• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Looking to get some armor for the wife. I want to do some training with her with armor as well as eventually some shoot houses, but want her to have her own armor and kit rather than borrow/rent so she is familiar with it.

Anyone out there that have recommendations for armor or plate carriers? Have some extra 10x12 plates already. The carriers I have are much too big in some ways, but not big enough in others ways.

Didn't see any type of thread already answering this, but if there is feel free to point me to it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I don't have much experience with body armor. There are several companies that make soft armor and concealable vests in a women's fit. I don't know how you get a women's fit plate carrier since they are typically shaped like the plate with some straps. They might be out there but I have not noticed any plate carriers specifically for women. I did find this video though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tb2iYYdG0k

Like the above posters, I have to question the need. You shouldn't need armor in a properly run shoot house (and if I needed armor to go in one, I would question the safety practices of the training facility). But if it makes her happy then go for it. Just don't confuse uber-tactical shoot-em-up training with necessary armed citizen training needs. It's fun though.

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I don't have much experience with body armor. There are several companies that make soft armor and concealable vests in a women's fit. I don't know how you get a women's fit plate carrier since they are typically shaped like the plate with some straps. They might be out there but I have not noticed any plate carriers specifically for women. I did find this video though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tb2iYYdG0k

Like the above posters, I have to question the need. You shouldn't need armor in a properly run shoot house (and if I needed armor to go in one, I would question the safety practices of the training facility). But if it makes her happy then go for it. Just don't confuse uber-tactical shoot-em-up training with necessary armed citizen training needs. It's fun though.

The particular shoot house training in question is ran by Pat Rogers. I'll let you decide if you think it is improperly ran. It requires level 3 or 4 plates. I don't particularly care if someone doesn't think it is necessary. I am seeing if anyone has actual pertinent advice with real world application.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The particular shoot house training in question is ran by Pat Rogers. I'll let you decide if you think it is improperly ran. It requires level 3 or 4 plates. I don't particularly care if someone doesn't think it is necessary. I am seeing if anyone has actual pertinent advice with real world application.

Well, I certainly meant no offense. I haven't been in any training with Pat Rogers. Are the plates required for safety while in the house? Or just a general class requirement? Do you have a link to the course description? I'm interested in learning more.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I did find this article.

https://www.swatmag.com/articles/the_shoot_house So apparently it is for safety reasons. I know there have been some shoot house accidents. I wonder how many people he's got in at a time. I would consider armor and a helmet to be a big investment for one class when I have little need for it in regular life. From what little experience I have in them, I think the safety issues can be managed with good processes and checks, managing who goes in and out, and proper instructor oversight. But I'm not super experienced with them. If it's Pat Rogers, I'm sure it's really good training.

Sorry to derail your thread.

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I did find this article.

https://www.swatmag.com/articles/the_shoot_house So apparently it is for safety reasons. I know there have been some shoot house accidents. I wonder how many people he's got in at a time. I would consider armor and a helmet to be a big investment for one class when I have little need for it in regular life. From what little experience I have in them, I think the safety issues can be managed with good processes and checks, managing who goes in and out, and proper instructor oversight. But I'm not super experienced with them. If it's Pat Rogers, I'm sure it's really good training.

Sorry to derail your thread.

Didn't mean to come off snippy. Had a meeting with an annoying project manager. Best not to post when annoyed with a PM. Here is a link to the training EAG Tactical

Definitely something I hope we'd never have to use for real. But better to have it and not need it... and all that.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I have a small IOTV my wife no longer needs. Been thinking about selling/trading. If you're interested shoot me a PM, maybe we could work out a deal. (Also have a PASGT "flak vest" if that would work better. Helmet too.)

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    The last time I was at one of my local Conservation Clubs I wish my kid and I both had body armor on... Shooters aiming are not the problem, its the discharge that's not aimed that makes me nervous..

Top Bottom