• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Okay, I'm not sure if anybody lives down or near Evansville and Chandler, or even near the Bluegrass Fish & Wildlife refuge. But off of New Harmony Rd, just a few miles from the Bluegrass Fish & Wildlife Refuge and a few miles from this large mine is a narrow drive that goes up to a very old cemetery. I'm not sure if it is technically Greenbrier, because it's too far from Chandler and still in Warrick County.Anyways, up at the top of this hill the narrow drive ends at what is used as a dumping area for trash right next to this little cemetery. There are no "No Trespassing" Signs or "Private Property", a couple years ago I heard people shooting up there as I was driving up to see the cemetery (I like cemeteries) and now there are 3 makeshift wooden targets with a small backdrop behind it, the top of this hill kind of dips down where the dumpsite is. There are shells from shotguns and cartridges from pistols all over the ground, you can see people will have bonfires up there and just hang out. There are also some lakes around that area where people fish. My husband is concerned that it is private property and I shouldn't be going up there and shooting, I've only gone twice, in the morning and only for like a half hour. The first time a guy was fishing at the small lake along the drive, he waved and didn't say anything as I was leaving so I am not sure. I like going there early in the morning around 7:30-8 AM when it is quiet and peaceful. But I don't want to get into big trouble.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm on my way to work and will try to locate the area and look it up. I actually appraised all that land when Amax owned it and later when the State bought Bluegrass. Done a lot of work on the larger private holdings as well.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I don't know what the site is, but as a general rule I stay off of any property that I am not sure of or have direct permission to be on. Lesson taught by county deputy many, many years ago near old coal mined land along a county road. I was in the frying pan, but didn't get dumped in the fire!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Looks like Millersburg Cemetery. South side of New Harmony Road just east of Wasson Road. All the land surrounding the cemetery is owned by Midwest Coal Reserves of Indiana LLC. About 2 miles west of the active surface mine and +/-5 miles east of I-69.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Looks like Millersburg Cemetery. South side of New Harmony Road just east of Wasson Road. All the land surrounding the cemetery is owned by Midwest Coal Reserves of Indiana LLC. About 2 miles west of the active surface mine and +/-5 miles east of I-69.
    Sounds right and yes that name definitely clicked although I couldn't remember off the top of my head, it looks like land that the coal mining would own and used to mine. I'm pretty sure those "lakes" are pits that they once mined. But what does that mean? Is it private, I don't think the owners of the mine go up there to shoot..... and there are a few other dump spots but this one is frequented by people with shotguns and pistols.
    So in other words, should I avoid it as far as shooting goes?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    At very least, I would never shoot myself empty while out there.
    It sounds like an isolated place.
    Can the "range" be seen from the road? Is there another way out, besides the one you came in?

If you do go, I would always carry a backup.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    They mined around the cemetery back when. That's why the elevation is higher. There is a real long history in SW IN of locals making themselves at home on spoils and reclaimed land. Most folks think it is perfectly acceptable to shoot like that. I think that attitude goes back to when mining companies tore out what they wanted to then walked away. With the reclamation laws we have now, companies have long term commitments to the land and tresspassing is more of an issue.

Up to you whether to keep going and playing dumb if caught but technically it is wrong.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Hmmmm.... yeah it is more isolated but the people I've encountered seem really nice out there. As far as another way out for a vehicle.... one way, but on foot there are plenty.
    I have two magazines currently, but when I did go up there I only used one while keeping the other one loaded with hollow points, that one I keep in my gun on normal occasions for self defense reasons.
    The plan was to go every Saturday morning around 7 or 8.... but... I might make it a rare occasion, maybe once a month or something just to be cautious.
    It really pisses me off that within a year of our moving to Chandler in 2011, they put us in the city.... before that we could have been shooting on our 5 acre property damn it.......

Top Bottom