• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    My wife has her LTCH more for insurance than anything...incase one of my guns is in a car with her, etc. But.....she said that she would be up for starting to carry. She wants something small. I have heard the S&W Bodyguard would be a good fit...small, has pre-installed laser, etc.

She also is thinking about a purse type of carry instead of on her body.

Thoughts on gun and purse carry?

I had this on the Carry Defense Forum and it was suggested to ask here.

I don't want to give my opinion on things yet...like to hear what the ladies say.

Thanks!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I noticed that Applied Ballistics in Lafayette has quite a few womens purses that look just like normal womens purses. Some of them have a big enough compartment to carry some serious shooting iron.

The only down side I can think about a purse is that if she left it lay somewhere or a thug would rush her to snatch the purse, she would lose the firearm also.

Last edited:

MuddyINGOGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Demotte, IN
    My :twocents: on the subject...

I would never purse carry. Purses get stolen. Purses get dropped. It requires different training to actually be able to draw from a purse. They're overpriced.

Have her shoot it first. Don't just have her handle it at the store and then go try it. The pocket pistols can be great but I've had a very difficult time finding one I like. I gave up on them after selling 3 I didn't care for. They've all been too small to comfortably shoot. The Ruger LCP I thought I would like was waay too small. Diamondback .380 was the only one I almost kept but something better came along and it was sold. I also had a Kel-Tec P3AT that was okay but too small like the Ruger LCP.

I haven't shot one yet but maybe have her check out the new Glock 42??

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My :twocents: on the subject...

I would never purse carry. Purses get stolen. Purses get dropped. It requires different training to actually be able to draw from a purse. They're overpriced.

Have her shoot it first. Don't just have her handle it at the store and then go try it. The pocket pistols can be great but I've had a very difficult time finding one I like. I gave up on them after selling 3 I didn't care for. They've all been too small to comfortably shoot. The Ruger LCP I thought I would like was waay too small. Diamondback .380 was the only one I almost kept but something better came along and it was sold. I also had a Kel-Tec P3AT that was okay but too small like the Ruger LCP.

I haven't shot one yet but maybe have her check out the new Glock 42??

I'll second the glock, but make sure she shoots it first. My wife needs to visit the range again to test fire mine. She apparently was limp wristing it, which causes many glocks (apparently the 42 especially) to become a jam-o-matic. Ive sent 300 rounds down range with nary a single malfunction. She was having multiple mals per magazine!

If you cant find anyone that rents them, there are quite a few around INGO that Im sure she would be welcome to try. I'll offer mine if you dont mind coming down to Parabellum (Avon) or Beech Grove.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would definitely encourage her too shoot any gun she is considering. All the cuteness of the Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard 380 vanishes when you feel the recoil of a small gun. If you meant the .38 Special S&W Bodyguard, they sting a little too, as does the S&W AirWeight .38 SPL.

A small step up to a compact carry makes a big difference. Like stepping to a steel frame S&W .38 Special, or to a Ruger SP101 2.25" - may favorite snub nose (most are .357 Magnum but you can shoot .38 Special too). Also the Ruger LC380 and even the LC9 isn't too bad in the recoil department. The new LC9S has a great trigger too.

I will echo the others here- purse carry... I'm not a fan... but carry purses are very popular since many ladies don't want to dress around the gun.

If she does, get a purse specifically designed for carry so that the gun doesn't tumble around with all the other junk, and if she walks with her hand on the gun in her purse, and the purse gets snatched she still has the gun... but even that isn't fool proof... most times, the victim isn't ready for the grab and the grip on the gun might not be enough to stay in possession of the gun.

Whatever method of carry she chooses is her choice but it is always beneficial to practice, practice, practice. It's very worthwhile to have a "blue gun" for learning, practicing, and drilling different techniques.

She will also have to NEVER set down her purse in an unsecured place, not in the grocery cart, not on the sink in the ladies room, not on the corner of her desk in her cubicle, not on the entry table at home or even the bedside table (you didn't mention whether you have kids or not).

With a lot more women carrying these days, there are many new ways for the ladies to conceal on body without a lot of extra thought to the wardrobe.

Good luck!

prduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    thanks for the feedback so far...I am soooo not a fan of the purse carry. Gets stolen, leaves in grocery cart, I'd think it would be hard to draw in a "need quick" situation, etc.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I don't like purse carry, but it is better than not carrying. I've only purse carried a few times, like when I have to dress up. I also will ankle carry, which again, is not ideal, but better than not carrying. I have one of the gun purses, I felt like I could make it work for me, as long as I had good situational awareness. I wouldn't bother to draw from the purse if I didn't have time, just shoot thru it. I just don't really like carrying a purse all the time, and when I do, I want it small-mid size and not heavy. Once she starts carrying, she'll probably change her mind about carry methods, choice of guns, etc. I know I did, and still do sometimes!

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    wife and daughter both carry ruger lcr's. big enough to get hold of,light enough to carry. no slide to rack no safety to remember. mainly purse carry but they know to maintain control of it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    +1 on the Cornered Cat. Really impacted my wife's perspective on carrying.

As far as something to carry...a lot recommend a small .380 or a LW .38Spl because they are small and light. Remember that small and light also can make the guns harder to shoot. My wife HATED the .38spl revolver I bought for her, and couldn't reliably hit a paper plate at 7yds. While a training class she shot a 1911 in 9mm, and suddenly started shooting good fist sized groups on that paper plate in the first magazine through it. The .38 had too long of a trigger, and the sights were both too small and the radius too short for her to get a good point of aim on the target.

