• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enaid8991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Vincennes
    Looking for opinions from the ladies. I've looked at cc purses and love some I've seen. Any ladies here use these and how do you like them versus carrying in a standard purse?

Also, have any of you personally tried the Flash bang holster? I'm really interested in this but have comfort concerns as a fuller figured woman. Side, back, shoulder and ankle holsters really aren't an option. I'd appreciate any feedback! :)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My wife carries her G42 Glock 380 in a Belly band elastic holster. She wears dress pants for work so a belt supported holster is not an option for her. She doesn't like the fact of keeping the gun in her purse and having to keep a constant eye on it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm a somewhat curvy gal myself, not obese, but I've definitely got some love handles that make some forms of carry uncomfortable! I have tried the CC purses. They aren't a bad option, if you are one that doesn't lose track of your purse, leave it in shopping carts, etc. I liked the idea of being able to just stick my hand in the purse and get to my gun if I was walking out into a dark parking lot and was threatened. I always carry my purse on my strong arm. You wouldn't even have to draw it, just shoot through the purse if it comes down to life or death. I don't feel like it is an ideal form of carry, but so far, for me, nothing is! The problem is, I am very picky about purses, so mine is in the closet. Did you know Rural King has some CC purses now?
    I tried the FlashBang, I could not get comfortable with it. Maybe if I carried a very lightweight plastic gun, but it didn't work out for me. It always felt like it was slipping, and if I was walking fast or jogging it bounced around too much. I can't remember which gun I tried with, it was a Sig P238 or P938.
    I've thought about trying a belly band, but I wonder if I would have to wear something underneath it? I don't really like wearing layers, except in the winter.
    I know you said it wasn't an option, but so far, ankle carry is what I do most, and I keep a Kershaw Leek clipped to my right front pocket.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    As opposed to a regular purse, yes, CC purses can work well. A few years ago I only found purses with a pocket, identified as a place to put the pistol, which was slightly more than useless. Now I have a couple of Gun-Totin'-Mama purses which have a zippered compartment and a leather holster that velcroes in so the gun sits pretty snugly in the purse and the trigger guard stays covered. I will only buy the purses which have a cut-resistant strap and are long enough to carry cross-body. Remember any time you set the purse down not only is it out of your reach, it is potentially accessible to a criminal or a child. For that reason, I wouldn't purse-carry at work unless you have a private office.

I have made a point of trying to buy more pants that have a real waistband and belt loops, because nothing is quite as secure and accessible as IWB/OWB carry.

Same with looking for wide leg pants: you may want to at least start to keep an eye open for ankle holsters for a backup, like a 380.

I've found that I have to keep trying things, which unfortunately can mean $$. My husband found one IWB holster for his Glock and one pocket holster for his 380, and he's done. I have a box of holsters and often even carry some in my duffle bag because I have to change holsters when I change clothes.

Well-Armed Woman does let you return a holster if you try it and don't like it.

Take a look at Thunderwear. You can conceal an LCP in Thunderwear as long as your pants aren't snug. Perhaps you could use something slightly bigger like an XDs or a Shield if you also wear loose shirts. I personally can't put anything larger than the 380 anywhere on my waistfront, though. The length between my waistband and my thigh is pretty short, so I get poked in the thigh with the end of the barrel when sitting down.

I have a belly band; it is kind of scratchy but I have heard of something called the Hiphugger (I think?) which might be more comfortable.

I've also tried some holsters like the magnetic and sticky holsters. Basically, the sticky is OK until it isn't. Bend just the wrong way and your waistband can loosen enough for the gun to shift down. I use one for my Pepper Blaster (which is much lighterweight) but not for a gun.

The magnetic holster clips over the waistband, so it can work on pants that aren't real lightweight (again only for the LCP in my experience). Even then, the magnetic doesn't hold the gun snugly enough to keep it from flying out if you were knocked down, in a car accident, etc. I generally only use it around the house so I have something to slip on quickly with my sweats, etc.

Oh... and you might need some camisoles. Many holsters and belly bands are uncomfortable on the skin so I wear a camisole often to protect my skin. Ann Taylor has the most comfortable ones but Sams Club has inexpensive ones.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    My daughter ask my opinion of the flash bang, I don't like the fact of having the possibility of a ND that close to your vital organs.

