• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Wanting to get ready for spring and get my 10 yr old daughter proficient with a pistol. She's accurate with a .22 bolt action rifle and is comfortable with the mechanics of operation and understands the safety rules so it's time to expand her knowledge.

My question for the ladies of INGO (or anyone really) is what steel targets have you had the best results with? My 12 yr old son loves steel spinners so he and I will be dueling this Spring for speed and accuracy. I've had fun walking a jack across the yard with a pistol. She isn't competitive, more precision minded perhaps. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Maybe something like this that forces concentrated fire?
    http://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=no-hope

If she is into precision shooting, I'd suggest more distance and/or smaller targets to challenge her. It's not steel, but my dad used to put grapes on skewers and scatter them about at different heights across the yard and I would shoot them prone...had a blast and it's cheap.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Maybe something like this that forces concentrated fire?
    http://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=no-hope

If she is into precision shooting, I'd suggest more distance and/or smaller targets to challenge her. It's not steel, but my dad used to put grapes on skewers and scatter them about at different heights across the yard and I would shoot them prone...had a blast and it's cheap.

That is a great idea! Thank you.
    LOL, I hadn't seen the "no hope" targets. She might not get it but her daddy would think it's hilarious! Looks like we will be giving BobcatSteel some more of our money...

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Either smaller targets or place targets farther away. Or try some out of the box targets like golf balls, walnuts, old shotgun shells, etc. The slow-fire accuracy thing isn't bad, some of us actually like it...

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Small water balloons hanging on strings or chicken eggs make great reactive targets. Dum-dum suckers and paint balls on golf tees are more challenging.

Note: Egg residue may attract critters like skunks or raccoons.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I have various steel targets (static plates, 22 dueling tree, etc) and have taken numerous other items out to shoot with my 10 year old son over the past few years. When we go now and take a friends 10 year old daughter their favorite targets by far are simple soda cans.

I buy buy a couple of cases of cheap soda or fizzy water at Costco they love shaking them up, putting the cans out, and blasting them. Vary the distance to make more or less challenging.

I still ill put out the dueling tree and they do enjoying competing on that but full soda cans are their favorite.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I take my Daughter to Kodiak Range in South Bend. There she can shoot paper, steel, or both. In fact, she was begging me yesterday to take her there this weekend for some "Group Therapy". She loves to ring steel, and it keeps her proficient with her handgun (Ruger 22/45 MK III) and my tacti-cool 10/22. Love that place, can never seem to make it there often enough.....

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Has she done a Revere's Riders event? The knowledge she will pick up there will last a lifetime. I highly recommend it. My oldest has been and he learned a lot. I have been two or three times and I have learn new stuff each and every time. That said, Revere's Rider is now offering pistol courses as well to the best of my knowledge. You might consider checking that out too. And comma I second the motion for more Bobcat steel. You really can't have too much. The reactive targets are fun. Also, try putting out the normal stand with your standard Bullseye targets. Maybe she enjoyed shooting for groups better than hearing steel ring. Some people are into that.

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    When I was a kid my dad used thumb tacks to hang targets. After we shot the 4 spot targets he would put my brother and I side by side and say take the targets down. Not super tough at 25 yards but at times it would take us a while to drop the further ones.

At 11 and 13 my two love shooting steel. We just use gongs but they still love it.

Top Bottom