Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    AAR Pt. 1

What a day!

I arrived in Wabash this morning early, about 0730 or so, to find a man in an orange hat at the gate of the club. I later found out that he is a member here, but I'll let him self-identify, if he so chooses, but I mention it because I found out he is a member because of my INGO hat!

Anyway, I was directed where to park and to leave my rifle in the car pending the safety briefing. Everyone got signed in and we were briefed as to rules. Then the whirlwind began. The rest of the day was consumed by shooting, instruction, and history lessons-lather, rinse, repeat, and before I knew it, it was lunchtime. I found it interesting that our instructors did much as many of us do here on INGO, concealing their names, which struck me a little odd in an "in person" setting, but I figure they have as much right to their privacy as we do here. We had our "shoot boss", a red-hatted instructor, and four "orange hats", instructors in training, all six of whom made it seem like there were many more of them, providing plenty of in-person instruction and feedback. I am embarrassed to say that I did not yet earn my Rifleman patch, but this is tomorrow's goal. It has to be, for if I am the cook, the army will starve due to malnutrition

The maximum score on the shooting test appears to be 250. To make "Rifleman", one must score 210 or better. My best so far is 187. The range is about an hour and a half from my house, and 0545 will be here early, so I am outta here for tonight. I would say "wish me luck", but luck, I think, has little to do with this.

Enroute to Rifleman!

Blessings,
    B

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Enjoy the second day even more than the first if that is possible. I believe it to be great training for the few dollars that it costs.
    If you haven't been to an Appleseed shoot don't miss the next one. Just go ahead and preregister today and make room on the calendar later. You will never regret attending. You will wonder why you didn't sign up sooner!

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    BoR,

Thanks for the mid-weekend report, I wanted to be up there but couldn't make it this weekend. I am certain Treadcarefully ran a great shoot, can't wait for the details.

Hawkhavn

BTW, everyone, don't forget the last Indiana Appleseed of the year is coming up on November 8 and 9 down in Evansville. Sure to be a great shoot!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What a day!

I arrived in Wabash this morning early, about 0730 or so, to find a man in an orange hat at the gate of the club. I later found out that he is a member here, but I'll let him self-identify, if he so chooses, but I mention it because I found out he is a member because of my INGO hat!

Anyway, I was directed where to park and to leave my rifle in the car pending the safety briefing. Everyone got signed in and we were briefed as to rules. Then the whirlwind began. The rest of the day was consumed by shooting, instruction, and history lessons-lather, rinse, repeat, and before I knew it, it was lunchtime. I found it interesting that our instructors did much as many of us do here on INGO, concealing their names, which struck me a little odd in an "in person" setting, but I figure they have as much right to their privacy as we do here. We had our "shoot boss", a red-hatted instructor, and four "orange hats", instructors in training, all six of whom made it seem like there were many more of them, providing plenty of in-person instruction and feedback. I am embarrassed to say that I did not yet earn my Rifleman patch, but this is tomorrow's goal. It has to be, for if I am the cook, the army will starve due to malnutrition

The maximum score on the shooting test appears to be 250. To make "Rifleman", one must score 210 or better. My best so far is 187. The range is about an hour and a half from my house, and 0545 will be here early, so I am outta here for tonight. I would say "wish me luck", but luck, I think, has little to do with this.

Enroute to Rifleman!

Blessings,
    B

I arrived the second day and again, a safety briefing (and a hot beverage for a cold day) began the day. We were soon on the line and I found that contrary to my expectations, my scores today started lower than yesterday! :xmad: Much patient instruction, repetitive attempts at improvement, and much help from a very dedicated group of instructors, and I found that even after the end of the shoot, the ability to continue to attempt the course still existed. I shot and shot and shot and near the end of the day, finally scored a two hundred and....... two.

I would be frustrated by this in and of itself, but on the seated shoot, I had a magazine failure, preventing two rounds from feeding. Considering the group I had fired to that point, either one of them would have been enough to score those extra eight points, but sadly, it was not to be.

Two hundred ten is the Rifleman score, and I'll not touch a Rifleman patch until it is mine.

On the upside, I believe I managed to get a few new members for INGO while there- I certainly hope so, anyway.

Enjoy the second day even more than the first if that is possible. I believe it to be great training for the few dollars that it costs.
    If you haven't been to an Appleseed shoot don't miss the next one. Just go ahead and preregister today and make room on the calendar later. You will never regret attending. You will wonder why you didn't sign up sooner!

You are correct. The only thing I regret is that my score was not enough.

BoR,

Thanks for the mid-weekend report, I wanted to be up there but couldn't make it this weekend. I am certain Treadcarefully ran a great shoot, can't wait for the details.

Hawkhavn

BTW, everyone, don't forget the last Indiana Appleseed of the year is coming up on November 8 and 9 down in Evansville. Sure to be a great shoot!

TC's shoot went very smoothly, Hawkhavn, and I'm looking forward to the next time out. You have men working for you who know what they are about.

Blessings,
    B

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    BoR,

I can 'hear' your experience in your words.
    How do you feel about yourself now?
    To have scored a 202 on your first Appleseed is a great accomplishment! Now, practice for 3 weeks and make plans to be at Evansville on Nov. 8 and 9, we'll get you over the hurdle real quick. Glad you had a great time.

