Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Run or Cower?

Run or Cower?

I'll file this post under the broad definition of Tactics"

First, presume you are in a prohibited environment, you didn't ignore the GFZ sign, and you don't feel confident you have an opportunity to take him out. For the sake of this discussion, the fight in run/hide/fight is not an option. (Don't want to muddy the waters) So for instance let's say this happened in the secure area of the terminal, So you don't even have your folder with you.

Tonight I listened during the news to an "expert" say that your safest bet isnt to run, but to take cover behind a solid object. He gave no other actions, so I presume once that happens you pray and hope he doesn't come your direction or runs out of bullets.

Given the probabilities I've seen in hitting a moving target at an increasing distance, coupled with the others around that are likely to have his attention, I can't say I agree.

So presuming you have a clear path and are physically capable of beating feet at reasonable pace, and aren't in an open field with nowhere to go to, which would you say is better? Do you think it's safer to sprint away from the kill zone (30-50 yards tops )and take your chances on bad aim or cower and pray he doesn't get that far?

Sadly, many of us with a spare tire, bad knee, or remember vividly the Beatles playing live (or all of the above) don't have that option. What about those that do?

Personally I'm still relatively fast and will take my chances Forrest Gumping it if given the opportunity. I might seek cover at first to evaluate the situation, but no way am I going to wait it out.

Edit: for simplicity and to keep this from getting way OT, assume you are traveling alone. (Im sure it still will, its INGO after all... I already see glimmers of wandering) Too many variables for this discussion to increase the size of your party.
    Last edited by Cameramonkey; 01-09-2017 at 22:12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Just 1 shooter?

in an airport terminal, and alone (no wife or kids) I'd go for the run. There is probably enough objects in a terminal to bound away from the threat with out break cover/concealment for much distance.

Run. Hide. Fight.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Jet beams can't melt steel fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Run for cover, restart the OODA Loop, probably run again, Hide. Fight.
    FIFY

And assuming something like Baggage Boy who was armed with a pistol, That is my plan. Or wait for a distraction and run like the wind. I agree a carbine weilding attacker would have a better shot (no pun) as you run away.

I wish I could find the stats. Maybe they were from BBI, I dont recall. Actually I think it was a video on what to do in a kidnapping. And they discussed the accuracy of the average person at various differences and beyond 15 yards the likelihood of being hit was low and approaching single digits fast as you get farther away. Basically "you are likely to be killed if you get in the trunk, so if you can knock them down and run, your chances of survival increase exponentially if you can cover lots of ground.

Personally I'd rather die running or attacking than in a quivering pile like that French cop on the sidewalk. At least with those first two options I have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nojoy621 View Post
    Just 1 shooter?

in an airport terminal, and alone (no wife or kids) I'd go for the run. There is probably enough objects in a terminal to bound away from the threat with out break cover/concealment for much distance.
    Meh. I'm relatively young. I can remarry and make more. (at least the latter half is what I tell mine when they act up. "I made, you I can take you out and make another one!" Wasnt that Cosby?)

But seriously, yes. you can cover a Lot of ground moving sideways carefully keeping a pole/tree/etc between you and the shooter.

And dont be afraid to break the rules. "fire door, do not exit, alarm will sound?" Screw you, Im coming through. I dont mean sprint down the middle of the terminal. Diligent use of cover/strategic exits is key.

If I could run effectively it would be my number one planned tactic.
    Email: Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Keeper of the Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    If I could run effectively it would be my number one planned tactic.
    Since it's not, what's your next choice?
    INGO Classified Ad Rules
    INGO Forum Rules
    Click here to become an INGO
    Click here if you are interested in advertising

Quote Originally Posted by MontereyC6 View Post
    Since it's not, what's your next choice?
    Given the premise of the topic, I'd have to hunker down behind cover/concealment as well as I could. At some point, I'd have to make a decision if slow and deliberate movement seems less doom-proned than hiding. It would be very tough.

I do my best to avoid the scenario of the topic, though.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Keeper of the Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Given the premise of the topic, I'd have to hunker down behind cover/concealment as well as I could. At some point, I'd have to make a decision if slow and deliberate movement seems less doom-proned than hiding. It would be very tough.

I do my best to avoid the scenario of the topic, though.
    Same here my friend!
    INGO Classified Ad Rules
    INGO Forum Rules
    Click here to become an INGO
    Click here if you are interested in advertising

Quote Originally Posted by MontereyC6 View Post
    Same here my friend!
    So, if some day we're both trying to cower behind the same piece of furniture, I predict that we'll "realize" that we didn't put ourselves in that situation after all and then commence to producing cover via a bunch of bullets moving rapidly in the direction of bad people?

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast