the high .80s. Concealed he's got me by a solid third of a second for a time I can consistently do it.

Which brings me to one point I'd like to add. Routine and intervals of practice. If I don't do dry fires daily I lose time. Not much. I'll fall out of the .80s and into the low .90s. I think that's what separates world class from merely good. Not only to they practice, they practice often and routinely, combined with specific goals and the like mentioned above.

"Talent is Overrated" is a pretty good book in this arena. It changed the way I looked at many aspects of what I was doing and while it never once mentions firearms training was instrumental, along with Ron Avery's videos, in gettin my draw to under a second.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Right? My BEST draw from open carry is in the high .80s. Concealed he's got me by a solid third of a second for a time I can consistently do it.

Which brings me to one point I'd like to add. Routine and intervals of practice. If I don't do dry fires daily I lose time. Not much. I'll fall out of the .80s and into the low .90s. I think that's what separates world class from merely good. Not only to they practice, they practice often and routinely, combined with specific goals and the like mentioned above.

"Talent is Overrated" is a pretty good book in this arena. It changed the way I looked at many aspects of what I was doing and while it never once mentions firearms training was instrumental, along with Ron Avery's videos, in gettin my draw to under a second.

I have heard knowledgeable people, better shooters than me, argue that drawing from the 3:00 position is the fastest position because of the gun starting near the wrist, and the economy of motion. When you add concealment, I believe appendix is the fastest. The gun is in front where you have greater dexterity for managing cover garments. Trying to manage concealment clothing at the side of your body is slow no matter how you do it. It requires motion in 2 directions in almost all cases.

I'm going to check out that book.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I stay 3 o clock because it mimics a duty holster. I don't want to pat myself down under stress to find my gun. That said when I needed it quick while jogging I pulled from my fanny pack holster on instinct.

Top Bottom