• ...and so much more!
  • LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    As requested in another thread:

On Oct 25th I had the opportunity to go to The Poseidon Experience (just off 96th Street in Fishers by the Home Depot) as part of a meeting for The Well Armed Woman IndySouth chapter. There were 27 or 28 of us with different skill levels and ages represented. There is a locker room for locking up valuables (there are no live guns or ammo allowed) and a couple of decent sized class rooms. The simulation area is at the very back of the building, with a roll up door (the owner, Jessie, told us they've brought a car in before for training purposes). The owners are both retired Navy SEALs. It's not a big facility but they've put thought into making the best use of the area they do have.

First we had an orientation to cover basic grip and stance (only weaver was covered, no isosceles) as well as sight alignment, trigger control and breath control. The explanations were easy to understand and clearly demonstrated. After the orientation we were divided up into 3 teams (because of how many of us there were) who were supposed to rotate through 2 stations. The first station had SIRT guns and IDPA type targets with sensors that beeped when we shot them. The goal of this station was to check our grip and stance (this is when one instructor walked directly in front of us as mentioned in another thread) and to start working on trigger reset to make shooting multiple targets faster. After all the ladies on my team rotated through this station, we moved over to the theater station. There we again used SIRT guns to play different games and we had our scores recorded (everyone has their scores recorded and entered into the computer so they can track your progress). The games were meant to help us with that trigger reset to shoot multiple targets faster idea. After my group was done, I stayed to watch the other groups. It took about 3 hours to rotate all of us through with most of us getting to shoot 3 or 4 games.

This was an eye opening experience. I struggled with a flinch last year that I've been making steady progress on overcoming. The first 2 or 3 shots with a SIRT gun in the first station showed me it's still there...but it went away when I registered that there was no recoil. Trigger reset isn't new to me, I heard about it from a TC I had in Ohio (and I'd heard about it before in an NRA Basic Pistol class I attended). The concept of combining trigger reset with multiple targets was new to me. Most of my range time so far has been shooting stationary targets while using trigger reset to avoid slapping the trigger. My biggest challenge was resetting the trigger when he wanted me to. I was doing bang-bang-move-reset-bang-bang while he (Jessie) wanted bang-bang-reset-move-bang-bang. I had to think about performing the sequence in the right order so I was slowed down. I also discovered I need work on acquiring the sights more quickly.

It was a positive experience and a lot of fun. The instructor's were all encouraging and never made anyone feel uncomfortable or out of place with their skill level or physical ability (some drills asked for shooters to move from a standing position to a one knee kneeling position). I wouldn't hesitate to take a new shooter in. They use SIRT guns until you've mastered the drills, then they move you to real guns that have a special magazine so there's recoil but no live ammo. So even someone who's sound sensitive can take training. No, it's not a substitution for the real thing in my opinion but it's definitely a good addition. We're planning on trying to hold our Indiana chapter leader Christmas Party there and I can't wait to go back. Questions on anything I forgot to mention? Please ask:ingo:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Did you do any defensive scenarios in the theater station?

None of the drills we did were anything defensive. Some were shooting multiple stationary targets (while not shooting others) while others were shooting targets that popped up for a set time before dropping back down. The first drill we did was a shooting range drill where the targets were turned towards us after we received instructions on where to shoot (A or B), how many shots and if we should be standing or kneeling (we were told to stay standing if kneeling was difficult or uncomfortable). There was a hostage drill I saw another group do where red and green dots popped our from behind cover. Shoot the green, not the red. But not anything I'd call defensive.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    What did it cost you and for how long?

We got there at 3:30pm, left at 7pm when his next group showed up. We got a special guest rate Became there were so many of us. I won't repeat it but I'd say if you can put together a large enough group (our minimum was 25), you might get a noticeable discount.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Cool, I'm going to check it out. I have a buddy who lives in INDY that I am trying to get more into guns. This seems like it could whet the appetite some to get him some exposure to training without being too intimidating.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I got a chance to stop by Poseiden Experience today for the first time. I was very impressed overall with both the facility and the staff.

I was also there as part of a large group. I'm involved in the Fishers P.D. Citizens Academy and there are 22 of us total, ranging from high school age up to a few senior citizens. It's a pretty good mix of men and women. One of the instructing officers even brought his son who was around 12-13.

When we first arrived we had a chance to meet Jesse and get a quick tour of the facility. He was a very friendly and approachable guy who took the time to try and learn a liitle bit about each of us and our level of familiarity with firearms.

We split up into two groups to make things a bit more manageable. My group started on the electronic range. We split up into groups of two and started with some basic target practice with the SIRT pistols. We were presented with a wall of 30 or so plates with a mix of green and red. The goal was to shoot the green plates and avoid the red. The purpose was so the instructor (Scott) could get a look at our grip and determine whether we could effectively use the sights.

I missed my first couple of shots because the lack of recoil threw me off at first. After we each got 2 rounds of this we moved on to some shoot/ don't shoot scenarios. Because this is a Citizens police academy the focus was on decisions officers must make regarding using deadly force, but these apply to armed citizens as well.

Some of the scenarios included a guy running at us with a knife (21 foot reaction time), a guy drawing from concealment and shooting at us, a traffic stop with a guy that popped up from the bed of a pick up truck with a gun, a teen attacking a woman with a piece of lumber, and a drunk guy randomly firing a pistol in an empty parking garage.

Because we had a lot of inexperienced folks, most of the situations warranted deadly force. There wasn't all that much true decision making involved, but we had time between scenarios to discuss the circumstances. Again, mainly from the perspective of LEO, how they roll up on scene, when they draw, etc. We did all of these without a holster, but they did have some on hand and I'm sure that they incorporate drawing into smaller group training or 1-on-1 instruction.

After the shooting portion we switched, and did a brief classroom discussion of what constitutes a threat that justifies deadly force (Ability, opportunity, jeopardy). The instructor for this portion was a former Marine and instructor at Gunsite in AZ. Sadly I didn't catch his name.

He also showed us the video of the brawl at Walmart a few years ago involving the family of nutty musicians that attacked police officers and resulted in one death and an officer shot. We talked about how quickly things can go south for officers and discussed how non-leathal options (taser and OC spray) aren't always effective. He ended the discussion by talking about Col. Cooper's color code for situational awareness and the importance of mindset.

It was a free flowing open conversation with a chance to ask questions as they came up. Overall the entire experience was pretty basic for me because I already have shooting experience and training classes under my belt, but it seemed beneficial for the rest of the class.

It was a very low pressure, fun, non-intimidating experience. Tbe instructors were all very friendly and accomodating and took time to answer questions. Jesse the owner seems like a really good dude and I will most definitely be back. I also plan to take my wife in the near future.

If you have a chance to go, I would recommend you take advantage.

Top Bottom