• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We don't have a medical management forum, so since Greg talks a lot about training in this article, I'll just put this here.

Field Medicine for Terrorist Attacks | Active Response Training

I know Greg from a couple of training conferences, and he is a solid trainer. If you do not subscribe to his writings, you should. He disseminates a ton of quality information regularly.

I'm working on getting him over to host one of his TCCC classes soon.

Tinman....

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Barring schedule conflicts, I'd be in. One of my goals this year was to get to a medical class. A medical class with a vetted trainer who knows his stuff somewhat local would be too good to pass up.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Medical training should be high on everyone's list. Just make sure that you train in the stuff you really need before attempting to learn the "cool" stuff.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I met Greg for the first time this year at the Tactical conference in Memphis. He was easy to pick out as he was the only one there that looked like a professional bodybuilder. I had no idea he did trauma medicine training. His spot at the conference was "Responding to the Close Range Handgun Threat."

When I was in the Army tourniquets were still a last resort, barely better than dying, fraught with complications type of thing. As such they weren't even issued to us normal ground pounders, though we did do some training in improvising them. Fast forward to today and thanks to the wars we have been involved in most people recognize the value of tourniquets. Last year at one of our Trauma Medicine classes that I attended taught by Dr. Mead, tourniquets were a big part of the class. It was a little surprise to me when many of the things commonly believed to be good for improvising tourniquets, aren't. Greg touches on this in his article. Belts, usually too stiff, shoelaces, too thin, etc. Of course, I sorta figured if I just started carrying a tourniquet all of the time I would be set. (extra at the range.) The Boston bombings really changed my mind about that. I will be going back to practicing how to improvise a tourniquet. You never know how many you might need.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Medical training should be high on everyone's list. Just make sure that you train in the stuff you really need before attempting to learn the "cool" stuff.

:+1:

A lot of folks would be much better served putting the effort that they spend chasing down Quick Clot and chest darts into getting good at the basics...

Top Bottom