• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Many of us carry a flashlight as part of a self defense strategy, especially in weapon free zones where firearms and knives are a no go.

How many have practiced deploying it in the role of a striking tool, or even thought about the movements involved?

I found this video interesting.

[video=youtube_share;YYKZiSLS0o4]http://youtu.be/YYKZiSLS0o4[/video]

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I prefer a smooth bezel over pointy bits on my light. When using as a kubaton, I don't want to ask for any more BG blood on me than necessary.

Mindset Labs run some excellent light low light FOF classes. Highly recommended, eye opening.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I prefer a smooth bezel over pointy bits on my light. When using as a kubaton, I don't want to ask for any more BG blood on me than necessary.

Mindset Labs run some excellent light low light FOF classes. Highly recommended, eye opening.

Yeah, plus I don't know how he carries that thing with huge spikes without poking himself in the leg and destroying his pants.

Not to mention that it casts shadows when using the light if the spiky stuff are too long like the one in the video.

I carry a small AA light, good size to be used as a fist load.Still sticking out of the fist enough to use hammer fist strikes.

Even if you use a flashlight to directly hit your target you still need to know how to throw a punch, how to lock your fist and wrist, the foot work involved etc.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The first time I ever learned of a
    flashlight used as a weapon (I was a kid) my sisters husband who was a Marion county sherriff deputy (way before the merge) told me in the academy he had been taught to hold it (the old issues big ass d cell maglite) over his shoulder while pointing it in the area he was shining it. If needed it could be thrust downward to put a good beat down on an attacker. I was impressed I must say lol.

Now being all old and **** and a combat veteran i have learned many techniques with lights that blew my mind and I still have a healthy respect for. When I needed to "move" people out of my way I usualy put my muzzle or a suppressor right into their sternum. (We were taught this as proper if necessary. The whole in a hurry to find the actual people who want to shoot you and all thing and move innocent people who were just in your face and didn't get us telling them to get out of our ****ing way or on the ground) The light didn't stick out far enough on our rifles.
    They make aggressive (sharp) muzzle breaks for this reason. The Troy claymore (think I got that right) is one. Would ruin your day to get in your face or the chest.
    well they also have devices with "teeth" that attach to the end of your lights and also suppressors. I know GG&G makes one

talk about going midevil on someone lol

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Shay's flashlight course is well worth the price of admission. Then check out Cedartops MUC class. I think both of those are more useful then concentrating on firearms.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Yeah, plus I don't know how he carries that thing with huge spikes without poking himself in the leg and destroying his pants.
    Not to mention that it casts shadows when using the light if the spiky stuff are too long like the one in the video.
    I carry a small AA light, good size to be used as a fist load.Still sticking out of the fist enough to use hammer fist strikes.
    Even if you use a flashlight to directly hit your target you still need to know how to throw a punch, how to lock your fist and wrist, the foot work involved etc.

Check out LyfeGear.com. They have a "self-defense" flash light with spikes, but they retract so it looks and carries like any typical small flashlight. Here is a review I did for them Indianapolis self-defense | knife training | self-preservation .
    If you enter code SPT at checkput, you will get $10 off. Just for information, I DO NOT GET ANY MONEY from them!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Check out LyfeGear.com. They have a "self-defense" flash light with spikes, but they retract so it looks and carries like any typical small flashlight. Here is a review I did for them Indianapolis self-defense | knife training | self-preservation .
    If you enter code SPT at checkput, you will get $10 off. Just for information, I DO NOT GET ANY MONEY from them!

That's interesting but looks way to sharp for me.If I want to slice open my attacker I can just use a knife.:dunno:
    Also it's unikely you could take this light thru some security checkpoints (TSA and such) which is counterproductive.
    A flashlight is a good self defense tool because it looks inconspicuous and you can take it anywhere.
    As soon as you start adding fancy spikes (that retracts or not, I even seen some with hidden blades) you lose the inconspicuous aspect and turn them into weapons.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The first time I ever learned of a
    flashlight used as a weapon (I was a kid) my sisters husband who was a Marion county sherriff deputy (way before the merge) told me in the academy he had been taught to hold it (the old issues big ass d cell maglite) over his shoulder while pointing it in the area he was shining it. If needed it could be thrust downward to put a good beat down on an attacker. I was impressed I must say lol.

It works. The light has a life span though, and eventually you'll turn the beam comet shaped as the head warps a little bit from you using it as the handle as you thump someone in need of thumping. So I hear.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I couldn't afford the "name brand", Mag light, back in the day .....

I used a 5 cell "D" flashlight, a Brinkman, I think .....

Anyway, I carried it, if armed or not ....

I held on to the end, with the light,

and if I hit someone, they KNEW it .....

Top Bottom