• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCJR8401

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    I am looking to get my wife a small handgun that she will feel comfortable carring. A friend of mine has a Berretta .25 that I have shot a few times. I am thinking about getting her that or the KEL-TEC PF9. Any suggestions?

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Look at a S+W MODEL 642 HAMMERLESS. It only weighs 14 ounces empty and wont snag on anything when she pulls it from her pocket or bag. My wife has one and loves it. It is easy to shoot and very compact. She carrys 38+p cartridges in it.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    my input would be to stay away from .25 all together. they arent much better than a .22 and cost more to shoot than 9mm

I would have her try as many types as you can get ahold of to see what works and feels best. no need for her to have something she wont touch because it doesnt feel right.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious but is your wife a shooter?

Small handguns are hard to shoot well. Very hard in fact. Small light handguns are often hard to control for inexperienced shooters, even in the 380 caliber. While costs go up dramatically for ammo, something like a 32 auto may be more to the liking of someone who is not a shooter, especially in a lightweight mousegun.

Now if she is willing/able/enjoys shooting then ignore all the above and get her the smallest gun in the biggest caliber she is willing to carry.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Just curious but is your wife a shooter?

Small handguns are hard to shoot well. Very hard in fact. Small light handguns are often hard to control for inexperienced shooters, even in the 380 caliber. While costs go up dramatically for ammo, something like a 32 auto may be more to the liking of someone who is not a shooter, especially in a lightweight mousegun.

Now if she is willing/able/enjoys shooting then ignore all the above and get her the smallest gun in the biggest caliber she is willing to carry.

Well said I love seeing the look on someones face after they shoot an ar or ak ...or a bigger handgun and i hand then a lil NAA revolver to shoot and it almost jumps out of their hand and scares the SH@T out of them ...:laugh:

At all cost avoid the .25
    the .22 is more deadly than th .25 Trust me .
    One really good Idea is The new .327 mag
    The ruger SP101 in .327 she can shoot any .32 cartridge in it ..
    The .327 mag cartridge is camparible to the .357. with less 1/3 les recoil .
    and as i said she can shoot any .32 cartridge (except ACP )
    until she gets used to the .327 mag :twocents:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I dont think the 327 is going to stick. i feel like its the next 10mm

38 and 9mm are going to be cheapest to shoot. something that you can afford to shoot and actually practice with will be much better than one that never gets shot

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    On the left is a S&W 442-2, on the right is a Keltec PF9.
    BUGs_0021.jpg

These are the smallest guns I will carry and in fact the hardest guns to shoot with and practice with.

LoveMyRuger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Southside Indy
    Look at a S+W MODEL 642 HAMMERLESS. It only weighs 14 ounces empty and wont snag on anything when she pulls it from her pocket or bag. My wife has one and loves it. It is easy to shoot and very compact. She carrys 38+p cartridges in it.

I would like to suggest the S&W 638 Bodyguard due to the fact it has a hammer but can also be used DAO. I took my new SP101 hammerless to training at Jim Heath's. I thought with all those hours of research I had picked the most perfect gun for me.......but double action only just doesn't work for me. Jim suggested in the last "test" that I use a teammate's S&W and shoot single action....I fell in love!!! I bought my Bodyguard soon after and I shoot SO MUCH better than DAO. Then I had Ruger add a hammer to my SP101. I just love shooting single action. These are the first shots I fired (the shoulder is what I was aiming at).

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I suppose that I will jump in here before Pami does, and suggest that you let your wife pick the firearm that she wants. It may take a few trips to the range, but it will be well worth it.

I have NEVER chosen my wife's guns for her, just as she has NEVER chosen mine.

My wife started shooting with a Pink Walther P22 that SHE picked out. It is not one that I would have chosen for her, but it is what made her feel good about firearms in general. It did not take long before she was asking me to go to the range with her. She has since moved up to a Bersa Thunder .380cc (conceal carry) and she is in love with the weapon. Again, it is not a gun that I would have chosen, but she adores the way it shoots. She also feels extremely confident carrying this gun daily, and has said that she no longer feels like a weak female victim wherever she goes.

I call this picture Chanel and Bullets:
    channelandbullets.jpg

P.S. I'm pretty sure that she picked this gun because it makes her feel like a Bond girl.;)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For a first gun I would recommend somthing with a more weight than a 642 or a PF-9. Both are good guns, but they kick pretty good, especially with +P.

If this is to be a carry gun then something on the small side but still with some heft like an all steel Smith .38 SPL, Ruger SP101 with a bobbed hammer in .357 Mag (and shoot .38 +P in it) or .327 Mag (although I heven't seen a bobbed hammer in .327 Mag) would be a great place to start. Or a Glock 19. Or a Kahr MK9. Or...

...really though she need to try one on for herself.

(and +1 to the Bersa, they are excellent guns at an excellent price. I love mine.)

Also please have her consider a pistol class.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    my input would be to stay away from .25 all together. they arent much better than a .22 and cost more to shoot than 9mm

I would have her try as many types as you can get ahold of to see what works and feels best. no need for her to have something she wont touch because it doesnt feel right.
    This.

I suppose that I will jump in here before Pami does, and suggest that you let your wife pick the firearm that she wants. It may take a few trips to the range, but it will be well worth it.

I have NEVER chosen my wife's guns for her, just as she has NEVER chosen mine.

<snip>
    And This.

And read this: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html

That is all. :)

*tries not to go off on a rant*

JCJR8401

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think I will take my wife out to the range and let her shoot severl different handguns. Between myself and a couple of friends I think we can cover pretty much everything. I have a PF9 and love it. I think she probably does need to find what feels right for her. Thanks again everyone.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I have a G23 so to keep the same ammo you think a G27 or go ahead with a Keltec PF9? just trying to gather as much info on smaller hand guns for women before a purchase.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I would not have my wife or daughter carry anything smaller than a 9mm. I am also against guns that you cannot hold onto because of size. In the momment of truth you want a dependable gun that you can hit the target with. Ease of carry and concealment will not matter when life hangs in the balance. If carrying it easily is more important that getting hits I would seriously reconsider the priorities.

Top Bottom