• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    That is kinda cool but I think I would do a face plant, ouch. Also, a major hassle to bring a treadmill to the range. When practicing shooting and moving here at home in the country we just set up a couple of cheapie plastic chairs and walk around them while shooting.

I would rather shoot from my hot tub. :D

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    That is kinda cool but I think I would do a face plant, ouch. Also, a major hassle to bring a treadmill to the range. When practicing shooting and moving here at home in the country we just set up a couple of cheapie plastic chairs and walk around them while shooting.

I would rather shoot from my hot tub. :D

You could do this in your basement or wherever at home with Airsoft or laser activated guns/targets.

I'm not sure if I would try it. One wrong step and you could shoot something you wouldn't want to.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    We have a treadmill and I like the airsoft/laser idea. I might actually try that sometime if I can keep the wife and pets in a safe place for a while. Probably use a low powered airsoft gun and I picture them flying everywhere. :):

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    The problem is that there is nothing realistic or even functional about this particular drill. As he mentioned in the video he is stationary in comparison to the targets which doesn't reflect movement in reality. Its no different than someone running on a treadmill with the high hopes that it will improve ones ability to run more efficiently on uneven terrain. It just doesn't apply. If someone wants to increase shooting performance while moving they need to train movement as it applies to real life.

Steve

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The problem is that there is nothing realistic or even functional about this particular drill. As he mentioned in the video he is stationary in comparison to the targets which doesn't reflect movement in reality. Its no different than someone running on a treadmill with the high hopes that it will improve ones ability to run more efficiently on uneven terrain. It just doesn't apply. If someone wants to increase shooting performance while moving they need to train movement as it applies to real life.

Steve

I'm not disagreeing with you. As far as practical use, you are correct. It is just something that would, I think, be difficult without quite a bit of practice.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe it's good to get your heart rate elevated and simulate stress but that's about it.
    Like Szorn said it has nothing to do with shooting on the move.
    He's walking on a nice even surface without having to take his eyes away from the sights, in real life you better look where you're walking.

Also I cannot wait for the future negligent discharges and accidents at the range/gym. :):

Watch me y'all! I saw it on INGO! :D

JGDc3mR.gif

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe it's good to get your heart rate elevated and simulate stress but that's about it.
    He's walking on a nice even surface without having to take his eyes away from the sights, in real life you better look where you're walking.

Also I cannot wait for the future negligent discharges and accidents at the range/gym. :):

JGDc3mR.gif

Another problem: Wearing your hat backward to improve aerodynamics doesn't work if you aren't actually moving fast! :):

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

JGDc3mR.gif
    I love the clown gearing up for the tread mill. Take it for the team ya damned fool.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Doing this with an actual firearm seems like a good way to put your treadmill out of it's misery. And possibly get some time off from work. (Disclaimer: I do not recommend this drill with a firearm). I want to try it with an airsoft gun just for its entertainment value. Not because it will make me a super ninja operator or anything.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    (can't see the video...)

But if you want to add some self-induced stress into your training, getting your heart rate and respiratory rate up with some sprints, calisthenics, plyometrics, etc can be QUITE beneficial.

if you don't think those things won't happen as a result of an adrenaline dump - you're fooling yourself. May as well train in a manner that you can attempt to have a similar physical response.

If doing a treadmill stunt as a...marksmanship stunt... Then so be it. If you can safely master that, then it will probably only serve to make you a better overall shooter.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The problem is that there is nothing realistic or even functional about this particular drill. As he mentioned in the video he is stationary in comparison to the targets which doesn't reflect movement in reality. ...

Bingo. Lots of simpler (and more realistic ways) to practice shooting on the move if that's what one wants to do. Why introduce to complexity of the treadmill on the range? Kind of comical actually.

I can see trying it in the basement with Airsoft as a preparatory activity (maybe to get a feel for things) before getting out on a real range with a real firearm, but that's about it. Then you move on.

Top Bottom