• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My nephew wants to possibly get some basic handgun training. I believe he`s 27, never that I know of been around firearms, but has an interest in getting his carry permit, and carrying. Not certain, I forgot to ask my brother, but he`s either in the process of, or has his carry permit. He just received a Taurus .38 wheel gun from a relative. I told my brother that I strongly recommend he get training from a reputable, certified trainer. He needs the works, basic handgun safety training, understanding of the use of lethal force laws in Indiana, hopefully range time, and gun care and cleaning.

Who do you all recommend? His dad is south side, but he is near north side I think. Don`t know if the side of town matters much to him. Anyone you all know of who is good, and not crazy expensive?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A good place to start may be with Coach at Parabellum in Avon and/or with John & Joe with ACT.

There may be some other area INGOers, who are NRA certified, who may wish to chime in as well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The online NRA basic pistol class would be great for a 1st time gun owner / beginner. $60 & you get a nice reference book + could then take the basic pistol class from any certified NRA instructor. https://basicpistol.nra.org/

While you don't have to take a certified class from a certified NRA instructor to get a carry license in Indiana it will give him a good foundation.

There will be Revere's Rider's basic pistol classes this spring as well.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    gregr, you (correctly) mentioned Indiana law, I understand that Guy Relford is teaching that at the Indy Arms Co. near 55th & Keystone

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I have taken the Intro to Firearms class at Parabellum and the Introduction to Handgun class at Indy Arms. Both were pretty good classes, I thought.

There were 5 of us in the Parabellum class. The instructor (not Coach) covered all of the usual basic stuff in the classroom (safety, types of firearms, gun handling, ammo, self defense, etc.), spent some time on grip and stance, then we spent about an hour on the range shooting range-provided S&W M&P 22 pistols. The instructor moved around between the students providing feedback. We shot about 40-50 rounds. I felt that the class was a little superficial, but it was a good introduction for folks who had no prior experience with firearms.

I then took the intro class at Indy Arms. I think they plan on these classes being very small and, as it turned out, I was the only one in the class. All of the basic stuff was covered. We spent quite a bit of time in the classroom on grip, stance, and sighting using the empty Glock 19 that I brought to class. Then we went to the range where the instructor was right with me providing constant feedback. Shot maybe 90 rounds, took a break to discuss some issues, then shot another 60 rounds. I felt that I got quite a lot out of this class. I was definitely more engaged because I had gotten over my initial concerns about fireams and was shooting my own gun. I also had one-on-one instruction.

Firearms training ain't cheap. I definitely feel that it's worthwhile. I can only report on my experience, but my guess is that any reputable range that offers organized training would be worth looking into.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    NRA Basic Pistol or other in house classes will all be fairly similar. Safety, some basic terminology, grip/stance, marksmanship, general gun handling, maybe gun care and cleaning. This is different then an introductory personal protection or concealed carry course where a person is introduced to fundamentals like drawing the gun, malfunction clearance, reloading techniques, possibly some discussion about situational awareness and general legal discussions. Again most of these types of courses share a lot of similarity. You will be hard pressed to find a one day course that can cover all of this material.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    My nephew wants to possibly get some basic handgun training. I believe he`s 27, never that I know of been around firearms, but has an interest in getting his carry permit, and carrying. Not certain, I forgot to ask my brother, but he`s either in the process of, or has his carry permit. He just received a Taurus .38 wheel gun from a relative. I told my brother that I strongly recommend he get training from a reputable, certified trainer. He needs the works, basic handgun safety training, understanding of the use of lethal force laws in Indiana, hopefully range time, and gun care and cleaning.
    Who do you all recommend? His dad is south side, but he is near north side I think. Don`t know if the side of town matters much to him. Anyone you all know of who is good, and not crazy expensive?

We are on the north side and offer a basic handgun class that covers everything you mentioned and more. I can't PM due to post count not at 50 yet, but you can go to our website and contact me, Indianapolis self-defense | knife training | self-preservation or send me an email at selfpreservationtraining@gmail.com and I can give you more details.
    Thanks

Jeff

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I'm involved with teaching at Parabellum with the basic classes and assisting Coach with the advanced Concealed Carry classes.. You can check Parabellum's website for times and cost of the classes or PM me and I'll be happy to talk with him on the phone about the classes.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

Top Bottom