• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I first came to know about Tactical Response back in 2008 when INGO first opened it's doors. Their then-President Shay (Shay) was a fellow Moderator and I quickly deemed him a "training evangelist", as he truly had a zeal for training and making people safer. Later when I had the opportunity to take all 6 of Shay's courses I found him to be an excellent instructor.

Then I came to learn about Tactical Response's owner and CEO James Yeager. "Controversial" is the word I would've picked for my first impression, as I had seen the BIAP ambush video on YouTube and later read the various reports that came out about the incident.

Curious to know more I reviewed Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol DVD set: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ew_tactical_response_fighting_pistol_dvd.html

The principles covered in the Fighting Pistol DVD had merit and made sense. I especially enjoyed the section on fighting mindset. At that point I decided that if I ever had the chance to train with Tactical Response I would do it without hesitation.

Fast forward to early 2012 and trainer Paul Gomez (RIP Paul Gomez) began actively posting much of his training material here on INGO. Through YouTube videos and well-written essays he conveyed an academic and analytical approach to gunfighting that I found unique and refreshing. As I learned more about his background the Tactical Response name popped up again, as he had previously been their Director of Training.

If trainers like Shay and Paul Gomez had come up through Tactical Response, then maybe there's something to be learned there.

Eight months ago James Yeager hit the YouTube marketing scene hard and has been putting out a video every couple of days since. The videos are often training or gear related, with his "SUCK" series being the most infamous-- "1911s Suck", "Bullpups Suck", ".40s Suck", etc.

As someone with a vested interest in promoting gun-related online discussion I began posting these videos here on INGO as they were uploaded by Yeager. And they were met with some controversy. Some labeled me a "Yeager lover", some nitpicked Yeager's style, his ego, and his choice of language and clothing, while others jumped to defend Yeager and Tactical Response and share their own personal experiences with the man and his company.

There was so much discussion here on INGO, in fact, that Yeager himself began to take notice. As a gesture of kindness (and a way to promote INGO) Site Owner Fenway sent Yeager a care package stuffed with some INGO swag, including a few hats, stickers, and t-shirts.

To return the favor Yeager gave an "on-air" mention of INGunOwners and showed some of the gear he was sent. But, being James Yeager, he took it a step further and decided to stir the pot by naming a few members by screen name.

You can view that video for yourself here (language warning):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5za7N-V6l8

As a 'thank you' for my participation in spreading the word about his videos he offered me a free class. He also offered jeremy a few things, but you'll have to ask him about those yourself. :laugh:

Never one to turn away a free training opportunity, even if its somewhat controversial, I sent an email to Yeager asking how to accept his generous offer. He quickly responded with instructions on how to register on the Tactical Response website. He recommended that I take Fighting Pistol as my first class with them, as it is their core class on which all others are based.

Looking at their training schedule I found many possible dates.

Tactical Response

After looking at my upcoming schedule I finally settled on Saturday and Sunday, April 27th and 28th, 2013.

I had to create a username and password on their website before I could register for the class. Registration was pretty straight forward. I had to agree to their terms and conditions by selecting "I Agree" before each section. They were simple things like "I am not a felon", "I am over 18", "I can safety operate a firearm", etc. Their rules for payment and deposits were clearly outlined as well.

One thing I forgot to mention on my registration was my interest in utilizing the Team Room. I don't think my "Tactical Response Experience" would be complete by simply staying in a hotel room. I've emailed them to find out how to sign up and am waiting on a response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LhhWTBuDM

So for now that is where I stand. This thread will be updated periodically as the date draws closer. I've had other INGOers express interest in joining me on this training excursion and so far I think Que is a definite GO. :yesway:

As you can imagine my plan is to document my experience in detail for the benefit of all INGOers. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and videos (depending on what is allowed) and will share my impressions here on the board. It is my hope that this will help de-mystify the man that is James Yeager and the company that is Tactical Response. I don't know what exactly to expect but I'm going into it with an open mind and a desire to learn.

From there you can be the judge. :ingo:

Last edited:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Be sure to mock the Glock 19 and sing the praises of the 1911 ...... :D

I took Fighting Pistol and Advanced Fighting Pistol and thought the experience was worth every penny. Say what you want about Yeager, I don't care, but I got along with him very well and would take more classes from him in a heartbeat.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What size shirt do you wear? We can go two sizes down and get you something that will be tight enough to let you fit in with the crowd.

You'll have to do the twitch on your own.

I.E. Go and have a ball. Hope it is a ton of fun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    :woot:

I cant wait to hear about your experience there.
    That's a shame that Jeremy is not coming with you to take his free pancake cooking class. :):

Dont forget to get me an autographed picture of Mr.Yeager. :D

Yeager is the only Instructor that I know who will let you stay at his house, very cool.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Sounds cool. Can't wait to check out your review of him and the class. I'm wanting to take a Tactical Response class (or more) in the future. Doubt I would be able to until probably next summer at the earliest. Scheduling and finances are to blame for this mostly.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Is Que like...uhhh a secret agent? CIA? Maybe you could hide Fenway and Full-auto in the trunk? You guys get to do a lot of fun stuff! Poor me!

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    You'll have a good time and you'll learn a lot.

Just an additional point about Paul Gomez. Paul worked for several training companies prior to Tactical Response. He worked for Andy at OPS, SouthNarc at Shivworks and taught at Tac Pro and NASA.

Top Bottom