Alien Gear just posted this really great diagram. Helpful for noobies like me!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    It is different for many people. Find the way to contact the trigger that best enables you to pull the trigger straight back.

Meanwhile: https://youtu.be/G8JX2hZR_6g

Edited to add: This is where dry fire with a laser of some sort is a great tool. I am a big fan of the Laserlyte cartridge inserts (LINK) but there are others as well. You get immediate feedback and can troubleshoot techniques like this without expending ammo or introducing other factors like recoil management.

You can accomplish nearly the same practice by dry firing and being very careful to not upset the sights during the trigger pull. You do not get the verification of POI but it is an alternative if buying a laser is not an option.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    It is different for msny people. Find the way to contact the trigger that best emables you to pull the trigger straight back.

^^^THIS^^^

At a USAMU clinic, they said to "let your trigger finger engage the trigger naturally". Different size hands, different size guns&grips, YMMV...still a good general rule visual aid

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Funny they posted a Glock on that poster. I've found that the first picture for most Glock shooters, produces a left of center pattern for some reason? Just a little more finger moves the pattern back to center?

62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    It is different for many people. Find the way to contact the trigger that best enables you to pull the trigger straight back.

Edited to add: This is where dry fire with a laser of some sort is a great tool. I am a big fan of the Laserlyte cartridge inserts (LINK) but there are others as well. You get immediate feedback and can troubleshoot techniques like this without expending ammo or introducing other factors like recoil management.

You can accomplish nearly the same practice by dry firing and being very careful to not upset the sights during the trigger pull. You do not get the verification of POI but it is an alternative if buying a laser is not an option.
    This is great info. Thank you! I was at the range last night and noticed I was going low and left. A friend pointed out I was anticipating. As soon as I settled down and really focused on being "surprised", my groupings got tight again. I really need to train myself out of that!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Is it just me, or do none of those handguns in the pics look aligned with the bones of the forearm?

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    This is great info. Thank you! I was at the range last night and noticed I was going low and left. A friend pointed out I was anticipating. As soon as I settled down and really focused on being "surprised", my groupings got tight again. I really need to train myself out of that!
    Focus is key and understanding the physics of recoil along with a mechanical knowledge of how guns operate are vital. I'd be cautious in the mindset of being "surprised" when the gun is fired. I'd rather know exactly WHEN it is going to fire instead. Follow your front sight through the recoil and really feel the slide cycle if you can. It takes time, keep at it! Just my $.02.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Getting good hits is not as simple as finger position on the trigger. Regardless of how much finger is on the trigger and where I have to press straight back to get good hits. I stand on the line with a dozen brand new shooters every week. Sometimes I am amazed at how they hit anything with the way they hold the gun and where they are at on the trigger.

Bottom line: Align the sights properly and press the trigger straight to the rear without moving the gun.

The diagram at the top of the thread is the place to start but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Meaning if you are getting good hits don't change something just to be "right". In shooting results are what matters.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Surprise is how you fix flinch. If you don't flinch, you don't need surprised. It works for correcting problems some bow shooters have. The other problem it is used to fix is punching the trigger. If you can eliminate flinch and punch, accuracy benifits. I agree that it is better to know when the shot will break. There is something to be said for the ability to hold the sights on target for seconds on end. Any one can do it rested. Not every one can while standing without a rest. I practice standing without a rest and just float the sights on the center of the target. Some days it moves around like a sideways figure 8. Some days it just sits rock solid. My goal is to have more rock solid days. My dream is to have all rock solid days. I get closer every year.

On a side note: That double jump on the rock solid days is your pulse. Shoot in between it if you know when the shot is going to break.

Top Bottom