• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    About 10:00 am my wife and I were driving north on Promise road and just passed 126th street when I saw a large dog in the road up by the Hamilton County Airport. At first it looked like a German Sheppard but as we got closer two other dogs joined the first and then moved east onto the airport grounds. We passed probably about 200 feet from them and realized that they were not domestic animals but probably wolves. All three looked like they were cloned; and they were about the size of a Sheppard but definitely not one due to their features. I have seen foxes before but never wolves and did not think they were in Indiana. Has anyone else spotted wolves in our state and if so where?

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I saw something this at 146th and River Road a few months ago. I wasn't sure what it was. I was surprised how close it was to the school and neighborhood nearby.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I shot a coyote about 2 weeks ago that was the size of a large German Shepard.. IIRC, according to DNR, we have no wolves in Indiana,, but nothing would surprise me..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I shot a coyote about 2 weeks ago that was the size of a large German Shepard.. IIRC, according to DNR, we have no wolves in Indiana,, but nothing would surprise me..
    Yep, not impossible that they were wolves, but I'm betting yotes.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I know we have coyotes in the state. When we went camping for ARRL field day the last two years in greene county we could hear them when we went to sleep.

One of the guys I was there with had his Sheepdog Brandy with him. She spent the whole night each night walking rings around the tents with a low growl..... None of the coyotes ever got closer than a few hundred yards as far as I could tell from the sounds.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've heard lots of coyotes when camping, especially in the Hoosier National Forest. I'd love to actually see a wolf someday.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Could have been Coyotes>>>>

I know we have coyotes in the state. quote]

I went on the net and looked up pictures of coyotes and wolves and these dogs did not have as bushy a tail as I see on the coyotes. They were very large and my wife made the comment that they looked exactly the same, almost like they were cloned from one animal. All I know for sure is they were wild and good sized animals. They were very pretty animals.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    What you saw was most probably coyote's. I have been seeing them in the area for many years. Even have seen a pair in the field behind the Jay Evertt Light Carreer Center near 86th and Keystone. Many cats have turned up missing in the 146th and Cherry Tree Road area and I hear they are a favorite of coyotes. Also have seen several coyote road kills in that area.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I would bet yotes,but they could have been wolves. A friend of mine has 2 registered wolves(one is 92%timber,one 87%Cherokee.They currently live in a large pen enclosure in...well lets not say where :) He has had some legal trouble from having them.Lets just say they are illegal to have in most cities. Cherokee is like a big lap dog,timber on the other hand looks like she is always stalking you,sizing you up to eat you(and does not like human contact other than dad). There are others that have them in Indiana legally as well.

Found some for sale in Indiana as well.
    registered ckc wolf hybrid & pups for sale also ckc dachshunds.
    Since it is a registered wolf/hybrid the owner will have the lineage and actual %

and another page dedicated to selling hybrids
    BEAUTIFUL AND INTELLIGENT WOLF HYBRID PUPPIES FOR SALE

ps if you have other pets,a small area please do not attempt to own one of these,they are still very wild...be sure you know 100% what you would be getting into.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nBaDgAzqwc

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Still think they were wolves

I would bet yotes,but they could have been wolves.

My wife and I have been looking at photos of coyotes and wolves and both feel what we saw were wolves. I was driving so she had more time to watch them and says they were lighter in color, very large like a big German Sheppard, and all three looked like identical triplets. Looks like a coyotes face is more pointed and the tail is bushier. We might be wrong but...

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    All of the Global Warming that those northerners are experiencing could be pushing them south.
    We have a large male coyote that frequents are property every morning; he is larger than the neighbors german shepherd.

Coyotes tend to run in the rust colors during this season with a generally red nape and top of head. What color were the forms that you witnessed?

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have been hunting coytoes for many years now. Some animals people call coyotes are not truly coyotes. The coyote has become so domesticated and tame to an extent that having them in subdivisions is not at all odd. The more and more they are around people and other animals the more common they will be to see. Coyotes are breeding with domesticated dogs and then you get what is called coydogs. However many types of dogs there are it possibly could create a large wolf looking animals.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been hunting coytoes for many years now. Some animals people call coyotes are not truly coyotes. The coyote has become so domesticated and tame to an extent that having them in subdivisions is not at all odd. The more and more they are around people and other animals the more common they will be to see. Coyotes are breeding with domesticated dogs and then you get what is called coydogs. However many types of dogs there are it possibly could create a large wolf looking animals.
    Just reading up on that:
    Coydog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We live in Noblesville. There are coyotes (I'm assuming that's what they are cause the nose is so pointy) in our back yard quite a bit. I have a picture of one of them somewhere. We live in a subdivision but our house butts up against a swampy area and on the other side of that is a river. This is taken from the second floor of the house and he's about 200ft away so it was a long zoom. Picture is a little grainy.

346uq6f.jpg

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Coloring

These three animals were all light tanish in color and their noses were not pointed and their tails were not bushy. What was remarkable was all three looked exactly the same like they were cloned. I am not an expert on these types of animals but from looking at photos they did not look like any coyote I saw.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I know we have coyotes in the state. When we went camping for ARRL field day the last two years in greene county we could hear them when we went to sleep.

Where do you camp at for this? I grew up in Greene county outside of Worthington. You do get used to the coyotes. I remember one night when I was younger the yotes ran right by our house, howling the whole time. That will wake you up! I am surprised I only seen 1 during deer season this past year but I couldn't get the shot off, no gun, forgot it, bow only. Opening morning for gun season me and my friends get two pots going; 1 for biggest buck (rack size) and 1 for yotes (goes by pounds). One guy shot 2 but no one else saw one.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Where do you camp at for this? I grew up in Greene county outside of Worthington. You do get used to the coyotes. I remember one night when I was younger the yotes ran right by our house, howling the whole time. That will wake you up! I am surprised I only seen 1 during deer season this past year but I couldn't get the shot off, no gun, forgot it, bow only. Opening morning for gun season me and my friends get two pots going; 1 for biggest buck (rack size) and 1 for yotes (goes by pounds). One guy shot 2 but no one else saw one.

I don't actually know the exact coords...... I know it's about a 10min or less drive to the Via-Duct.

Almost all on gravel roads.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom