Training Priorities: Which Classes Should I Take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    We have talked about this before here, but the writer of this blog does a pretty good job of laying it out. I do see one glaring omission, but maybe it fits into one of his categories and I just didn't spot it.

Training Priorities: Which Classes Should I Take?

Conclusion:
    One of the most important skill sets we can develop for life in general, and survival specifically, is critical thinking and sound decision-making skills. If we legitimately develop those skills, and apply them to determining training priorities, it becomes readily apparent, what direction our training planning should follow.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Conclusion:
    One of the most important skill sets we can develop for life in general, and survival specifically, is critical thinking and sound decision-making skills. If we legitimately develop those skills, and apply them to determining training priorities, it becomes readily apparent, what direction our training planning should follow.

Those without this skill probably did not listen to their high school history teacher.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I liked the blog post, and now I might read more from this guy.

I also disagree on the no medical in the list. From a preparedness perspective, some basic to moderate wound treatment would be the first thing I would recommend to any blank slate. Just statistically, one is way more likely to be in a situation where having a dressing or tourniquet, and knowing how to use it, matters than knowing how to shoot. Though, I can give someone the benefit of the doubt; the basics can be learned pretty well through study and practice on a partner. You don't NEED much in the way of training for that baseline.

The gist of the list makes sense to me, and I liked the way he led the reader down the path of recognizing how, while it may be awesome and super fun, getting plated up and running carbine drills probably shouldn't be a priority for most people. At least not until you have some hand skills and are good with what you can carry all the time.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    And look at the fine, upstanding citizen I turned out to be. High school performance is not always an indicator of future success.

If I were simply to yield to that statement I could simply say true.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is it wise at this juncture to antagonize the boy, Coach?

I am not doing that. I am simply stating facts. The facts in this event are not in dispute. I would not even dispute his conclusions. No one knows more than me that school can suck. I have been in school for 40 of the 45 years I have been alive. I am fairly experienced.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If I am honest, my two biggest regrets about school (both high school and college) were that I did not perform to my potential academically and retain the information I should have, and that I did not participate in athletic programs like high school wrestling, or the college Judo club. I can imagine where I'd be professionally if I'd pursued my studies with a focus and enthusiasm. I can imagine where I'd be physically and health wise if I'd participated in activities that kept me active and fit. Instead I wasted that time. The main thing I learned was how to operate in a structured system, getting maximum benefit per unit of effort. This is a skill set that comes in handy in a mega corp environment, but maybe isnt the right attitude to maximize personal success.

I was short-sighted and I couldn't see the potential I wasted, or the results I could have had if I'd done it differently. Or, maybe I'd have done all that and ended up working at McDonalds. who knows. (Not that there's anything wrong with McDonalds.)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    INGO doesn't have enough disk space for me to discuss my regrets, where I went wrong, what I've have done differently, and most importantly, what happened to my future.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    INGO doesn't have enough disk space for me to discuss my regrets, where I went wrong, what I've have done differently, and most importantly, what happened to my future.

Whining about a misplaced future is the reason you can't see it in front of you. Make your dreams real, rhino.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Take a class that teaches you how to FIGHT with your gun, and not just punch holes in paper. If you're at a class and you regularly hear the phrase, "unload, show clear" after each drill, leave immediately.

And get medical training. And legal training. That's where I tell people to start.

Top Bottom