• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Dry fire sucks. I get it. It's boring, it's repetitive, it doesn't make any noise, there's no hole in anything when you do it (if you did it right, anyway), and what can you really learn from it anyway? So why bother?

Well, the same reason boxers don't practice boxing against a real opponent 100% of the time. Working a bag that just stands there and swings a little is a poor substitute for a real person...except it isn't. It's a great way to practice the fundamentals (and conditioning, but staying on topic...).

Dry fire lets you practice your draw, getting a consistent grip and presentation. A consistent grip is key to consistent shooting, it's the foundation the whole house is built on. You don't need to shoot to verify your indexing is correct and that your presentation is smooth. You don't need to shoot to verify your support hand is mating up correctly, and that your grip is complete before your sights are on target. You don't need to shoot to verify you are pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights.

If you aren't dry firing, try this drill for a week and see if it doesn't improve your results between live fires.

Empty your gun. No magazines, no cartridge in the chamber/cylinder/etc. Check twice. One more time. Good.

Do not use a target. Use a blank wall, a turned off television, something with no points of reference. I want you to concentrate on the sights and the sights alone. You are going to work backwards from a presentation to the holster.

For two minutes: Point the gun at an imaginary target. Pull the trigger without disturbing the sights. Relax a bit. Repeat.

For two minutes: Bring the gun in toward your chest as though you've completed 75% of your draw stroke. Push out to full presentation and pull the trigger without disturbing your sights.

For two minutes: Bring the gun toward your waist line as though you've drawn and just mated your support hand to your strong hand. Complete your draw stroke and pull the trigger without disturbing your sights.

For two minutes: Work from the holster doing your complete draw stroke and pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights.

That's it. 8 minutes of your day. Start off sloooow. No faster than you can do everything perfectly and consistently. On day 2, speed up a tiny fraction. On day 3, a tiny bit more. Do this until you're no longer consistent, then back it down and start over. You now know how fast you can go and know where the ragged edge is to improve upon. At that point, do a minute of slow and a minute of fast for each of the blocks.

You will see improvements in consistency and speed, and do so at no cost other than a few minutes of your time. Remember doing it right means paying attention to the sights, not disturbing the sight picture, and if you do disturb it figuring out why and correcting that issue.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    This will cost a few minutes of my time? Isn't there a way I can be an uberpistolero without putting so much into it?

Great idea, in spite of the excessive cost.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Dry fire sucks. I get it. It's boring, it's repetitive, it doesn't make any noise, there's no hole in anything when you do it (if you did it right, anyway), and what can you really learn from it anyway? So why bother?

Well, the same reason boxers don't practice boxing against a real opponent 100% of the time. Working a bag that just stands there and swings a little is a poor substitute for a real person...except it isn't. It's a great way to practice the fundamentals (and conditioning, but staying on topic...).

Dry fire lets you practice your draw, getting a consistent grip and presentation. A consistent grip is key to consistent shooting, it's the foundation the whole house is built on. You don't need to shoot to verify your indexing is correct and that your presentation is smooth. You don't need to shoot to verify your support hand is mating up correctly, and that your grip is complete before your sights are on target. You don't need to shoot to verify you are pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights.

If you aren't dry firing, try this drill for a week and see if it doesn't improve your results between live fires.

Empty your gun. No magazines, no cartridge in the chamber/cylinder/etc. Check twice. One more time. Good.

Do not use a target. Use a blank wall, a turned off television, something with no points of reference. I want you to concentrate on the sights and the sights alone. You are going to work backwards from a presentation to the holster.

For two minutes: Point the gun at an imaginary target. Pull the trigger without disturbing the sights. Relax a bit. Repeat.

For two minutes: Bring the gun in toward your chest as though you've completed 75% of your draw stroke. Push out to full presentation and pull the trigger without disturbing your sights.

For two minutes: Bring the gun toward your waist line as though you've drawn and just mated your support hand to your strong hand. Complete your draw stroke and pull the trigger without disturbing your sights.

For two minutes: Work from the holster doing your complete draw stroke and pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights.

That's it. 8 minutes of your day. Start off sloooow. No faster than you can do everything perfectly and consistently. On day 2, speed up a tiny fraction. On day 3, a tiny bit more. Do this until you're no longer consistent, then back it down and start over. You now know how fast you can go and know where the ragged edge is to improve upon. At that point, do a minute of slow and a minute of fast for each of the blocks.

You will see improvements in consistency and speed, and do so at no cost other than a few minutes of your time. Remember doing it right means paying attention to the sights, not disturbing the sight picture, and if you do disturb it figuring out why and correcting that issue.

Great advice! :+1:

All I am going to add is additional dry fires (2 to 5) on a "dead" trigger vs. just one trigger press each time. Those additional presses really expose any glitches in trigger control.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Great advice! :+1:

All I am going to add is additional dry fires (2 to 5) on a "dead" trigger vs. just one trigger press each time. Those additional presses really expose any glitches in trigger control.

