• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    What is Appleseed? I can't do the project any justice by trying to either define it, or sum up in text what the weekend was. I can though tell you what it isn't.

Appleseed isn't a shooting competition, however there are times where pushing yourself to do better than your previous shoots. There are also strings that are created to implement stress free fun shooting, with some friendly rivalry.

Appleseed isn't a run-of-the-mill "boy scout" introductory to fire arms, shoot the square from behind the line, event. However if you know nothing about firearms, this class is still for you. You learn to all but master your shooting technique, from the lost treasure of basics. This class will take you from peppering a piece of paper to shooting Military "Rifleman".

Appleseed isn't a bunch of topshot's opinions on how to shoot. there is a standardized flow set forth by the project Master Instructors teaching everything from safety, to controlling the rifle, to mastering the shot. Along with a standardized way of correcting problems and shooting patterns.

Appleseed isn't a militia camp, or propaganda enforcing recruitment center. However there is a clear safety command structure, teaching structure, and plenty of room for joining as a volunteer, and rifling through the ranks, with no experience necessary.

Appleseed isn't a political action group; however even though a majority of folks claim it to be apolitical, it is far from it. Appleseed highly endorses the Patriotic American. Expounding on the rich heritage of the Revolutionary War's events, the brave men and women involved, and most importantly the decisions they made to make a difference towards the idea of the country they wanted for themselves.

I would be shocked if you left an Appleseed not wanting to get involved in doing your part to make this country what you dream it could be.

Before going to Appleseed, I thought I was a pretty decent marksman; I was humbled. I thought I was safety conscious; I was humbled. I thought I knew how to mate my rifle to my body; I was humbled. I thought I knew my pre-American history; I was humbled. I thought I was giving back to the community, then I met the backbone of Appleseed; I was humbled.

If you think you have nothing to learn about shooting and have never learned the principles of Appleseed, I bet your fees, you will be humbled.

16hr and 400 rounds down range, I was challenged, encouraged, corrected, taught, determined, and successful. I can't say enough about the knowledge, patients, experience, and friendliness of the instructors (IITs, and shoot-boss). The range that hosted was fantastic in hospitality, and facilities (Hamilton County Fish & Game).
    And yes, I am an AQT Rifleman! :rockwoot:
    Rifleman.jpg

BTW, these are my personal views as a shooter, not supported or shared in anyway by anyone else associated with the RWVA.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Rifleman first time out?! You suck! Congratulations on Rifleman and a great thread. :yesway:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Congrats on making Rifleman your first time out! At a range I am a frequent guest at to boot! I would have loved to have gone to another 'seed, especially at a range so close to home, but I had to fly out of town today. Maybe next time.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Congrats! I hope to do one before the end of the year. What was your rifle set up?

The first day I shot my 10-22 American Classic with Tech Sights, by the end of the days my crippled eyes were shot and I couldn't even see the bottom four targets, and still 30 pts from Rifleman.

Today I shot my Savage BTVLS Bolt, with the Wotac, some of the stages were very challenging with the bolt, however the important ones (double pointers) were a bit easier scoped.

IMG_3044.jpg

Last edited:

ImGumbyD@mIt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Lafayette Area
    Hey redneckmedic, glad to hear about your experience. Appleseed in general ROCKS! :rockwoot: I have been to 3 now, first 2 to get to rifleman and the 3rd as an IIT. Have had a blast at every one of them and hope to do many more in the future. To anybody who has not been to one yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!? You will not regret it, I promise! :ar15::patriot:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Congrats and thanks for the positive review. I was planning to attend this same outing hat HCF&G, but a conflict came up for Saturday and that eliminated the possibility. Your review has convinced me to look for another opportunity.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    221 with a bolt action, that is impressive! Congratulations on the Rifleman score, but more importantly, thank you for going to a shoot and listening to both the instruction and the Heritage:patriot:

Btw: Loved the review. I wear an orange hat at the shoots I am able to help with, It is always great to hear such positive feedback of the Appleseed Program. :rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    HUZZAH! Great work, Rifleman RNM!! You have much reason to be proud of yourself for that performance, and our Founders would be proud of you as well. Thank you for the excellent review!

Come out with us and help out... either in an Orange Hat or in a Blue one... The IITs learn to teach, while the Blue Hats.. The Blue Hats make me wonder how the HELL we managed to do everything before Niecie came up with the idea.

I look forward to seeing you at a future shoot.

PS: To any AppleCore or IITs I don't have listed in this thread, if you want to be added to the list, drop me a PM and I'll get you on there.

Blessings,
    Bill

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Congrats, RNM..... I am waiting for my knee, to get better, and I will be going..... I "practiced" one time, at WW, with my Ruger 10/22, and it took me four times, to get a score high enough, to "qualify"...
    VERY humbling experience .....

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The first day I shot my 10-22 American Classic with Tech Sights, by the end of the days my crippled eyes were shot and I couldn't even see the bottom four targets, and still 30 pts from Rifleman.

Today I shot my Savage BTVLS Bolt, with the Wotac, some of the stages were very challenging with the bolt, however the important ones (double pointers) were a bit easier scoped.

IMG_3044.jpg

I'm looking at doing a Seed with my .308 bolt action. Any pointers?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Wanting to make it to the next appleseed, Can I shoot my ar15 there?

Depends, mostly yes, the one I did was rated for rimfire only, however a few folks shot .22lr via a AR platform.

I'm looking at doing a Seed with my .308 bolt action. Any pointers?

Bring plenty of ammo (400+ rounds)
    2 10 round detachable mags are a must for success (although been done with a cricket per urban legend)
    A big box for the brass (I'll take it off your hands at no charge if you want ;))
    The AQT is fast moving in a few of the stages, the standing definitely worked me over with the heavy barrel and scope (plus big stock) vs the tech sighted 10/22 I was shooting on day one.
    Working the bolt wasn't too difficult, once I found my cadence. For me it was breathing and cycling in harmony, I never saw the vertical axis in the scope moving on the 55/65sec stings as I tilted my entire "platform" in conjunction with working the bolt to keep my NPOA from shifting.
    Keep a low power setting if you can. I did use the 8x from 4x on the prone/prone string no problem. However after I qualified rifleman, I tried an AQT on 16x all the way through... 152, I had a very tough time aquiring my target when I ever got off it, and even shot my lane-mates once (5pts I might add :):)
    Depending on your stock, might consider a good comb overlay, my cheek kept slipping on that laminate stock, and I really need to adjust my eye relief distance (2") , the sling support really brings her in close, no biggie with rimfire.... could be stitches with a big center fire.
    Zero or know your 25m dope before the seed, make life easy on you.

The center fire will be tough on the 55/65 strings, you will loose a lot more time recovering from recoil. However if you hold a strong NPOA, you should be right back on target after recoil... in reality, good luck with that on the sitting position, I tried 4 different positions, never had a true NPOA sitting, and took me almost 14hrs shooting to find it standing.

Top Bottom