• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Texas Star Match will be this Saturday, January 30th at 1 PM. Setup will begin at 12:15 PM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters) will be at 12:45 PM to explain the rules. At 1:00 PM, we will begin shooting.

REMINDER: Bring work gloves for resetting targets. The steel plates are cold and often get muddy.
    If there is severe weather, the match may need to be canceled. I will try to send an e-mail and post an announcement in the Shooting Sports section of www.ingunowners.com by 11:00 AM if it is obvious the weather isn’t going to cooperate.

The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

Texas Star Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rule shall result in a match disqualification.

If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins") If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rules, please feel free to e-mail me.

If you are willing to help as an RO or help keep score, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you can make it Saturday.

~John

BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like I may make it out to this. How long does the match normally last? Average number of rounds?

If we have a good turnout, we'll typically shoot 3-4 brackets. A bracket takes 30-45 minutes, so if you stay to the end it will probably be close to 4pm. Bring 100-150 rounds and you'll be able to have lots of fun. If we have a smaller than normal turnout, then you'll have more opportunities to shoot (and go through more ammo). You pay each time we start a new bracket, so if you can't stay that late, it's not a problem.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Is this pistol only? Would like to knock the dust off the shotgun before 3-gun season, if the little lady will let me out of the house.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Looks as though the 12 year old will be joining us as well. If he decides he wants to shoot, can he use my gun? Or does he have to have his own gear?

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks as though the 12 year old will be joining us as well. If he decides he wants to shoot, can he use my gun? Or does he have to have his own gear?

No problem with him using your gun. Would suggest you keep the gun in a zippered pistol bag or case rather than a holster. Also mark the bag/box in some way so that when you are standing at the line waiting for the "Make Ready" command, you know which way to orient it so that when you open up that the muzzle is facing down range instead of at the person opening it up.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like we are going to have really nice weather tomorrow. So there is a possibility we could shoot bowling pins. Suggest you come prepared to do either especially if you like to shoot different ammo or gun for pins vs. stars. Will make the decision which one we're shooting about noon. So be there then if you want to influence the decision if things could go either way.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is this pistol only? Would like to knock the dust off the shotgun before 3-gun season, if the little lady will let me out of the house.

Sorry, handgun only. If we were shooting bowling pins, then you can shoot a rifle, IF it is chambered in a handgun caliber. We tried shotgun once and had considerable problems with ricochet.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Will we shoot pins in the bays?

No. Pins would have to be shot out on the SE corner of the main range. I haven't been to the range in a while. Always a possibility that the work on the new wind break may make it impossible to get out there. Also, if the ground is too muddy, we'll stick to TX Stars.

Top Bottom