• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube;Of81h8Iclnw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of81h8Iclnw&feature=em-uploademail[/video]

Tactical *******ry, :hehe:.

:popcorn:

Yojimbo229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2016
    NY
    Good stuff. Shows his integrity being willing to splash some cold water reality onto the sleepy fantasizers ...whether it takes food out of his own mouth or not.

He could have a more DynamicallyBlackOps-tastic beard, though. :)

Yojimbo229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2016
    NY
    Thanks for posting. Great video.
    As long as one looks the part, they must be ready for anything.
    Roger that.
    My daily kit always matches my belt and shoes so I don't stand out too much. Just NVG, helmet, knee and elbow pads, chest rig etc. You know; the usual.
    Except that one time I wore my white plate carrier after labor day. Oh the shame I felt.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's funny when people question Dave Spaulding's credentials because he wasn't a military superman in a past life and thus cannot possibly be qualified to teach them how to use a gun to protect themselves.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    While I mostly agree with his comments, he is approaching a dangerous precedent in his thoughts. sure a normal civilian isn't going to need an plate carrier or helmet for self defense. But let's be honest probably 99% of all self defense only use handguns, so should we chastise people who train with an ar15? Or based on my interpretation of what he said.... Even owning one. When you start on that thinking of its like saying why buy a sports car because the speed limit is 60.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I saw this video last week - but I couldn't remember WHERE.

Thank you for posting it. It's fantastic.

Training with your battle helmet (lol), battle belt, thigh holster, plate carrier, and etc may be FUN...but is it really a worthwhile venture if you're after the best ways to protect you and yours while inside your house? Car? Mall? No - it isn't (IMO)

I'm not a LEO. I don't need to know how to do LEO things 99.58% of the time. I'm not a .mil member so I don't need to know how to do .mil things 99.98% of the time.

I carry a concealed handgun a lot of the time. I'm just an average dude that needs to learn (AS DO YOU ALL) how to best handle that handgun should a situation arise where I have to deploy it and/or actually USE it (May God forbid).

I'm not going to be walking around the mall or downtown Indy with a helmet, chest rig, plate carrier, battle belt, or a thigh holster awaiting an invasion of some kind.

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    Dave is such a down to earth guy, I just love hanging out and learning from him. So many are more considered with hardware (i.e. what pants you wear), when they need to be focused on the software.

Brett and Dave Spaulding.JPG

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    While I mostly agree with his comments, he is approaching a dangerous precedent in his thoughts. sure a normal civilian isn't going to need an plate carrier or helmet for self defense. But let's be honest probably 99% of all self defense only use handguns, so should we chastise people who train with an ar15? Or based on my interpretation of what he said.... Even owning one. When you start on that thinking of its like saying why buy a sports car because the speed limit is 60.

That might be a bit of a stretch. Having trained with Dave several times I know he is in no way averse to people owning or training with AR15s. He just questions the logic of spending the majority of time and money equipping and training for the LEAST likely situations.

What he is speaking more to is the phenomenon of civilian guys who go to "tactical entertrainment" (ironically a term coined by Larry Vickers who has done as much to foster this as anyone) classes dressed like Seal Team 6 (including armor, helmets, $300 pants, etc) learning(?) skills that are really of questionable utility for their own personal situations. I have known guys who will move heaven and earth to go do a rifle class but have yet to take a SINGLE criminal assault paradigm CCW oriented class other than their state sanctioned safety class to get their permit, yet they carry a handgun on their person daily and their rifle sits in the safe at home.....they are exponentially more likely to have to use the handgun if they ever have to use a gun, yet they cannot make time in their busy schedule to take a class that would actually facilitate those skills.

Dave has a hard time reconciling the whole "what they need vs what they want" issue. I know this because we have actually talked about it. You can make a lot of money selling what people think they want....but you sleep better at night making sure they have what they need. While I may not agree 100% with everything Dave teaches or why he does it, he does have a thorough grip of context. There are a lot of people in the "You Tube generation" who want to go do "cool guy" stuff and wear their gear and they spend a lot of $$$ doing it. Think Airsoft players and all the gear they buy. Some just want to go do it in a live fire environment . That is fine. It is their $$$. They can spend it as they please. Nothing "wrong" with that unless they are operating under the misconception that their rifle and armor fashion show team tactics extravaganza will have ANY crossover effect in making them more likely to survive a deadly encounter in a parking lot or an active shooter in a shopping mall. And don't get me started on the guys who really think they are going to run out of the mall, go "kit up" , grab their rifle and go back into the mall.....Even worse might be the guys who show up to the criminal paradigm CCW oriented class with a battle belt and drop leg holster.

Unfortunately there also seems to be a disturbing amount of hero worship in this industry....again I think that has been exacerbated by the you tube and internet forum stuff . It is like these "fanboys" draw their own self worth from who they look up to as a trainer not from anything they personally have done or who they are. As such any slight or attack on their hero equals a personal attack on their own ego. While this phenomena might have existed 30 years ago and maybe there were arguments like "Cooper Vs Chapman" or "Ayoob Vs Taylor" you just didn't see it play out on the internet for all to see....

In any case, my advice, for what it is worth is, in the words of Craig Douglas ...."Define the problem and do the work". If your problem is criminal assault then spending 5 days at the Tactical Dude Ranch Delta Experience might not be the best use of time or resources...but after all it is your money and if you just want a cool shooting oriented vacation then go and have fun! Not everything has to be serious. But not everything is of real practical application either....don't confuse the two.

Top Bottom