BTW, none of the Instructors work 'for' me or anyone else. As my good friend PHenry down in Florida says, we all work for Lady Liberty. We're all volunteers and brothers (and sisters) on the line.

Hawkhavn

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Don't feel too bad. I hit 207 at my First Appleseed. So close but yet so far. You now shoot better than 95% of the shooters out there (maybe more). When you look at it that way, you are doing pretty darn good.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    BoR,

I can 'hear' your experience in your words.
    How do you feel about yourself now?
    To have scored a 202 on your first Appleseed is a great accomplishment! Now, practice for 3 weeks and make plans to be at Evansville on Nov. 8 and 9, we'll get you over the hurdle real quick. Glad you had a great time.

BTW, none of the Instructors work 'for' me or anyone else. As my good friend PHenry down in Florida says, we all work for Lady Liberty. We're all volunteers and brothers (and sisters) on the line.

Hawkhavn

I was the one behind the rifle, yes. The accomplishment, however, was and is on the part of the instructors who made it possible for 11 patches to be earned by a total of 46 shooters.

I can't make Evansville-too far and too expensive (figuring class fee, hotel, food, gas...) Besides... Four days after the election, I predict we'll still be having riots, and I think my place is here, using the skills I learned so far, if, God forbid, necessity should demand it. Despite my score, to paraphrase Mr. Nixon, "I am not a cook!" (for which fact I'm sure that any troops would be most grateful!)

I knew also when I typed that that the Instructors are not working "for you" in the sense of being your employees; I meant in your capacity as state coordinator that they run and teach at Appleseed shoots in your region. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Blessings,
    B

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I had plans to go, but found out about a month before that my niece's wedding was the same weekend. I do plan on going to the first one that they might have in 2009 in Wabash (Wabash is 30-40 minutes away for me).

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Guys, Alright, here's two of you that couldn't make Wabash because of prior committments. (That Guy, thank you for your service) and BoR you're concerned about costs. Why not get together in true INGO fashion and make a road trip? We had the Bloomington meet and eat last week and it was great to spend time with folks who had their priorities straight. Camping is free at the range or you could split a room and make it cheap in comfort? BoR, I knew you understood but if someone was just reading the thread I didn't want any misconceptions to linger. I can see you are also a man who knows what he is about. Hawkhavn

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    like stated earlier, I live only 10-15 minutes from Wabash. If theres anyone in the area when the next event is held at Wabash, I have a pull-out couch and would be interested in entertaining an INGO cookout for the event.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    We meant to go this past weekend, but we didn't get registered in time for the shoot. Going to Evansville in November, though.

I'm glad to hear (read) that you're going to Evansville, SW1, but I'll add for anyone else who reads this that according to the Appleseedinfo.com website, you can call up to the night before ((336) 879-2144) and get in. For that matter, even if you show up the day of the shoot, they can (usually) find a place on the line for you.

Come shoot!

Blessings,
    B

Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Bill of Rights;

It was a pleasure to meet you!!!!! Thank you for attending out Appleseed shoot in Wabash this past weekend. I, Bob Wyre, was the gentlman who greeted the shooters at the gate the first day. It was a privilage and an honor to do so. This was only my second Appleseed event, not counting the week long "bootcamp" this past August. This is a great group of people who have one goal-to rebuild our nation into a nation of RIFLEMEN! If I did not believe in this organization I would not have thrown my hat into their ring. I do and I did. In so doing they threw back an orange hat. That hat is the mark of an Instructor In Training or IIT. I donned that hat with a degree of reluctance. After this past weekend I wear it with pride and am looking forward to the next Appleseed shoot in Evanasville. I will be there.
    Do you rember what I said to the group first thing after our briefing? This stuff is ADDICTIVE. ALL of the cadre/instructors are VOLUNTEERS. Treadcarefully and Sheepdog drove in from the greater Chicago area and Alex, bless his heart, drove in from IOWA. I only had to motor in from the Ft. Wayne area.

Donnelly:

I bet that Hawkhaven and Treadcarefully would have consented to a cease fire long enough for an exchange of vows on the range..... But then again, that's my idea of romance....

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    You know...I believe there are two ministers who are also RWVA instructors. :)
    René Auberjonois' character in 'The Patriot' wasn't off base at all, there were several men of the cloth out and about on 4/19.

Bob, can't wait to shake your hand again at E'ville and you can tell me about Ramseur.

Folks looks like there is the nucleus of an Indy INGO caravan forming up here for the E'ville Appleseed shoot on 11/8-9. Get on board now! Don't wait until spring to get started. By spring you could be sporting the orange hat like IndyJoe will be and Techres, USAFE7RET and Bob Wyre already are! See if you are an American who knows what they are about.

We had one Hoosier Appleseed in '06 (the legendary Ditchwater I), 3 Appleseeds in Indiana in '07, 8 in '08 and next year will see at least 16, but don't wait, get started now.

Bob, you shouldn't have let the secret out like that! Who knew how much fun it would be waking up those inner Americans.

Hawkhavn

Last edited:

Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Hawkhaven,

You are indeed correct about there being a preacher among our ranks. There is also a preacher among us "who knows very well what he is about". That man would be 17Chap who earned his Rifleman patch this past Saturday!

Top Bottom