The point of the story is don't assume a small gun is a good gun for a lady just because it is lighter and has less recoil, or is less complicated. Ladies can operate larger semi-auto's just fine, and often have the strength to fire "manly" rounds > 9mm with some practice. Most importantly, get her something that she shoots well. Having confidence in a carry gun is an absolute requirement.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    +1 on the Cornered Cat. Really impacted my wife's perspective on carrying.

As far as something to carry...a lot recommend a small .380 or a LW .38Spl because they are small and light. Remember that small and light also can make the guns harder to shoot. My wife HATED the .38spl revolver I bought for her, and couldn't reliably hit a paper plate at 7yds. While a training class she shot a 1911 in 9mm, and suddenly started shooting good fist sized groups on that paper plate in the first magazine through it. The .38 had too long of a trigger, and the sights were both too small and the radius too short for her to get a good point of aim on the target.

The point of the story is don't assume a small gun is a good gun for a lady just because it is lighter and has less recoil, or is less complicated. Ladies can operate larger semi-auto's just fine, and often have the strength to fire "manly" rounds > 9mm with some practice. Most importantly, get her something that she shoots well. Having confidence in a carry gun is an absolute requirement.

Hmm...... My wife finely decided on a 9mm 1911 as well. Wonder what class they took? Interestingly enough the commander sized 45s keep showing up at ladies day activities.

I recommend the same thing to ladies as I do men, or newshooters, or lefties, or people wanting to try steel/USPSA. Interestingly enough they are the same guns I see knowledgeable instructors carrying. A medium sized, striker fired, polymer framed service pistol with about a 4" barrel. Glock 19, Smith M&P, Springfield XDm, Walther PPQ, Ruger SR9. The MP Shield and Springfield XDs if you want a single stack subcompact.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I purse carry often because it is easier to conceal, especially in warmer weather. I often go into some places where I prefer to not have people know I carry and this is a good option for me. If she intends to get a cc purse, be sure to get a good quality one. I got a Coronado and have been very happy with the quality. I have practiced removing my gun and agree shooting through it would definitely be an option if needed. The purse can be replaced. It has the reinforced strap and can be cross body carried so less likely to be snatched. I am very cognizant of where I put it and do not leave it unattended in a shopping cart, etc. I like that the zipper can be locked if I am visiting someone who has small children or at a family gathering.

The purse I bought holds a full size 45. It is heavy with the loaded gun in it, but in a pinch, I guess I could slug someone with my purse and knock them out! LOL! Just kidding, but it is a thought. I like a bigger gun because it has better knock down power. I practice shooting it and enjoy shooting so am definitely not afraid of what recoil is experienced. Make sure she is comfortable with whatever gun she is going to carry BEFORE she carries it for her own protection. Make sure it shoots reliably without jamming and she can operate it safely and get the safety off, etc.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hmm...... My wife finely decided on a 9mm 1911 as well. Wonder what class they took? Interestingly enough the commander sized 45s keep showing up at ladies day activities.

I recommend the same thing to ladies as I do men, or newshooters, or lefties, or people wanting to try steel/USPSA. Interestingly enough they are the same guns I see knowledgeable instructors carrying. A medium sized, striker fired, polymer framed service pistol with about a 4" barrel. Glock 19, Smith M&P, Springfield XDm, Walther PPQ, Ruger SR9. The MP Shield and Springfield XDs if you want a single stack subcompact.

We still need to get together for a 1911 shoot by the way. Of course my plane jane Springfield is out classed by the nicer 1911's my wife, and you and your wife have! Hmm...maybe I need to get a better 1911 so I can be a cool kid too! :) J/K...my 1911A1 Mil-spec runs great as is, plus you know that deep down I'm a glock guy. :)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Have her try before you buy. I don't want to see your newly purchased firearm up on facebook/here asking for MSRP with only 2 rounds fired through it because it didn't feel good.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    :+1: on the LCR. I prefer the .357 loaded with SD .38+P.

I have to vehemently disagree with this. That is the most unpleasant to fire gun either my wife or myself have ever used. This leads to minimal practice time because it is not enjoyable to shoot.

We both understand that enjoyable is not a requisite for a concealable, defensive gun. But when it is downright unpleasant to use you will never practice with it.

Instead I recommend something like a Shield, Glock 42, etc.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have to vehemently disagree with this. That is the most unpleasant to fire gun either my wife or myself have ever used. This leads to minimal practice time because it is not enjoyable to shoot.

We both understand that enjoyable is not a requisite for a concealable, defensive gun. But when it is downright unpleasant to use you will never practice with it.

I agree with this, and firmly believe that confidence in the weapon is absolutely key to being able to use it effectively under stress. Confidence comes from practice, and not many folks like to practice with a gun that hurts to shoot or is otherwise unpleasant.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

Then we will have to agree to disagree. I have fired the Taurus 85, a few Smith airweights, and the LCR, and the LCR was hands-down the most comfortable small revolver to shoot. The trigger is lighter and the recoil is less. It is not at all painful or uncomfortable to shoot in my opinion, but YMMV.

For a small, reliable, easy-to-shoot CC gun, I would still recommend the LCR.

Top Bottom