• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    I haven't been up there since 2012, and I remember there were some empty 1 gal jugs being used as targets but now I have been told by a couple friends that you only use paper targets. Is this true?
    I've got a lot of aluminum cans I would really love to use as targets for my Ruger SR40C and my new Ruger American Rifle .223, so it was disappointing to hear, but I wanted to get some more opinions.
    I've also got a lot of empty whiskey bottles I'd love to shoot, but it's not necessary.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I haven't been up there since 2012, and I remember there were some empty 1 gal jugs being used as targets but now I have been told by a couple friends that you only use paper targets. Is this true?
    I've got a lot of aluminum cans I would really love to use as targets for my Ruger SR40C and my new Ruger American Rifle .223, so it was disappointing to hear, but I wanted to get some more opinions.
    I've also got a lot of empty whiskey bottles I'd love to shoot, but it's not necessary.

I'm not familiar with the club, but shooting glass is not a great idea regardless of where you ar. It's next to impossible to clean-up afterward and the pieces pose a hazard to anyone who may walk in that area. If metal cans are allowed, it's easy to police them afterward.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Paper targets only as per posted range rules. There also are people who stop and check compliance so make sure you have a range card with you and it is fully filled out. Also no guns allowed in holsters unless you are a LEO in uniform and on duty. The young dnr lady is easygoing but the older gentleman can be a real pain in the rear.

Rules are posted in each range area and the main board.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Paper targets only as per posted range rules. There also are people who stop and check compliance so make sure you have a range card with you and it is fully filled out. Also no guns allowed in holsters unless you are a LEO in uniform and on duty. The young dnr lady is easygoing but the older gentleman can be a real pain in the rear.

Rules are posted in each range area and the main board.

^^^^^ What hopper said ^^^^^

No holstered weapons is pure BS, but their range, their rules.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    I'm not worried about the holster part, just wanted to confirm the target issue :) :)
    Another stupid question, since I had gone along with my husband that time and didn't put any targets up, how does one normally put the paper target up?
    I live half an hour away, so I don't want to get there and screw something up or not have anything I might need (hammer, staple gun, whatever is used). I can also find it on youtube.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is this a public range? If DNR enforcement is involved I suspect it is. The state does not permit holstered guns on their properties. Which is crazy since they issue LTCH for other public places but do not allow it on their ranges.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Another stupid question, since I had gone along with my husband that time and didn't put any targets up, how does one normally put the paper target up?
    I live half an hour away, so I don't want to get there and screw something up or not have anything I might need (hammer, staple gun, whatever is used). I can also find it on youtube.

It all depends. At our range they have plywood backer boards that you staple your targets to. It is always a good idea to have a stapler and extra staples in your range bag. Not sure how the place you are talking about is set up.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    It all depends. At our range they have plywood backer boards that you staple your targets to. It is always a good idea to have a stapler and extra staples in your range bag. Not sure how the place you are talking about is set up.
    Last time I was there I saw wooden posts and stuff like that, but I am not sure if it has changed. It is public and the DNR apparently do make their occasional stops. They do have a facebook forum page, I could ask on there.....

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Is this a DNR property? If so, it's our range, not "theirs."

DNR property. When the older gentleman checked up on me and seen my gun on my hip he went spastic. To avoid the hassle I unholster once I get to the range and reholster when I leave. Until I win the lottery and build my own range I will live by their rules.

When I leave I turn in my range card and grab a fresh one to throw in my range bag. It allows me to go straight to shooting the next time I come and I prefill out everything except date and range used.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ya, next time you get pulled over use the old, "My taxes pay your salary" line. I usually got that one along with, "why aren't you looking for real criminals?" Guaranteed ticket at that time.

I wasn't advocating anything like that, but the mindset that somehow the DNR or its employees are the owners of that land and facilities is something that needs to be changed.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The fact that the RTKB is not recognized on public property that is specifically designed for shooting.

Top Bottom