• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    So after 20 years of marriage, my wife decides now that she wants a handgun, she has had a LTCH , for all 20 years but she has never even shot a gun, just not her thing.
    She decided it would be in her best interest to have her own gun, and to start carrying.
    I have many full size guns and she says "too big"
    I gave her a Kahr PM-40 to try to pull the slide back and she can't do it.
    This is my number one concern with an auto for her, my thoughts are if she can't pull the slide back she doesn't need to be carrying it.
    So I am trying to find something she can safely handle , and something in a suitable caliber.
    I've always took the approach nothing smaller than a .380 or a .38 in a revolver

One guy at work has recommended a Ruger LCR and says it has a great trigger, I am just not so convinced on revolvers, due to the capacity issue.
    We have plenty of property to shoot at, so it's not an issue of a place to teach her how to handle a gun as I can set up a range in a few minutes.

Someone also suggested a Beretta tomcat , and stated she won't have to pull the slide back to load it, but again , in a FTF or FTE , she will be in a position where she will be forced to do so, and if she can't , then that is a problem, and I am not to impressed with the idea of her carrying a .32

Any ideas, suggestions, or tips that might help me go in the right direction ???

I don't own a J frame or any small revolver, but have access to a J frame to let her shoot one , but I think I need to start small, like .22 small and then go up after a month or so.

I've seen answers going to the Sig 238 and 938, I am not wanting her to go toward a 1911 style, I want her to get some experience carrying and handling a firearm first, plus she will be mainly carrying in her purse , I really doubt you will ever see my wife OC , and if you do it will just be on our property, simply because she gets upset if I go out and OC , she always tells me to find a way to conceal carry because she doesn't like the attention it draws.

UPDATE 5-17-15

I went into a gunshop yesterday and was looking at several pistols, trying to find one she could rack the slide on, and the guy at the counter told her to position the gun sideways, so the muzzle was pointed to her left , and to push the slide, I have always pointed the gun in front of me so I could visually check the chamber, and it just seems easier. here are the problems I noted by this guys methods
    1. with the gun sideways it is aimed at her forearm
    2. with the small compact guns she could not see the chamber
    3. he told her to ride the slide forward, I was taught to let it fly forward never to ride it forward.
    4. if it is pointed to the side, and you are at a local gun range, you are essentially pointing a firearm at another person.
    5. just seems "un-natural" and it is just too easy for the barrel to be pointed at yourself, and while my problem is not with her loading the gun, it is only clearing a malfunction, this is when she needs to be able to see the chamber and manipulate the mag release, seems to hard with the gun sideways and almost pointed right at herself.

Last edited:

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    I like the smith 642 for the little lady, low capacity sure but fool proof, no hammer to snag everything in her purse and she's in real trouble if ever in a situation requiring more than a shot or 3

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think a bigger gun would be the best for her, but if she is going to carry it I am sure it can't be too big... So anyway to my point, the Sig P238 and P938 are both very shootable small pistols and the slides are amazingly easy to rack. Any time a woman has trouble with racking a slide these are the first guns I think of, I've never had a girl not be able to rack mine.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Racking the slide on a semiautomatic pistol is all about technique, not strength. There are plenty of youtube vids on this very subject. Have her to check them out.

also, let HER try several and she will select the one that fits her the best.

Last edited:

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    I carry a sig p220 and have a p230 love pistols for me but when I was trying to pick one for my wife who I have no doubt she could operate the slide and has, but when I see how frazzled she gets by a low tire on the car I'm not 100% sure she could keep presence of mind to clear a jam or misfire in a tense situation. I know she could do it but would she think to do it if needed. To make it second nature in that situation it has to be encountered and the only way to truly encounter it is to shoot, shoot, shoot until she hits the range more often its a 5 shooter for her. just my thought process.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    See if there is a beginner handgun or ladies only class offered somewhere locally. My wife attended one a couple weeks ago and absolutely loved it. She got to shoot around 9 different handguns of various calibers. It really helped her decide what was right for her, and she will be making a purchase soon.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ideally, have her try several and see what fits her hand.

My generic answer, though, is the S&W Shield. You can find them for $350-ish fairly regularly, the factory trigger and sights are as good as you'll do at that price point, and they've done a nice job of tamping down the perceived recoil. It's also lightweight and thin, which is easier for on body carry. I think that's more of a concern for many ladies, with women's fashions being less forgiving of clunky objects than men's.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ideally, have her try several and see what fits her hand.

My generic answer, though, is the S&W Shield. You can find them for $350-ish fairly regularly, the factory trigger and sights are as good as you'll do at that price point, and they've done a nice job of tamping down the perceived recoil. It's also lightweight and thin, which is easier for on body carry. I think that's more of a concern for many ladies, with women's fashions being less forgiving of clunky objects than men's.

