• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Alright, so I wouldn't mind picking up both... anyone know of any one local (Indy area) that can do the training for them?

I have not researched FL, but if you have an IN and a UT, you get 33 states. Since 14 will recognize none but their own (if any), there are only three others that recognize some, but not ours. Those three are KS, WV, and SC, and all recognize only resident permits/LTCs/whatever. This means that if you have an IN and a UT, you get the maximum possible number of states, unless one of those 17 changes their law, or the Heller decision or the Vitter bill changes it for them.

I don't know how many FL will get you, but I do know their permit is much more expensive. There are three UT-certified instructors in IN, and two are in Indy, as I understand it. The one I've found more reasonable and personable is Dan Moulder, who has a page here: Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class.

If you contact him, please let him know you got his name from the guy with IN Self Defense, up in the Lafayette area. Also, if you set up a training session with him, let me know. I want my UT also.

Blessings,
    B

ETA: I just checked. IN and FL will get you 31 states.

Last edited:

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have not researched FL, but if you have an IN and a UT, you get 33 states. Since 14 will recognize none but their own (if any), there are only three others that recognize some, but not ours. Those three are KS, WV, and SC, and all recognize only resident permits/LTCs/whatever. This means that if you have an IN and a UT, you get the maximum possible number of states, unless one of those 17 changes their law, or the Heller decision or the Vitter bill changes it for them.

I don't know how many FL will get you, but I do know their permit is much more expensive. There are three UT-certified instructors in IN, and two are in Indy, as I understand it. The one I've found more reasonable and personable is Dan Moulder, who has a page here: Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class.

If you contact him, please let him know you got his name from the guy with IN Self Defense, up in the Lafayette area. Also, if you set up a training session with him, let me know. I want my UT also.

Blessings,
    B

I'll be out of town 27th-3rd, but as soon as I get back I'm going to look into getting it. I'll probably try and set up training end of July or August. If you pm me your email I'll keep ya posted.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    If anyone gets a UT permit class going let me know when and ill be there. I have also been wanting to take the class.
    :thumbsup:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If there's enough interest to do this with the members here, I'll volunteer to be the contact point. I know it's a 4 hour, classroom only class, but I'm not sure where we'd do it. I don't have any locations in Indy that I can get access for us. I'll talk to Dan and see if he teaches at his range or what. End of July sounds like good timing for me, too, but not first weekend of August.

Who else is interested?

Blessings,
    B

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    anyone know of any one local (Indy area) that can do the training for them?

I want my UT also.

I have also been wanting to take the class.
    :thumbsup:

Lars and I would be interested as well, pending further details.

I also would be intrested

I am interested, depends on time and date.

The UT permit would be even better.

I would be interested

count me in.

I have been looking at FL and UT permits

Tentative date is 7/19/08.
    Cool, that's eleven of us, ("maybes" not listed as yet). Anyone else? :rockwoot:

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've had the basic NRA course from Pops, which is the requirement for the FL license, but I haven't gotten around to doing it because of the cost.

If there is no range portion, I might have a venue. As the Front Desk Manager at a hotel on Indy's southside, I might be able to secure some meeting space for little to no money. It would have to be a day when it would normally not be rented out. Sunday afternoons work well.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I would be interested, but I don't really know how 'useful' this would be? Any input on being able to justify the $210?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would be interested, but I don't really know how 'useful' this would be? Any input on being able to justify the $210?

If you want to carry in a state other than Indiana and where the IN LTCH is not accepted, then it's useful. Otherwise, not so much.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Carrying In Ohio legally is reason enough for me.

I'd be down for Utah and Florida licensing process classes.
    That is one state I thought it might be useful in.

As far as the class goes. Do you have to take it every time you renew, or is it a one time thing?

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I like the FL because... I go to FL every year... and while supposedly the IN has reciprocity there... I'd just be more comfortable if I had my IN and the FL to cover my ass.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

As it stands now, we can carry in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MO, MT, NH, NC, ND, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, and WY. The UT CCW adds DE, MN, NV, NM, OH, VA, and WA.

That is one state I thought it might be useful in.

As far as the class goes. Do you have to take it every time you renew, or is it a one time thing?

To my knowledge, it's a one-time class, with a $20 renewal every 5 years. If I find something official that contradicts that, I'll correct it. Correction: $10 renewal, every five years. One time class. :)

I like the FL because... I go to FL every year... and while supposedly the IN has reciprocity there... I'd just be more comfortable if I had my IN and the FL to cover my ass.

Do what works best for you. Me, I'd carry a copy of the relevant law with me and use the extra cash for either a new gun or more ammo. YMMV.

I've had the basic NRA course from Pops, which is the requirement for the FL license, but I haven't gotten around to doing it because of the cost.

If there is no range portion, I might have a venue. As the Front Desk Manager at a hotel on Indy's southside, I might be able to secure some meeting space for little to no money. It would have to be a day when it would normally not be rented out. Sunday afternoons work well.

That would be very cool, Evan. We have perhaps ten now, depending on details. I'll drop Dan an email and see what he is available to do.

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:
    Top Bottom