• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Givens

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Memphis
    [FONT=&quot]We always advise students coming to our classes to bring a second gun just like the one they plan to use, so if the first gun breaks they can still use the same holster, magazines and ammunition to finish the class. We base this advice on the fact that in just about every class we see a gun break—not malfunction, but suffer a broken part that deadlines the gun until it can be repaired.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Last weekend we were in Oklahoma teaching our annual EDP course with Southnarc and William Aprill. We did not have a gun break in this class (unless you count a front sight that flew off mid-drill), but we did have a malfunction that had the same result as a breakage, at least temporarily. During a shooting drill, a fired case wound up backwards in the chamber of a Glock. This kept the slide from going into battery, so the student immediately did a TRB, per doctrine. No luck. He then tried a double-feed clearance. Still no love. At that point I stopped him, fearing there might be a bullet stuck in the chamber from a squib load. Only then did we see the backward empty case in the chamber! I broke a ball point pen inserted from the muzzle without dislodging the case. The student had to take the gun off the range and find a brass cleaning rod and beat the case out of the barrel.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is a good reason to bring that second gun to class. It’s also a strong reminder of the wisdom of wearing a back-up gun (BUG) when out and about. If this malfunction occurs in a fight, you won’t get it fixed in your lifetime.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I carry two Smith and Wesson M&P's on the belt with a spare magazine. That is more than a 50 round box of ammo on the belt ready to go. Same gun, same magazines, can access one gun or the other in nearly every instance. I can conceal the whole mess when required to do so.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Regularly carry one of two pistols (sometimes both). XDm and an XDs. I have holsters for and mags for both.

How many magazines would you consider a minimum for this class. And does capacity (single stack, 8 or 9 rd vs double stack, 19 rd.) have any bearing on the course.

I plan on taking the 2 day class in October.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Redundant gear can often prevent a mishap from ruining a training weekend, a match, or even save a life. rhino approves.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Redundant gear can often prevent a mishap from ruining a training weekend, a match, or even save a life. rhino approves.

I agree completely. The controls are the same on both of my pistols. I sold my Gen 3 S&W because it was a SA/DA and I didn't like switching back and forth.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Regularly carry one of two pistols (sometimes both). XDm and an XDs. I have holsters for and mags for both.

How many magazines would you consider a minimum for this class. And does capacity (single stack, 8 or 9 rd vs double stack, 19 rd.) have any bearing on the course.

I plan on taking the 2 day class in October.

I haven't done this specific class, but Tom packs a lot into his classes and there isn't a ton of wasted down time, meaning IMHO, the more mags the better. I would say minimum 5. I usually take about 30. Tom is also big on keeping a pocket full of loose rounds. That often comes in handy.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I agree completely. The controls are the same on both of my pistols. I sold my Gen 3 S&W because it was a SA/DA and I didn't like switching back and forth.

I haven't done this specific class, but Tom packs a lot into his classes and there isn't a ton of wasted down time, meaning IMHO, the more mags the better. I would say minimum 5. I usually take about 30. Tom is also big on keeping a pocket full of loose rounds. That often comes in handy.

I have BT covered Mike
    I can loan him one of my spongy trigger Glocks that I have about 50 mags for. :):

Top Bottom