• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No, I am not thinking of starting one. Something that popped up in one of the other training threads spawned this idea. A member had not heard of a current who's who in the training industry, and I figured there are probably more than one. I thought we could put together a list of Hall of Fame level trainers. Not just all stars or popularity contest guys and gals, but honest to goodness difference making lifetime contributing trainers. There are some people who are up to the teaching level of this IMHO, guys like Paul Sharp, Randy Harris, John Hearn, but these guys are not everyday names for most of us. (I know, none of them are famous on the grand scale, but you get my meaning.) I am going to start with some names that you can agree or disagree with, and feel free to add some of your own. I am not looking for a measuring contest here, but more of a reference for newbies and a way to have fun.

Jeff Cooper
    Louis Awerbuck
    Tom Givens
    Ken Hackathorn
    Massad Ayoob
    Craig Douglass
    Clint Smith
    Chuck Taylor
    Dave Spaulding
    John Farnam

I have left some names out, and forgot others. I am sure we won't agree on all of the names that come up, but rhino and I can have the final word on who makes it.:):

Last edited:

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Boy, that’s a daunting task to assemble a list like this. There are so many out there, past, present, and up and coming that the list would grow rapidly. Here’s some that would land on my list of hall of famers (in addition to yours):

Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical)
    Bill Rogers (Rogers Shooting School)
    Jeff Gonzales (Trident Concepts)
    Larry Vickers (Vickers Tactical)
    John Shaw (Mid South Training Academy)
    Ken Good (Progressive Combat Solutions)
    Greg Hamilton (Insights Training Center)
    Bennie Cooley (CRTC)
    Paul Howe (CSAT)
    Jeff Chudwin (CCRPC)
    Rob Haught (10-8 Consulting)
    Gila & Marty Hayes (Firearms Academy of Seattle, The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network)
    Paxton Quigley (Armed and Female)

Man, the longer I think about this, the larger the list gets. We’ve had some great innovators in our community for a good long time. I think all of those listed above are still active, but you’d have to look them up to confirm.

Some honorable mentions, that are really bringing it:
    Frank Proctor (Way of the Gun)
    Mike Pannone (CTT Solutions)
    JD Potynsky (Northern Red)
    Pat McNamara (TMACS)
    Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics)
    Kyle Defoor (Defoor Performance)
    Jacob Bynum (Rifles Only)

Some that are now gone that I would definitely include:
    Rex Applegate (love him or hate him, he was cutting edge in his day)
    Paul Gomez (Gomez Training International)

Man the longer I think about it, the more names I come up with. I better stop there.

Tinman....

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Some honorable mentions, that are really bringing it:
    Frank Proctor (Way of the Gun)
    Mike Pannone (CTT Solutions)
    JD Potynsky (Northern Red)
    Pat McNamara (TMACS)
    Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics)
    Kyle Defoor (Defoor Performance)
    Jacob Bynum (Rifles Only)

Some that are now gone that I would definitely include:
    Rex Applegate (love him or hate him, he was cutting edge in his day)
    Paul Gomez (Gomez Training International)

Man the longer I think about it, the more names I come up with. I better stop there.

Tinman....

I agree with your honorable mentions. I think a little more time with the general population will put them up with the rest.

Bill Rogers is definitely someone I overlooked but would be on my list.
    Thanks for the adds.

BTW. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Erica.

Even Jeff Cooper can't "inspire" the way she can. And isnt every great instructor inspirational?

On a serious note, I would truly love to be in the tutelage of some of these guys. Sadly, some of them have passed, and I can only wish I could have learned from them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    This list seems, with a few exceptions (like Clint Smith), to focus on people who 1. Started their own commercial schools and 2. Focused on defensive pistol and carbine. When it comes to teaching the essentials of marksmanship, Bill Pullum, a name few modern shooters know without a trip to Google, should be at or near the top of the list. He is responsible for coaching hundred of National, World, and Olympic champions. Lanny Basshams work on the psychology of marksmanship was so critical it changed not only the way SEALs were taught to shoot, but how they were taught to think. There probably isn't an ISSF champion in the world or an Olympic champion that hasn't been to one of their camps.

Of course, neither of these guys had websites catering to tactical operators.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This list seems, with a few exceptions (like Clint Smith), to focus on people who 1. Started their own commercial schools and 2. Focused on defensive pistol and carbine. When it comes to teaching the essentials of marksmanship, Bill Pullum, a name few modern shooters know without a trip to Google, should be at or near the top of the list. He is responsible for coaching hundred of National, World, and Olympic champions. Lanny Basshams work on the psychology of marksmanship was so critical it changed not only the way SEALs were taught to shoot, but how they were taught to think. There probably isn't an ISSF champion in the world or an Olympic champion that hasn't been to one of their camps.

Of course, neither of these guys had websites catering to tactical operators.

Which is exactly why I posted this thread. I am always looking to learn more. You are right of course that the list focus's on "tactical" teachers, as marksmanship by itself is not enough. That route doesn't even hold up in the action sports. It is a huge piece of the puzzle though. As to the SEALS and who taught them what, it is my understanding is that when they get to the elite Rogers Shooting School, they still have quite a bit of room for improvement.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    How does that route not hold up in action sports? How many action sports comps are won by AMU members? They still use Pullum's methodology when instructing their shooters. Same with Bassham. It held up for Hatcock and Jim Land. I'm not convinced the above lists don't suffer greatly from new hotness disease and the age of the internets.

of course the inverse is true as well, "tactical" shooters don't tend to hold up well in Olympic style or field marksmanship sports. Does that inherently discount tactical school instructors?

Last edited:

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    The guy from Gunsmoke?

Yep.

That's not me saying that. That's the man himself, Jeff Cooper saying that. Wyatt was only one of 6 instructors Cooper ever conferred Master Instructor upon.

Some people forget Wyatt goes back that far. He was Cooper's right hand man for a short time. They went on African safaris and everything.

Pretty high praise in my book.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yep.

That's not me saying that. That's the man himself, Jeff Cooper saying that. Wyatt was only one of 6 instructors Cooper ever conferred Master Instructor upon.

Some people forget Wyatt goes back that far. He was Cooper's right hand man for a short time. They went on African safaris and everything.

Pretty high praise in my book.

Thanks. I had no idea.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That was a shock to me when I learned about it too (watching the current tv show on Sportsman network). He's still very close to Mrs. Cooper.

Given that, I don't know if I'd put him in the Hall of Fame or not.

Top Bottom