I know, train, train, train, but accidents happen.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I've thought about the belly band too, but haven't had an opportunity to try one out yet. I carry IWB or OWB and that seems to be the most comfortable to me. I've got four kids so purse carry is problematic and I don't care to babysit a handbag. I've got friends who use the flash bang holster and LOVE it, but they carry revolvers and that may be part of it. Whatever means you choose, the importance is to carry. If it makes a difference between carry and going unarmed then do what you need to do to be comfortable enough to carry. Best of luck on your journey, and welcome to the forum. :)

We used to have some lady members here who would have great advice for you right now, but they got banned for being opinionated. Maybe one of the men will have advice on holster choices for a female...

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)

enaid8991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Vincennes
    My daughter ask my opinion of the flash bang, I don't like the fact of having the possibility of a ND that close to your vital organs.

I know, train, train, train, but accidents happen.

I like the idea of since it's concealed and convenient but then I think about damage done to me if in an auto accident. I was in a head-on a few years ago and saw what a seat belt can do. Having a gun there would most certainly cause more damage.

enaid8991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Vincennes
    I've thought about the belly band too, but haven't had an opportunity to try one out yet. I carry IWB or OWB and that seems to be the most comfortable to me. I've got four kids so purse carry is problematic and I don't care to babysit a handbag. I've got friends who use the flash bang holster and LOVE it, but they carry revolvers and that may be part of it. Whatever means you choose, the importance is to carry. If it makes a difference between carry and going unarmed then do what you need to do to be comfortable enough to carry. Best of luck on your journey, and welcome to the forum. :)

We used to have some lady members here who would have great advice for you right now, but they got banned for being opinionated. Maybe one of the men will have advice on holster choices for a female...

Thank you! I'm looking forward to this journey for sure! I have carried every day since getting it almost a month ago :)

enaid8991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Vincennes

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I purse carry when it is not an option for me to wear a holster. I have a Corona CC purse with the reinforced strap that is long enough to cross body carry. The zippered pocket can be locked if you are at home and have small children in the home that may get into things. I lock it when we visit friends who may have children and like that option. I never leave my purse unattended...never. If I am shopping and have to step away from the cart at all, the purse goes with me.

I agree that it is nice to know that I can have that pocket unzipped and my hand on my pistol if walking to my car in an unfamiliar place or at night. I like the Corona purse I bought because it was one of the few that indicated it would allow for a full size 1911. My EDC is a .45 and that was important. I didn't want a purse that was going to be difficult to retrieve my pistol from.

mammynunswife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    I have the Flash Bang for my Kimber Solo. Honestly, I struggle with it. I'm a 36 A and even with a with a VS Bombshell bra (which is padded like crazy) I can't mange to get the stupid thing to stay put. I think it's a great concept and ladies that have larger busts may have better luck. I wear it when I absolutely have to, but I am constantly re-arranging due to slippage. I'm having pretty good luck with my belly band. I find that I can use it wearing just about anything. Skirts, jeans, yoga pants. I have my eye on a corset holster. Pretty much the same concept as the belly band, but geared more for a woman's shape.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I tried the Flashbang and didn't like it. I found it awkward to get the gun out, and impossible to get it back in. Also, I tend to wear longer tops, and it is too long a process to get up under my shirt.

I have considered a CC purse, but I just can't quite bring myself to risk someone taking my purse and having my gun.

When I do carry my LCR, I use a small suede clip-in IWB holster.

enaid8991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Vincennes
    I purse carry when it is not an option for me to wear a holster. I have a Corona CC purse with the reinforced strap that is long enough to cross body carry. The zippered pocket can be locked if you are at home and have small children in the home that may get into things. I lock it when we visit friends who may have children and like that option. I never leave my purse unattended...never. If I am shopping and have to step away from the cart at all, the purse goes with me.

I agree that it is nice to know that I can have that pocket unzipped and my hand on my pistol if walking to my car in an unfamiliar place or at night. I like the Corona purse I bought because it was one of the few that indicated it would allow for a full size 1911. My EDC is a .45 and that was important. I didn't want a purse that was going to be difficult to retrieve my pistol from.

I've looked at a few of these and feel this is the way I'll go. Like you, my purse is always with me. I need to find one that's big enough for all my stuff and the pictures make them look soooooo small!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've looked at a few of these and feel this is the way I'll go. Like you, my purse is always with me. I need to find one that's big enough for all my stuff and the pictures make them look soooooo small!

I've actually had the opposite problem when I have looked for CC purses. I'm a small-purse girl, and they are all huge. Another reason I have never gotten one.

Top Bottom