• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I don't know that this is the right forum to post this in but since I'm trying to hear other Ladies' points of view it seemed like the best option.

I've been acquiring and sampling pistols for personal protection for several years now and have learned that it is an imperfect science. I will likely be forever tweaking my EDC and caliber and training methodology and comfort and style of carry... And that is perfectly ok with me, life changes and it's best to always be a student and in a "learning" frame of mind.

Recently I began being interested in knives. It started with researching a good option for my B.O.B and became keenly aware of the HUGE differences from one blade to another. Early on I picked up a basic Ka-Bar from Bradis II for my B.O.B. but wanted a folder to carry so I started looking...everywhere...a lot... I finally settled on a CRKT Mini My Tighe that I found at BGF because it was nearly the only folder I found that would fit clipped on a pocket of my girly jeans. Now I seem to always be searching for good blades. I picked up an ESEE Izula for purse carry from KnifeLady. I'm now back on the quest to upgrade what I've got in my B.O.B. but there's a lot more research I need to do on that before I narrow it down.

My question to the other Ladies on this forum is this: Did you find yourself interested in other methods of self defense in addition to Firearms? What were they and why?

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, I have started thinking about knives when I never have before. Next gun show I go to, I might look at them.

I've been acquiring and sampling pistols for personal protection for several years now and have learned that it is an imperfect science. I will likely be forever tweaking my EDC and caliber and training methodology and comfort and style of carry... And that is perfectly ok with me, life changes and it's best to always be a student and in a "learning" frame of mind.

I kind of feel the opposite about this. I want to get familiar and comfortable with my weapons/ammo as soon as possible so I can settle in to getting better at using them. I feel like the constant tweaking would always leave me a bit off-balance. I did my homework, decided on a carry gun and ammo, and learned to shoot them.

But I'm with you on the girly jeans. :rolleyes: The pockets are virtually useless.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    It's not just a normal progression for women, guys do that too. I'm a guy, and not trying to horn in on your thread, but feel as though all people interested in defending themselves (woman or man), should depend on more than just a gun. I also carry a nice CRKT M-16 knife or at times my SOG Seal Team Pup. I also carry pepper spray as well. I feel as though a woman should carry multiple ways of defense, even more so than a man. JMHO.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I've carried a knife of some sort for years. I carry a box knife (officially for work but it's with me on my days off anyways) and a folding Gerber I've had for years. In my truck I have a Marine style Ka-Bar. Oh and I have a mini leatherman type tool on my belt. I also have 3-in-1 Sabre spray on my keys. I don't think it's a bad thing to be aware of or to minimize potential danger. Read Gavin DeBecker's book "The Gift of Fear" (and "Protecting the Gift" for child safety). Your mind is your greatest weapon. "Girly" jeans don't fit my figure and don't hold all my stuff so I stopped buying them

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Oops....I almost posted my opinion here. Saw it is the lady's forum.

Carry on.....:)

Wise move my friend. :lmfao:

It's not just a normal progression for women, guys do that too. I'm a guy, and not trying to horn in on your thread, but feel as though all people interested in defending themselves (woman or man), should depend on more than just a gun. I also carry a nice CRKT M-16 knife or at times my SOG Seal Team Pup. I also carry pepper spray as well. I feel as though a woman should carry multiple ways of defense, even more so than a man. JMHO.

The M-16 is my EDC. Not a big fan of the "two hands to close" feature but I really like the blade over-all.

To the OP: I think your next step is to figure out a way to train with the blades. Be it force on force or otherwise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wise move my friend. :lmfao:

To the OP: I think your next step is to figure out a way to train with the blades. Be it force on force or otherwise.

That was going to be my comment.....got scared that I had stepped into the ladies room by mistake.

Seriously....just as with a gun, train in the proper use of a blade for self defense.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    Yep, ive looked for other self defense methods in addition to my firearm. I carry a kershaw leek, and am interested in taking classes in self defense. I know some basics, how to go for the eyes or throat, and how to get out of several holds but the more knowledge and training i have in that area the better off i am. I carry a gun if i need it, im not that strong but id like to think that not all threatening situations require a gun to get out of. Not to mention if i solely relied on my gun, what if it gets taken away, i cant get to it? I want to have other options. Id like to be able to use my gun for any threatning situations, but i dont get to plan that out so its good to be prepared

KoD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Richmond
    I will be a lifelong learner of all things. That's awesome! Ditto on girlie jeans. Nothing fits right. Kinda loose IWB carrying too.

Top Bottom