• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    My wife has a Glock 26 and after watching many a video and reading many an article and still not listening to me when I told her she needed to carry on her person not in her purse and she needed to carry chambered, my brother, an LEO, made a few suggestions and comments to her on being prepared and what not today and she walked over and said she wanted an IWB holster and belt.

Me being an OC'er and a guy I have no clue where to start with a IWB for a woman. Anyone have any suggestions? I know comfort is more important than printing to her but she doesn't want it to show too much either. I'll investigate any and all suggestions, my goal is to not waste tons of money trying to find one that suits her.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Next point that has to hit home for her:

She's going to have to dress around the gun.

If she's going to carry IWB, she'll either A) need new/different clothes or B) lose weight in order to wear the clothes she has + the gun.

Other than that, I'm not at all qualified to suggest any kinds of holsters for women. (SOME holster makers offer women-specific holsters, for instance)

Good luck on telling your woman to lose weight, though. ;) :rofl:

-J-

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Well, I use a Crossbreed holster and no belt (it squeaks) and an ankle holster. I do not like a traditional holster on my belt cause it flops all over the place. My sister is experimenting with a thigh holster for when she wears dresses/skirts.

It's a great excuse to go shopping!!

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I have one made for me by BlueEagle. I like it. I wear it with a, shocker, men's belt because all the women's belts I've found are horrible. Also, it gives me an excuse to look for a pretty belt buckle.

Other than that, I wear a lot of skirts/dresses (actually that's all I wear) so I've looked at a thigh holster...

It really just depends on the woman. Seriously. I know of one lovely lady who won't carry but in her purse. And her reasoning is she doesn't want to have to change the way she dresses. I'm in the boat of 'whatever I wear is good enough' so that doesn't apply to me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have one made for me by BlueEagle. I like it. I wear it with a, shocker, men's belt because all the women's belts I've found are horrible. Also, it gives me an excuse to look for a pretty belt buckle.

Other than that, I wear a lot of skirts/dresses (actually that's all I wear) so I've looked at a thigh holster...

It really just depends on the woman. Seriously. I know of one lovely lady who won't carry but in her purse. And her reasoning is she doesn't want to have to change the way she dresses. I'm in the boat of 'whatever I wear is good enough' so that doesn't apply to me.

Yep, after wearing through my third women's belt in 18 months (granted, I pay less than $10 a piece for them), I realized when I was picking out a new one for Mr88GT that I should be shopping on his rack, not mine. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a skirt/dress wearer anyway, but I always shied away from a conceal carry thigh holster when I do because it just seemed too much effort between realizing I needed to draw and getting it in my hand for defense. (Of course, the act of lifting the skirt might stop the bad guy in his tracks, but can't count on that.) A flirty, short skirt made for summer might not be so bad. But a long or heavy-weight skirt, or a more fitted one just seems to take so long to hike. And the long ones have the disadvantage of having to fight all that material during the process.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Yep, after wearing through my third women's belt in 18 months (granted, I pay less than $10 a piece for them), I realized when I was picking out a new one for Mr88GT that I should be shopping on his rack, not mine. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a skirt/dress wearer anyway, but I always shied away from a conceal carry thigh holster when I do because it just seemed too much effort between realizing I needed to draw and getting it in my hand for defense. (Of course, the act of lifting the skirt might stop the bad guy in his tracks, but can't count on that.) A flirty, short skirt made for summer might not be so bad. But a long or heavy-weight skirt, or a more fitted one just seems to take so long to hike. And the long ones have the disadvantage of having to fight all that material during the process.

I'm more of in the line of for a shorter skirt, or summer-ish dress. :)
    And I only wear fitted dresses during summer when I'm attempting to impress someone. And it's not even really worth it anymore. XD

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While I have been single for a long time now, I think my wife would have liked the Remora Concealment Holster. It holds by friction between your skin or undergarment and your belt or elastic holding up what ever. They are low cost also.

I recommend both men and women look into them. I love mine. I have three IWB favorites in no particular order: the Remora, the 3Speed and the White Hat holster.

Vv

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You also might have her try on a "belly band" type holster. Unfortunately retention is not so good with the simple ones unless the gun is small/light. The larger the gun the larger the band. Most of the them that have retention use velcro and drawing is kind of clunky.

They also make types for more "active" use.

Also check out Thunderwear or Smart Carry, but this has the tendency to "add bulk" to an area that women would rather not have bulk.

Finally there are concealed carry undershirts.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm currently using this holster from 7.62 Precision by FrontLine and carrying this Kimber (3") in it.

I usually wear a camisole or some kind of thin barrier top between me and the gun, and flip the bottom edge of an outer shirt over the grip.
    I wear it about 3 O'clock strong side;

IMG_1991.jpg

Even sitting is not uncomfortable, as the cant of the gun and the width of the holster doesn't allow the grip to dig into my chubby chubbiness...

Uncovered:
    0205121931a-1.jpg

Outer shirt flipped down:
    0205121941-1.jpg

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Go JetGirl!! :rockwoot:

Obviously your wife has many options... Unfortunately, sometimes when you're on the hike for something specific,
    You may spend the money to try a couple IWB holsters before finding one that fits her well.

Good luck,

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hmmmm - Thigh Holster.
    Never thought of that before. Don't think I have the legs for it anyway. Besides, my girlfriend might get jealous. :rolleyes:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Totally! You should check out Gun Belts by The Belt Man . That's where mine is from now... it's about two years old and has been used for holster carry every day and is still sturdy like new - even at the points where my holster slides on/off.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Hey Jetgirl... I'm looking at that link and I would love to have one of those for my compact Kimber but I don't see it on the list of available pistols to chose from. Which gun model did you select to make your Kimber work? Those look like very nice holsters!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hey Jetgirl... I'm looking at that link and I would love to have one of those for my compact Kimber but I don't see it on the list of available pistols to chose from. Which gun model did you select to make your Kimber work? Those look like very nice holsters!

I can't find the email...maybe there wasn't one, because I know I talked to them some on the phone.
    At the risk of telling you the wrong thing, just call 907-317-8440 and talk to Leah. She's the holster guru gal. She'll make sure you get just the right one.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Totally! You should check out Gun Belts by The Belt Man . That's where mine is from now... it's about two years old and has been used for holster carry every day and is still sturdy like new - even at the points where my holster slides on/off.

Sorry for the thread jack...JetGirl which belt did you get from the belt guy? I've been looking at his website for sometime now trying to decide if I need the stiffener put in and which leather to get.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sorry for the thread jack...JetGirl which belt did you get from the belt guy? I've been looking at his website for sometime now trying to decide if I need the stiffener put in and which leather to get.

One of the quick ship bull-hides because I didn't want to wait: QUICK SHIP BELTS
    Got it within the same week I ordered it.
    Sometimes I put a girly buckle on it, but most times I just leave the chrome one on it.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm currently using this holster from 7.62 Precision by FrontLine and carrying this Kimber (3") in it.

I usually wear a camisole or some kind of thin barrier top between me and the gun, and flip the bottom edge of an outer shirt over the grip.
    I wear it about 3 O'clock strong side;

IMG_1991.jpg

Even sitting is not uncomfortable, as the cant of the gun and the width of the holster doesn't allow the grip to dig into my chubby chubbiness...

Uncovered:
    0205121931a-1.jpg

Outer shirt flipped down:
    0205121941-1.jpg

I have been looking for an IWB holster, my question is with this holster when you unholster the gun does it squish together making it somewhat difficult to re holster one handed? Or is it pretty stiff?

Top Bottom