• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thought-provoking article-- thanks for posting it Jake.

Mr. Pannone really cuts it down the middle. I especially liked his tips for instructors on both sides of the "fence".

The question has come up here before "Do you only take instruction from those who have "been there"? It received some interesting answers.

When it comes to pure shooting I think competition guys are far better shooters. You won't find faster or more accurate pistol shooters. If one's goal was to shoot fast and accurate, they need to train with the comp guys.

But I think there is a point where there is more to defense than just shooting, and that's where other training is necessary. Rob Leatham doesn't teach defensive tactics, or decision making, or developing a defensive mindset. But boy could he teach you to run a pistol.

In the end, it is up to the individual to seek out instruction that is in line with their own personal situation, and from someone who is qualified in such matters.

And of course we could all use a little dose of reality sometimes. Carbine courses are fun, but rarely necessary. And the stress of competition isn't exactly like being in a gunfight. :D

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    No one knows it all.Learn as much as you can.Sometimes an instructor allways a student.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    This comes down to not taking all your classes through one person. No one person is going to be able to make you the best at everything. Go take a pistol course from a comp guy to get better with a pistol and then seek out a combat focused instructor to learn and train the tactics of a gunfight. Or the other way around, it doesn't matter. If you're looking for a fighting class then I can understand the whole "combat or nothing" mindset, but if you're only wanting to learn how to shoot better then that's definitely not the way to go about your training.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This was a well written and well thoughtout article that was ripe with common sense.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    I thought that was a very well written, un-biased article on the subject. EVERYONE has something you can learn from them. Even a complete idiot can teach you how not to do something. So one shouldn't limit themselves when it comes to learning.

I always found it interesting when someone says something along the lines of you can't learn from someone who hasn't "been there". I think to myself, what if I do learn from someone who has been there and (hypothetically) I "master" everything they have to teach and I teach that material myself. Since I haven't "been there" does that automatically make the material useless?

dt36

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    I recently took the Urban Fighter course with Iron sight Tactical and both of them where highly trained and very professional. It was a blast, i would recommend them highly if looking for a good group for training.

Top Bottom