• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatherRDH2004

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2016
    Columbus
    I got my very first gun for Christmas! Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I am going to cerakote it but want to get any accessories that I might need/want first. I took a step 1 & 2 before I got my gun and I really liked the laser sight so I got a Crimson Trace laser sight.

What other things can you suggest I should get?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A suppressor! They never fail to bring a smile to the face of the person shooting.

Get a holster for it. You can carry it and get a feel for what it is like in preparation for the day you decide to get a larger caliber pistol to carry.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    A suppressor! They never fail to bring a smile to the face of the person shooting.

Slow down. It's her first gun. Not all M&P22s are threaded. She doesn't need to rush into an NFA item, especially with the Hearing Protection Act possibly around the corner.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Slow down. It's her first gun. Not all M&P22s are threaded. She doesn't need to rush into an NFA item, especially with the Hearing Protection Act possibly around the corner.
    I believe all M&P 22s are indeed threaded, unless they make a version for some stupid state that considers that part of an assault weapon.

The HPA is no where near a given. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to pass, nor would I not buy a suppressor expecting it to pass.

My first purchase was a M&P 15-22, second was a suppressor. Suppressors on .22s are awesome. :rockwoot:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Congratulations on your first pistol. I assume a step 1 & 2 is some form of intro training class. If so, kudos to you for doing so.

As for accessories, a standard cleaning kit, couple extra magazines and lots of ammo would be all I would want. The holster as suggested is a good idea but there is not much else I would want with an M&P22.

Why do you want to cerakote it? is it a color choice or a perceived necessity?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd stay away from the laser sight for now. Learn how to use the sights on the pistol to the best of your ability. Then later down the road, you can add a laser.

Holster, extra magazines, a good cleaning kit and lots of ammo.

Also, you can never have too much training. Maybe find a league somewhere around you to shoot in. You tend to make friends and become a better shooter.

HeatherRDH2004

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2016
    Columbus
    training and cerakote reply

Yes, step 1 and 2 were training classes. There is a step 3 where you fire about 15 different guns and Im taking that in January. I need to find a league or somewhere to practice so I can get more comfortable as someone else in this thread suggested.

I wanted to cerakote it only for esthetics. :) Thats probably really girlie and a newbie thing to do. Think it would look stupid at a range?? LOL.

There is a gun show in Columbus tomorrow. Is that a good place to buy things? Is that usually a better deal than online? I found
    Smith & Wesson M&P 22 LR Compact 10 Round Mag .22LR Magazine online for $25.99.

As for the laser sight, I thought it would be similar to the SIRT gun which made me more accurate and it would also be a
    deterrent. I understand that I should probably spend some time traditionally training without it.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes, step 1 and 2 were training classes. There is a step 3 where you fire about 15 different guns and Im taking that in January. I need to find a league or somewhere to practice so I can get more comfortable as someone else in this thread suggested.

I wanted to cerakote it only for esthetics. :) Thats probably really girlie and a newbie thing to do. Think it would look stupid at a range?? LOL.

There is a gun show in Columbus tomorrow. Is that a good place to buy things? Is that usually a better deal than online? I found

As for the laser sight, I thought it would be similar to the SIRT gun which made me more accurate and it would also be a
    deterrent. I understand that I should probably spend some time traditionally training without it.
    They can be good for buying things. You really have to shop around and pay attention to prices. Don't forget to take shipping charges into account for online purchases and the entry fee for the show if that is the only reason you want to go to the show.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I think you are well on your way for success. The M&P is a good platform to learn on, and the 22 is a comfortable caliber to develop skills with. I purchased one and used it during training and to build comfort (the 9mm and 45acp were a bit intimidating at first). The training class is a great choice! Props to you for taking that initiative. As far as gear? Get a good holster, a great pair of range glasses, ear protection, and a solid range bag (5.11 has some very good, smaller bags that don't make you feel like you are showing up for the SWAT team). What you might find is that the 22 doesn't pack as much punch as what you are ultimately wanting and you may decide to upgrade within a year or so. I started with a .380 and quickly decided I preferred the 9mm. Everyone is different and has their own preferences - don't let anyone tell you what you are most comfortable with but certainly try as many pistols as your friends and family will let you. LOL, it's always fun to shoot a broad range of calibers and styles...but ya gotta be picky about what you bring home. :shoot:

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012

Don't worry about the range, nobody really notices much there except for the range officer, who's just trying to keep a lid on safety issues. Most people at the range won't be able to shoot any better than you can, either. Nobody's going to care what color your gun is, or even notice. Most of my accessory stuff is pink because it's easy to color-code what's mine vs. what is my husband's or children's. I wouldn't have chosen pink if it were just me, but there's nothing wrong with any color of anything. I'd love a tiffany blue pistol, but since I have young kids, I keep the guns "real gun looking" rather than "toy gun looking," just in case. My kids have been told over and over that pink, rainbow, or other colorful guns are not toys, and we keep guns locked up or on body at all times, but I feel like it's safer for our situation to avoid the colors for now. My 6 year old daughter has a pink cricket rifle, though, she was very enthusiastic about it, and it's always locked up, and it was a nice demonstration for the kids that pink guns still go bang just like the black ones.

Have fun with the laser. Guys will tell you to forget it and learn the sights, etc., but of course you want to play with the laser, it's really cool. I have seen some laughable uses of the laser at the range, though. There's a reason some experienced people start to snicker at newbies with lasers, but don't worry about that, yours is reasonable and fun and you like it, so enjoy it. You've taken several classes already, which is more than most people do, so you'll be fine with learning to use the regular sights and not trying to rely on just a laser or something. One caveat - if you turn that laser on and shake all over the place and fire while you're still shaking, and I see it...I'm going to snicker a little. If you fire it rapidly while the laser is shaking all over the place, I'm going to snicker a lot and then I'm going to hope the range officer is going to give you some tips. If you do it while you have the laser on an AR-15 and you're shooting at a target 10 yards away from you and rounds are hitting the dirt, I'm going to leave the range ASAP. Yep, seen all this. Just do it like they're teaching you in class and you'll be fine.

The most I have spent on accessories is for holsters. You will probably go through many. Get a good gun belt.

Soon enough you will probably want a gun with some more bang, or a rifle, or something else fun. After a few years of practice I have no problem shooting .45. Most of it seems to be technique, not strength, so you will get there if you practice and get some tips. Rifles are a lot of fun. A lot. I started with a .22 rifle and now I enjoy a 30 30 the best, and can shoot a .308 without hurting myself. An AR-15 is very easy to shoot. People at the range do notice more if you're shooting something loud or a bit unusual or old-fashioned, but just because people are curious about the gun, not to judge on what color it is or if you can shoot it like the Katniss of guns.

I could not be less interested in a suppressor.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There is a gun show in Columbus tomorrow. Is that a good place to buy things? Is that usually a better deal than online? I found Smith & Wesson M&P 22 LR Compact 10 Round Mag .22LR Magazine online for $25.99.

OP, just to be sure, you said in your initial post you got an M&P22 which is a full size pistol. The M&P22 Compact (magazine referenced above) is a different model. While they both have 10 round magazines, they are not interchangeable.

The M&P22 was made by Umarex/Walther for S&W. The S&W M&P22 Compact is manufactured by S&W itself.

Top Bottom