• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    So I did what a lot of people do. I bought a nice new 10/22 carbine, and then realized I wanted it to be a suppressor host. So I replaced the barrel with a threaded bull barrel, which required replacing the stock too. So now I am left with: 1) a nice new stock and 2) a shiny stainless steel barrel.

I could sell them, but I'm not sure I'd get any decent money for them. So, I'm thinking I should just slam a complete receiver in there, and have a whole other rifle to sell, or keep. One would think they would sell these new for $75, but apparently not, and I'm not messing with any raw receiver parts. So is the best thing really just to buy an old, ugly 10/22 just to obtain the complete receiver parts? Suggestions?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Gunbroker. $93.00.
    Best I could find in a quick search.

Yea but that probably doesn't include bolt, and trigger group. And even then, unless it is in Indiana we have to do a 4473 transfer $$$.

I definitely don't want to spend more tham $100 to bring this rifle back to life. It will probably just end up a trunk gun. Any other ideas out there?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yea but that probably doesn't include bolt, and trigger group. And even then, unless it is in Indiana we have to do a 4473 transfer $$$.

I definitely don't want to spend more tham $100 to bring this rifle back to life. It will probably just end up a trunk gun. Any other ideas out there?

If you find complete 10-22 recievers for under 100 bucks buy 10.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Just hold onto the parts. Eventually you will buy a better trigger for the one you built up and then you will want a TacSol reciever and you will be able to put the original one back together :)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you find complete 10-22 recievers for under 100 bucks buy 10.

What should I expect, $150? A new gun from WalMart is only $220 isn't it? I suppose I'd rather pay $150 than $220. But even if I find them for $150, if I have to pay $25 for the transfer, then that makes $175, and I suppose I'd rather pay $220 than all that hassle.

So should I give up on this project?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Oh man, I was thinking on this the other day when I looked at Nodak Spud's website, drooling over slabsided lowers. They make 10/22 recievers. I had a thought in my mind to make a completely, calico, mix-matched 10/22 that looked like crap from everyone else's take off parts! lol Might cost slightly more in the long run, but that's not the point... :)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What should I expect, $150? A new gun from WalMart is only $220 isn't it? I suppose I'd rather pay $150 than $220. But even if I find them for $150, if I have to pay $25 for the transfer, then that makes $175, and I suppose I'd rather pay $220 than all that hassle.

So should I give up on this project?

I would expect 150 especially for the old style receiver. But Like JT said I would just hold on to parts. I recently built a 10-22 out of the parts I had saved. A 10-22 receiver draws a premium because of the amount of people who want just that part.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Simple math. A new 10/22 is $220+. As the OP stated, you can't get much money for a take-off factory stock and barrel (stainless should be a bit more). What's left? Yep, the receiver. Subtract "not much" from the cost of a new gun and you find the value of a complete receiver with trigger group. Log onto Rimfire Central and check the classifieds. Decent buys on TGs, both polymer and older metal versions. There is an ad for a "reviver" (looks just like a receiver) but it is stripped and is $110.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I am in the same boat, but chose to take the "any decent money for them" approach.

Dick's Black Friday sale 10/22 = $179. Hogue Overmolded stock=$69. Fedderson threaded barrel=$110. -$25 for my old stock(sold). -$50 for the unfired, original barrel (still for sale - check classifieds!). Equals $283 for a sweet tackdriver.

(sorry for the shameless plug.)

ol' poke.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I read the OP and thought another person falling victim to the myth that 10-22's are cheap guns that are easily built and upgraded. 10-22's are a money pit. I bought a stock 10-22 years ago, and now about the only original pieces left on it are the reciever & barrel. I've tried finding the stripped recievers, but they aren't economical when they are found. It sucks, but the bottom line is that the best way to build a 10-22 of your design is to buy a new cheapo and start gutting parts.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Time to make 80% 10-22 receivers, or just crank one out?

This is a good thought.... For years, I can't understand for the life of me why Ruger isn't producing stripped receivers. I plan to build another 10/22, but this time won't bother buying one from the store for the receiver unless I can get a whole rifle for $200. I'd rather build one with all aftermarket parts or just look for a used one that is beat to hell for $150

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is a good thought.... For years, I can't understand for the life of me why Ruger isn't producing stripped receivers. I plan to build another 10/22, but this time won't bother buying one from the store for the receiver unless I can get a whole rifle for $200. I'd rather build one with all aftermarket parts or just look for a used one that is beat to hell for $150

Ruger isn't going to start producing something that's going to cut into one of their biggest lines of revenue. Personally, I'd love to see Kel-Tec give Ruger a taste of their own medicine and start producing and selling stripped 10-22 receivers. I think it'd be poetic justice for them to start knocking off a few of the Ruger designs like Ruger has been doing to them.

Top Bottom