• ...and so much more!
  • ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Training Announcements

You can sign up (and pay for) online for most of the Boone County classes now.

To many of them were canceled last year. With opportunities like these, don't miss out on excellent training available close to home. If they don't fill the classes the instructors will eventually stop even trying to book classes here.

Any questions please contact the respective vendor. I have no authorization to speak on behalf of any of them. I just pass along the info. ;)

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    After attending the Edged Weapons class last week, I can highly recommend Tarani as an instructor. He is clearly very experienced at teaching groups.

The relatively short classroom portion was thought-provoking. He is entertaining enough to keep everyone engaged.

The training exercises were very appropriate for a 2-day class. I don't think anyone was given an illusion that they can now be a knife-fighter. The training was clearly differentiated towards being able to defend yourself against the more average criminal or encounter, and give you a moment's opportunity to evade if you can. For example, Tarani did not attempt to teach us how to take someone's knife away. He demonstrated it but said it would take at least 8 hours to teach it properly. He also said it's a risky move even for someone experienced in the training and not his first choice for self-defense.

We worked with straight-edge trainers the first day then practiced drawing our own knives and using them to discourage a threat at close proximity. The second day we spent more time on blocking, evasive maneuvers when the other guy has a knife, and then trained with karambit training knives. While training, there were few times where one's partner was to do any surprise moves. Most of it was specifically choreographed for the practice so obviously a real encounter would not be so simplistic.

I do think it's a useful set of tools to add to the toolkit in 3 ways: when you can't legally carry a gun, when someone else brings out a knife in close proximity, or when drawing the gun may not be in your favor due to position and proximity.

I will definitely take a class from Tarani again next year. I was really hoping they would bring the walking stick class back as I've never been able to make that one, but it looks as though it won't be on the schedule for 2018.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Excellent review. I train with Steve every chance I can. I believe this was my 15th class with him since I started training back in 2004.

After attending the Edged Weapons class last week, I can highly recommend Tarani as an instructor. He is clearly very experienced at teaching groups.

The relatively short classroom portion was thought-provoking. He is entertaining enough to keep everyone engaged.

The training exercises were very appropriate for a 2-day class. I don't think anyone was given an illusion that they can now be a knife-fighter. The training was clearly differentiated towards being able to defend yourself against the more average criminal or encounter, and give you a moment's opportunity to evade if you can. For example, Tarani did not attempt to teach us how to take someone's knife away. He demonstrated it but said it would take at least 8 hours to teach it properly. He also said it's a risky move even for someone experienced in the training and not his first choice for self-defense.

We worked with straight-edge trainers the first day then practiced drawing our own knives and using them to discourage a threat at close proximity. The second day we spent more time on blocking, evasive maneuvers when the other guy has a knife, and then trained with karambit training knives. While training, there were few times where one's partner was to do any surprise moves. Most of it was specifically choreographed for the practice so obviously a real encounter would not be so simplistic.

I do think it's a useful set of tools to add to the toolkit in 3 ways: when you can't legally carry a gun, when someone else brings out a knife in close proximity, or when drawing the gun may not be in your favor due to position and proximity.

I will definitely take a class from Tarani again next year. I was really hoping they would bring the walking stick class back as I've never been able to make that one, but it looks as though it won't be on the schedule for 2018.

Top Bottom