• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    When I started getting into ARs or even shooting in general, my Marine corps buddy told me to not add a vertical foregrip to my rifle or an optic before I learn how shoot the rifle. He’s from the older school before electronic optics and even ACOGs became more “main stream” in the military, especially on how the USMC now solely uses ACOGs for qualifications. Something that my friend scolds at every time it’s mentioned. I understand the need to learn how to shoot iron sights but I wonder with the changing mentality and combat training, wouldn’t learning red dots be easier to learn before going into iron sights?

I also wonder if a vertical foregrip is necessary. I’ve tried other things from a grip stop, AFG and currently I have my rifle without anything on an M-LOK handguard.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm surprised we have ANY old warriors around.
    No red dots on spears or arrows I don't think.
    I guess the old guys made due eh?
    Never had a decent war until all the cool crap came out.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm a believer in learning the fundamentals first, especially if that means doing it the "hard way."

If I can shoot accurately with iron sights, then doing it with a red dot or scope should be easier, right? At least that's the theory. I also don't like the idea of relying solely on technology. It tends to fail at the worst possible moment, so for me, I like analog systems. Keep it simple.

Once you understand the techniques and can execute the process the hard way, it's OK to let modern technology tale over some of the heavy lifting. But I think we all know someone who wouldn't be able to hit a target at 100 yards if their optic went down. Or someone who wouldn't know when to put gas in their car if the car didn't tell them when to do it. I don't want to be "that guy."

I have matured to the point where I want to keep things simple until I can ID deficiencies the the system and address them. Assuming a piece of gear will help seems silly until you can honestly say you can't perform well without it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    When I started getting into ARs or even shooting in general, my Marine corps buddy told me to not add a vertical foregrip to my rifle or an optic before I learn how shoot the rifle. He’s from the older school before electronic optics and even ACOGs became more “main stream” in the military, especially on how the USMC now solely uses ACOGs for qualifications. Something that my friend scolds at every time it’s mentioned. I understand the need to learn how to shoot iron sights but I wonder with the changing mentality and combat training, wouldn’t learning red dots be easier to learn before going into iron sights?

I also wonder if a vertical foregrip is necessary. I’ve tried other things from a grip stop, AFG and currently I have my rifle without anything on an M-LOK handguard.

The mentality is to learn on the the bare minimum needed to use the rifle. That being said, that should be straight irons for an AR.... I dont agree with this statement fully but thats how I learned. Red dots fail, scopes fail, blah blah blah, but honestly most of us will never see combat with an AR or ever even need to use one for SD, much less a situation where your red dot fails in the middle of a fire fight. I think its fine learning on a red dot or ACOG. If you learn proper trigger control, that allows you to accurately shoot irons (given you know how to line everything up), red dots, and scope. The way I see it, when people learn to shoot Remington 700s, they go straight to a scoped rifle. Why does an AR have to be different? I think it all comes down to use for the rifle... are you building if for SD or hunting? Or what do you want to get out of the platform.

I like a slick rail similar to what you have described as your current setup without anything on the 6 oclock position. I dont use veritcal grips on my ARs anymore (though I still have one on my SIG MPX SBR), for one reason.... With a full length rail (free float), that gives you the option of resting the rail on objects and using them for support. That ability starts to disappear when you add a vertical grip.... sure you can rest it on the grip it self (but its more unstable), or only try to rest on rail space in front of the grip, but I believe it just limits the options....

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Learn to shoot.

Learn the advantages and trade offs of the doo-dads.

Decide if doo-dads will help with the requirements you have for the rifle.

Do you know what a vertical foregrip is for? The trade-off? If not, why slap one on?

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    I would recommend learning on irons first, but if you do add it anything before getting experienced on an AR, I would only add optics. If you are new to shooting AR's, and you set the gun up the way you think you want it, once you shoot it awhile you will probably want to change it. Save some money and wait until you know what you want.
    Unless money isn't an issue and you just want experience working on AR's, then have at it. There is something to be said about knowing how to work on your own guns.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I like iron sights. I am more precise with them than a red dot at long range, and quicker with them than a magnified optic at short range. They're a good all-around way to aim a rifle. The main downfall with them is that they aren't cool.

Number one accessory for a carbine is a sling.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you are willing to put two hours into figuring it out, start with a good red dot.

If you are willing to put a day or two into figuring both out, start with Iron Sights.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have yet to see why one has to put a red dot on a handgun

Like most things, it has pros and cons. The pros aren't that relevant to me yet, but if my eye sight were to deteriorate to the point I had trouble focusing on the front sight then the RDS would be something I'd consider.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Dots are more intuitive. People are wired to be target focused instead of front sight focused. So the dot lets folks do what comes natural, look at the target or threat and still shoot accurately. I am not a fan of the dot but it has some things going for it beside poor eyesight. I agree with you it does not have to happen, but it is the new hotness.

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville

For me personally it is SPEED. Off the top of my head when I used a shot timery first shots on target from a draw were significantly faster as well as split times between shots. It doesnt make me any more accurate than irons but it for sure adds speed for me, the numbers didn't lie.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I like keeping them basic. All mine have iron sights. I've tried scope and red dot and wasn't a huge fan. They do have their place though. The distances I shoot at don't necessitate anything too fancy. :twocents:

Top Bottom