• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So my MO is to wear street clothes to classes. I mean sure, I'll run a tactical beard and operator sun glasses, but I have yet to don full battle rattle when training in a "public" forum. I gotta say that I've got a real hankering to go in full kit (operator ball cap in place of Kevlar helmet) to my next class. And then ask a lot of questions about taking out sentries and stuff. Do you ever just feel like doing that? Channeling your inner troll? I won't, of course. But I am sorely tempted.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So my MO is to wear street clothes to classes. I mean sure, I'll run a tactical beard and operator sun glasses, but I have yet to don full battle rattle when training in a "public" forum. I gotta say that I've got a real hankering to go in full kit (operator ball cap in place of Kevlar helmet) to my next class. And then ask a lot of questions about taking out sentries and stuff. Do you ever just feel like doing that? Channeling your inner troll? I won't, of course. But I am sorely tempted.

Don't forget the sage green jumpsuit and desert combat boots. And the nomex gauntlets. Gotta have those or you're just not cool enough.

And the comms. You need the Sorden hearing protection with a radio attached to it.

I have seen this. In a big name instructor's class. On a guy who never served in the military.

In retrospect, I wonder if his plate carrier had hard plates in the pockets. Those are kinda heavy and you look just as cool with the pockets empty.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So there's the dude in full kit, and there's also the guy who shows up wearing every piece of 5.11 gear you can buy. I like to call it the 5.11 tuxedo (but the vest goes on the outside). If it wasn't so expensive I'd go as that guy. But I don't know if anyone would get the joke.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So there's the dude in full kit, and there's also the guy who shows up wearing every piece of 5.11 gear you can buy. I like to call it the 5.11 tuxedo (but the vest goes on the outside). If it wasn't so expensive I'd go as that guy. But I don't know if anyone would get the joke.

lol. No doubt. I did see a morale patch that simply stated "That Guy." I now regret leaving it on the shelf. I'm not sure if wearing it would make the joke less funny or not, but it would probably make it more obviously a joke.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Is a beard required for both looks?

That's going to put me out of contention for the best dressed award.

I find that the plates help me maintain a "forward aggressive stance." Or what my mother would call, "bad posture." Potayto, Potahto.

Like turtle, only heavier!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    In retrospect, I wonder if his plate carrier had hard plates in the pockets. Those are kinda heavy and you look just as cool with the pockets empty.

I make a front "plate" out of Slim Jims. Skittles fit nicely in the silly AR mag holders and admin pouches.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Is a beard required for both looks?

That's going to put me out of contention for the best dressed award.

Like turtle, only heavier!

No beard is required for the 5.11 look. It is actually preferred if you are clean shaven, over weight, and have the look of a bumbling desk jockey. (More or less like me, but a little older, and a little fatter)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No beard is required for the 5.11 look. It is actually preferred if you are clean shaven, over weight, and have the look of a bumbling desk jockey. (More or less like me, but a little older, and a little fatter)

I thought you were talking about me, but I'm a lot fatter, not a little fatter.

RapidRounds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Sellersburg
    The real man to fear at those courses are the men that show up in the 5.11 tactical kilt! :D I must be honest, if I had the stocky build and a red mountain man beard I would sport it. Commando style... probably not!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I like the way you think.

I'm putting chocolate milk in my Camelback. Yoo-Hoo didn't work so well last time.

Rum and coke works well on those days when you're shooting a lot and don't have time to stop and refill. Diet coke if you're watching your girlish figure.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The real man to fear at those courses are the men that show up in the 5.11 tactical kilt! :D I must be honest, if I had the stocky build and a red mountain man beard I would sport it. Commando style... probably not!

I don't have enough leg hair to sport a kilt.

Rum and coke works well on those days when you're shooting a lot and don't have time to stop and refill. Diet coke if you're watching your girlish figure.

How about straight bourbon? Side benefit: it will sanitize the Camelback's bladder.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    A good instructor won't allow you to deviate too far from the curriculum so if you do have success in trolling them, please post it here so we'll know.

"That Guy" is in every class. He's usually the one we're always waiting on.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Kilt, you say? I'm not Scottish but I do have thin pale legs... so I could probably pull it off.
    Does the kilt ensemble allow for knee pads? And if so, do you just wear the support side knee pad or both?

Top Bottom