I second BBI on both points. My wife has many handguns, the Shield has been her EDC for a couple of years.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Just remember that generally speaking, the lighter the gun, the harder it is to control. People recommending airweight revolvers for women because "they're so simple even a woman could do it" drive me bananas. First off, women are entirely capable of using any gun you are, and secondly the recoil those things offer is insane. We've got one and I hate shooting more than a few plain old plinking .38 in it, let alone anything +P.

As to racking the slide, that is 100% about how you do it (not physical strength) in any normal healthy adult woman. Help her sign up for an NRA basic pistol at one of the many awesome trainers here on INGO, many even offer all female classes. That should go a long way toward helping her figure out what she wants.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Best thing to do is take here to a range that rents pistols and have her try several models, I would recommend a Walther PPS 9mm, very accurate, 8 round capacity, or a Colt Mustang in 380. Both very easy to carry and with the right ammo quite effective for self defense.
    View attachment 38285 View attachment 38286

Both great guns, but the Walther isn't a great beginner gun. You need some good basic pistol grip practice to be able to control it.

If she does want something smaller than a 4 inch double stack, I'm a big fan of the shield and my wife loves to shoot it. (Granted she likes dual wielding .357's....)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Have her attend a Well Armed Woman meeting in Nashville or Columbus. Two different groups.

I work with with a lot of novice shooters. My experience in what they like.

M&P Shield, M&P compact, M&P full size
    Walter PPQ
    Glock 26/19. (I have no experience with the G42 or 43)
    i have no experience with the Ruger LC9s but heard good things

shield is a fan favorite though

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    All of the women in our family do not enjoy shooting light weight revolvers. 50 rounds of Plus+ loads and they are done. None of the guys enjoy it either! In the end you want a gun they will practice with enough to master it.

In terms of what gun, I think it is all about practice and technique. My wife prefers her G17 but carries a Beretta Nano in her purse. The purse can accommodate any size gun, has multiple holsters for it. My Daughter likes the G19. My Mom rolls with a heavy .38 revolver. My SIL likes Sigs. They all like the Sigs. In the end each shooter does best when they choose their own path. You can make any gun smoother and easier to operate bit if she does not like it, forget it.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Get her into an NRA Basic Pistol course where there are LOTS of guns to work with both in the classroom and on the range. Slide racking is simple mechanics and I can usually get the average 80 year old lady to lock a slide back in around 2 minutes. Seriously. It's easy to get exhausted trying, when you are not using the correct body/hand mechanics.

Whe will make a much better purchase decision if she gets to work with and fire several different guns.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Get her into an NRA Basic Pistol course where there are LOTS of guns to work with both in the classroom and on the range. Slide racking is simple mechanics and I can usually get the average 80 year old lady to lock a slide back in around 2 minutes. Seriously. It's easy to get exhausted trying, when you are not using the correct body/hand mechanics.

Whe will make a much better purchase decision if she gets to work with and fire several different guns.

^^^This^^^ The first pistol I put in my hands I couldn't rack the slide on...and then someone showed me the technique and I've never had a problem since. Like IndyJohn said, my EDC is the Shield but I'll likely go back to the S&W 9c soon...just would prefer the bump in capacity. Take her to a range that rents a few that she is interested in. I will be the first to admit I've purchased without firing and with less than 50 rounds thru it knew I hated it (Ruger LCP). Practice and handling will make her comfortable with nearly any pistol but for the best results let her choose...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    ^^^This^^^ The first pistol I put in my hands I couldn't rack the slide on...and then someone showed me the technique and I've never had a problem since. Like IndyJohn said, my EDC is the Shield but I'll likely go back to the S&W 9c soon...just would prefer the bump in capacity. Take her to a range that rents a few that she is interested in. I will be the first to admit I've purchased without firing and with less than 50 rounds thru it knew I hated it (Ruger LCP). Practice and handling will make her comfortable with nearly any pistol but for the best results let her choose...

I would say try an M&Pc before buying. I think Smith did their research when designing the size of the Shield, Compact and full size models. The Compact is a great size, not big but not too compact. Some people shoot the Shield better though. The slimmer grip gives a shorter trigger. Some people don't like the recoil of the Shield, a narrow grip means less surface area and less weight means more felt recoil. That is the trade off.

Bigger and wider - more capacity, less recoil
    slim and small - slimmer grip, easier to carry

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    Problem with the shield is the relative lack of area to grasp to rack the slide and the heavy weight of the recoil spring.

What about something like a G19 Gen 4 (nested recoil springs)

Top Bottom