Steel Targets with Kids?

Wanting to get ready for spring and get my 10 yr old daughter proficient with a pistol. She's accurate with a .22 bolt action rifle and is comfortable with the mechanics of operation and understands the safety rules so it's time to expand her knowledge.

My question for the ladies of INGO (or anyone really) is what steel targets have you had the best results with? My 12 yr old son loves steel spinners so he and I will be dueling this Spring for speed and accuracy. I've had fun walking a jack across the yard with a pistol. She isn't competitive, more precision minded perhaps. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by OkieGirl; 3 Weeks Ago at 22:09. Reason: spelling
    Luck favors the prepared.

Maybe something like this that forces concentrated fire?
    http://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=no-hope

If she is into precision shooting, I'd suggest more distance and/or smaller targets to challenge her. It's not steel, but my dad used to put grapes on skewers and scatter them about at different heights across the yard and I would shoot them prone...had a blast and it's cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    When I pulled away, splashy splashy started
    Real eyes realize real lies.

Marksman
    A center knock out type target would be just the thing for an aspiring precision shooter. Something like this ... 10" circle w knock out 3/8" ... I'm sure Bobcat Steel can help you with more ideas ... give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by pack-indy ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)ed5511&p=6957763#post6957763" rel="nofollow">View Post
    Maybe something like this that forces concentrated fire?
    http://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=no-hope

If she is into precision shooting, I'd suggest more distance and/or smaller targets to challenge her. It's not steel, but my dad used to put grapes on skewers and scatter them about at different heights across the yard and I would shoot them prone...had a blast and it's cheap.
    That is a great idea! Thank you.
    LOL, I hadn't seen the "no hope" targets. She might not get it but her daddy would think it's hilarious! Looks like we will be giving BobcatSteel some more of our money...
    Luck favors the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieGirl ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)ed5511&p=6959316#post6959316" rel="nofollow">View Post
    Looks like we will be giving BobcatSteel some more of our money...
    Heartland Trading Post
    Luck Favors The Prepared

Like us on Facebook

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."

Plinker
    Either smaller targets or place targets farther away. Or try some out of the box targets like golf balls, walnuts, old shotgun shells, etc. The slow-fire accuracy thing isn't bad, some of us actually like it...

Mentally: Somewhere on a warm beach, tropical drink in hand, a couple of wahinis to keep me company
    Probably be ok as long as the kids aren't actually holding the targets.
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

Master
    Small water balloons hanging on strings or chicken eggs make great reactive targets. Dum-dum suckers and paint balls on golf tees are more challenging.

Note: Egg residue may attract critters like skunks or raccoons.
    Say what you feel. Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!

I have various steel targets (static plates, 22 dueling tree, etc) and have taken numerous other items out to shoot with my 10 year old son over the past few years. When we go now and take a friends 10 year old daughter their favorite targets by far are simple soda cans.

I buy buy a couple of cases of cheap soda or fizzy water at Costco they love shaking them up, putting the cans out, and blasting them. Vary the distance to make more or less challenging.

I still ill put out the dueling tree and they do enjoying competing on that but full soda cans are their favorite.

I take my Daughter to Kodiak Range in South Bend. There she can shoot paper, steel, or both. In fact, she was begging me yesterday to take her there this weekend for some "Group Therapy". She loves to ring steel, and it keeps her proficient with her handgun (Ruger 22/45 MK III) and my tacti-cool 10/22. Love that place, can never seem to make it there often enough.....

Mortui non mordant.......