• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The weakest link in any tactical or disaster environment is always communication. It is the most important and the most fragile. This four hour class is going to help fix that, and is the culmination of 9 years of trial and error. I know what works and what doesn't work. More and more people are taking it upon themselves to prepare for the uncertain. Power outages, tornado's, ice storm's, civil unrest, the list of natural and man made disasters goes on and on. The fact is, as an individual you are weak but as part of a group you are much stronger.

The four hours will be a combination of lecture and hands on training.

SOME TOPICS COVERED:

Evaluating your group
    Hands on training with your new Baofeng.
    Gathering intel, using a mix of old and new methods and why this is so important.
    Six methods of outbound communications and how/when to use them.
    Basic understanding of radio communications. (This is not a full fledged ham radio class).
    Legalities of using ham radios and scanners.
    Lists and hotlinks for recommended gear, and programs you will need.
    Power and backup power for your gear.
    A plug and play emergency communications system for your neighborhood. (your future group may be next door)
    Step by step instruction for you to get the rest of your group up to speed, with an action plan.

About the Instructor:

Jeff Lewis started working on group communications in 2008 as he saw a need to improve the communications within his own preparedness group. Since then he has spent much time testing, radios, antenna's, applications, and procedures. Jeff is an eternal student, and the communications field changes rapidly. His way of giving back to the community is to pass on what he has learned to as many people as he can.

Cost is $150 plus $30 for a provided pre-programmed radio or you may bring your own baofeng UV-5R

Registration are at Mastiff Protection Services

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Any HT is fine. I do not own every make and model, therefore I can not teach how to use different models, plus that would really take the class off track if we spent time on more than one model. Ham radio is only part of the class. I will assume that any other models you have you know how to use and program.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've taken this class before and it was awesome. I'm a noob on comms and this class took me up a notch. I need to attend again.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Sailor will get you headed in the right direction. Thank you for that Salior. I took this class in 2014 and it started my journey into the comm world. I was putting a comm plan together last month and refered to the material from the class. It was relevant then, and still is now. Great starting point and great resource.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Dang it I have a wedding out of state that weekend with the in-laws. If it wasn't for that, I'd be taking this class again. That totally sucks for me, because I'm in need of a comms tune up.

Top Bottom