• ...and so much more!
  • greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Top 5 States For Killing A Boone & Crocket Buck – You Might Be Surprised

wiredtohunt.com/2013/06/03/top-5-states-for-killing-a-boone-crocket-buck-you-might-be-surprised/

"Below are the states with the top B&C entries as a % of total buck harvest rankings, and then the next list below that highlights the traditional view of the record books, with the top states by total number of B&C entries."

States With Top B&C Entries As a % of Total Buck Harvest (2009-2011)

1. Indiana – .084%

2. Kentucky – .082%

3. Kansas – .078%

4. Iowa – .078%

5. Illinois – .065%

States With Top Total Number of B&C Entries (2009-2011)

1. Wisconsin – 241

2. Ohio – 151

3. Illinois – 136

4. Kentucky – 134

5. Indiana – 131

(For those curious – Iowa came in at 112 and Kansas had 98)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I visited with some friends in central Wisconsin a couple of years ago. We stopped into a bar & grill in a small town which was also a deer checking station and kind of the hub where the hunters gathered. They had several photo albums on the bar with hundreds of pictures of huge bucks, I mean huge. I lived in Texas and saw some giants down there but I've never seen the numbers of big deer like they have up there. I've been trying to secure an invite to hunt the bow season ever since. :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have serious doubts about that list.Largest deer ever shot was not even scored.Happens to be around 50 miles from where I currently live.
    In 1926, Carl J. Lenander, Jr. took a Whitetailed buck near Tofte, MN that was estimated at 511 pounds live weight. The buck field-dressed at 402 pounds and the Minnesota Conservation Department officially calculated the live weight at 511 pounds. According to Lee Rue’s book, Minnesota recognizes it as the largest whitetail ever killed in the state and likely one of the largest ever taken in North America.

I do not think many bother to get scored up here.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Min...ZB8KvrQHHroGADg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=574

Here is a different Boone and Crockett list.
    http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/records_whitetail.asp?area=bgrecords
    Mapping all 5,439 entries gave me a print similar to the 1980-2001 map, since the vast majority of trophies come from that period. Forty-two states and 1,443 counties produced entries, with most coming from the top 10 states: IA (615), MN (608), WI (589), IL (552), TX (316), MO (285), KY (279), KS (255), OH (235), and MI (155). These 10 states accounted for 3,880 entries, or 72 percent of the record book. The all-time best counties are Buffalo, WI, and St. Louis, MN with both recording 62 entries. The top 50 counties are distributed in the following states: IA (13), MN (12), WI (10), IL (8), TX (5), ME (1), and MT (1).

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A 500 lb. deer? Are there photos?

What did it eat for breakfast? Anything it wanted.:D

No surprise that the B&C whitetails are all in the Midwest. It is an open buffett of soybeans, corn, apples, wheat and oats, potatoes, mint, etc.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It also costs $40 to enter your buck into B&C.
    Then there's the book ($25-200), and or a plaque ($100-200) most folks would probably buy.

I have a 160+ on my wall. He's in HRBP because it was free. He's not in B&C :)

Thought about it, more than once...........but as time goes by it means less and less.

I just want a 125" by recurve. That to me would mean a whole lot more, P&Y entered or not.

Last edited:

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    It also costs $40 to enter your buck into B&C.
    Then there's the book ($25-200), and or a plaque ($100-200) most folks would probably buy.

I have a 160+ on my wall. He's in HRBP because it was free. He's not in B&C :)

Thought about it, more than once...........but as time goes by it means less and less.

I just want a 125" by recurve. That to me would mean a whole lot more, P&Y entered or not.
    When was the HRBP entry "FREE".... :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have searched the net and found none.I will ask at one of the local hangouts(bar in the middle of no where with the walls covered in hunting pictures).

I was never much of a hunter but I can remember deer being so rare, when I was growing up in Tennessee, that it was a "big deal" to see one out and about. Times have changed. I know my brother (who is a long time deer hunter) has always been impressed by the size of deer up here, in IN.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I was never much of a hunter but I can remember deer being so rare, when I was growing up in Tennessee, that it was a "big deal" to see one out and about. Times have changed. I know my brother (who is a long time deer hunter) has always been impressed by the size of deer up here, in IN.

On any given day up here when we drive into town we see 30+ deer,on a good day it is 40+(12 mile drive).Up here there are herds that are huge.We have a herd of around 20 that passes through our property on occasion,and have seen much larger herds feasting on hay fields.The state estimates the current deer population at over 1 million.It is really a different world up here,where humans are by far the minority(there are more black bears than people in our county).

Here is an article on the Monarch.Thought to be the largest shed ever.
    The Legendary Minnesota Monarch Buck - North American Whitetail

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    On any given day up here when we drive into town we see 30+ deer,on a good day it is 40+(12 mile drive).Up here there are herds that are huge.We have a herd of around 20 that passes through our property on occasion,and have seen much larger herds feasting on hay fields.The state estimates the current deer population at over 1 million.It is really a different world up here,where humans are by far the minority(there are more black bears than people in our county).

Here is an article on the Monarch.Thought to be the largest shed ever.
    The Legendary Minnesota Monarch Buck - North American Whitetail

That is impressive. No bears here, that I know of. But I've seen a few herds 15-20 on our property every now and then in the fall/winter months. I think the biggest conglomeration of deer I ever saw was at Cades Cove in the Smokey Mountain Park. It was late winter--Feb/March, back when I was in college, when I saw them. When I came up on the Cove, I thought it was a huge herd of cattle grazing out there. After a few seconds, it dawned on me they were deer. I don't know how many there were, but it was a bunch.

I forget the name of that disease, but it's really taken a toll on the deer population down around where my brother lives in TN.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I've been trying to secure an invite to hunt the bow season ever since. :)
    I was at our new home 5-10 minutes, went inside to take a **** and a huge doe went by the front of the house. We are talking 15 yards from the front porch and bathroom window. It may not be exciting, but you can bow hunt from the guest crapper here.

Today we parked the truck next to the largest turkey I have ever seen. Saw him again about 8 hours later on our way to the Polish Palace for dinner. The mounts they have in that place alone are impressive but every place up here has similar sizes and even more mounts.

Top Bottom