• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jb1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I will have to check that out as well, my wife has alot of friends down near that part of the state. Looks like a great side trip.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A cave near Corydon, Indiana is about to open to the public. Forty (40) miles of trails, rock formations and waterfalls.

Indiana home to 11th largest cave, will open to public in May | Fox 59 News – fox59.com

Now this is weird...The guy who owns the land where they "discovered" the entrance is a long time friend of the family and stopped by the shop yesterday...They used to use (with his permission) his entrance to go into the cavern. They bought some land across the road from him (15 acres) and dug a new entrance and that is what the "new cave" is...He is an older gentleman and he told them to not remove anything and he says he saw them taking out a "big skeleton with horns" not too long ago...The cavers were from all over and spent 4 years going through his property to map and explore the cave and now are going to profit after opening another entrance...This is almost like "the cave wars" that took place around Mammoth Cave back in the 1920's...That is how Floyd Collins got trapped was trying to find another entrance to the Mammoth Cave system that was closer to Hwy 31.....I checked the link and this gentleman's name is listed nowhere...He said once they got their entrance built on the land they bought they no longer needed his land for access...He invited me to come out..It's about a 30 foot drop to the floor of the cave on his property and there is currently a rope and a ladder...They did name a few of the passages after him and his wife he said...Thanks for posting Kirk...I may take him up on his offer to "backdoor" into the cave...It sounds like fun....

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I just got back from a family vacation to Mammoth Cave. Took the kids (6 & 3) to see it for the first time and they really enjoyed it. I will be interested in this as well since it will be a little closer. We did visit Diamond Caverns, site to some of the actual cave wars that indiucky mentioned. Hope this family friend gets some sort of cut. Interesting about the 'skeleton with horns'.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Now this is weird...The guy who owns the land where they "discovered" the entrance is a long time friend of the family and stopped by the shop yesterday...They used to use (with his permission) his entrance to go into the cavern. They bought some land across the road from him (15 acres) and dug a new entrance and that is what the "new cave" is...He is an older gentleman and he told them to not remove anything and he says he saw them taking out a "big skeleton with horns" not too long ago...The cavers were from all over and spent 4 years going through his property to map and explore the cave and now are going to profit after opening another entrance...This is almost like "the cave wars" that took place around Mammoth Cave back in the 1920's...That is how Floyd Collins got trapped was trying to find another entrance to the Mammoth Cave system that was closer to Hwy 31.....I checked the link and this gentleman's name is listed nowhere...He said once they got their entrance built on the land they bought they no longer needed his land for access...He invited me to come out..It's about a 30 foot drop to the floor of the cave on his property and there is currently a rope and a ladder...They did name a few of the passages after him and his wife he said...Thanks for posting Kirk...I may take him up on his offer to "backdoor" into the cave...It sounds like fun....

If they're doing anything under HIS property - HE has the authority to put the kibosh on it.

In IN, what you own on top of the ground extends downward to the center of the earth.

When I was in Scouts, we took a few trips to Bluesprings Caverns near Bedford. On the boat tours on the Lost River, you used to get to a point underground where there was a marker installed on the cave wall. This was evidently the property line and the company running the cave / tours had secured permission to extend the tours on this other person's property.

It would certainly be worth looking into should this one guy be hosed out of due compensation for the commercial venture that may be taking place underfoot...

Top Bottom