What's a dead trigger? My hammer falls with each trigger pull. ;)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Good advice BBI. Very few ranges if any will let you practice techniques such as your draw stroke. Incorporating free dry fire fundamental practice like your suggested drill can help make the most out of pay range sessions.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I was dry firing before I knew there was a name for it :draw:. Good advice, it breeds familiarity with the weapon and a comfort in its handling.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Do all that above but with feedback of actual performance.

Laserlyte target: LINK

Laserlyte laser cartridge: LINK

This is how i practice also. I do add in shot timer on phone for a little time pressure and use
    Amazon.com : LaserLyte TLB-RT Reaction Tyme Laser Target : Hunting Targets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

I have the target you linked to also. The two little targets add transition practice to your dry fire routine. I am adding the use of these targets to incorporation of BBI suggestions into my routine and using the big target for the practice from the fractional draws. Add a shot timer from my phone to add a little time pressure to draws from my holster. Then finishing up with a couple minutes using only the small targets and practicing from fractional draw and also holster.

By that I mean blank wall with no point of reference (other than the sights) first because he emphasized sights as reference then adding in targets in a second run thru, so it doubles the time + 2 minutes for the transition targets.

A slight aside, I found out from classes this year that I am subpar in reloading so I also use the two small targets to shoot one, attempt a reload and shoot the second before it's random time turns it back off.

BBI has a great routine that costs nothing. If you have not, do spend $100 or so take a class to make sure grip and draw stroke are fundamentally sound so that bad habits there aren't further practiced into muscle memory, then, if you have an additional $150 and want to add a little feedback/reward into the routine, the laser targets are very nice.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Do all that above but with feedback of actual performance.

Laserlyte target: LINK

Laserlyte laser cartridge: LINK

If you aren't getting feedback from watching your sights, you are doing it wrong.

Targets can be confirmed in live fire. Using a blank wall forces you to focus on the sights with no visual distraction. You SHOULD be able to see exactly where your sights wobble and diagnose why.

Nothing wrong with targets, but there is a reason and payoff in doing blank wall drills.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Wall drills are awesome!

Even if I am using a SIRT for other dry fire stuff on the regular, I try yo do a set of wall drills a couple times a week for the reasons BBIs states. Ideally, I think warming up every dry fire session with a wall drill would be great. I might start trying that...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Toying with the idea of buying a SIRT pistol and just dry firing the snot out of it while sitting there watching TV. I do it at times with my off-duty guns but with a dedicated dry-fire gun, it will get a lot of use and I'm not even talking about using the laser inside.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Toying with the idea of buying a SIRT pistol and just dry firing the snot out of it while sitting there watching TV. I do it at times with my off-duty guns but with a dedicated dry-fire gun, it will get a lot of use and I'm not even talking about using the laser inside.

The SIRT guns are pretty slick.

If you're going to spend money, though, the Glock inert training guns have the same trigger press as the real thing and don't need to cycle the slide to reset.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    If you do your dry fire practice in a montage it doesn't take as long.:rockwoot:

Good advice for those who are either new to shooting (especially competitive shooting), or don't have access to a range where they can practice drawing and shooting (also cost prohibitive to shoot all the time). I also practice my reloads standing in front of the wall (revolver shooter), so I use a moonclip and dummy rounds to practice tossing the rounds into the cylinder.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    What's a dead trigger? My hammer falls with each trigger pull. ;)

Most semi-autos have triggers that do not reset if the slide is not run. DA/SA actions can be reset by letting the trigger all the way out.
    Anyway, instead of one dry fire, rack the slide, one dry fire, rack the slide, and so on, keep pressing the "dead" trigger after the first dry fire with what might be called "pretend" presses, which allows rapid dry fire without having to rack the slide or let the trigger all the way out in the case of DA/SA actions. This rapid dry fire will, very quickly, expose issues with trigger control.

Hope this helps.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Most semi-autos have triggers that do not reset if the slide is not run. DA/SA actions can be reset by letting the trigger all the way out.
    Anyway, instead of one dry fire, rack the slide, one dry fire, rack the slide, and so on, keep pressing the "dead" trigger after the first dry fire with what might be called "pretend" presses, which allows rapid dry fire without having to rack the slide or let the trigger all the way out in the case of DA/SA actions. This rapid dry fire will, very quickly, expose issues with trigger control.

Hope this helps.

Good advice. I have always used the light switch on the opposite wall instead of the empty wall. The trigger finger must be taught to move without disturbing the sight, no matter what the other fingers are doing with the grip.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    The SIRT guns are pretty slick.

If you're going to spend money, though, the Glock inert training guns have the same trigger press as the real thing and don't need to cycle the slide to reset.

Where do you get your hands on one of those, rhino? I've thought about it, but never seen one readily available...

Top Bottom