• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Dead insect eggs won't hurt you; they add a little protein. However, if they hatch a year or two after you bought and stored your wheat or flour, you'll have a surprise when you open it to use it if you have not accounted for their inevitable presence.

I run everything I eat through a cyclotron and bombard it with high-energy particles.

The worst part is when I have to thoroughly cook my salad.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Well. So much for ever eating rice again. :xmad:

Better give up chocolate too.
    The USDA has an allowance for Rat hair and Rat Feces in chocolate.
    Same for Coffee.
    Warehouses are not sanitary places and anything stored in burlap bags is gonna have rats.

stillwaters

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    You mean to tell me you don't put your flour in the freezer before you use it??? I guess you've never seen those meal worms after they hatch?! -Rhino's right, it ain't just the rice, folks!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think I'm going to swear off food entirely. Maybe I can just become a photovore or something.

/wonder if sunlight comes in mesquite flavor?

stillwaters

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Now Junior! Grubs and worms are good protein! And if you want more crunch in your lunch, take a bag of beetles! -At least, isn't that what they teach pilots if they're down in enemy territory?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ants aren't good (formic acid and indigestible bodies that can cause blockage), and beetles should have their legs removed before consuming (cilia on the legs can cause gastric problems). Grubs and worms are OK.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Oxygen packets and a FoodSaver.

Usually you can find it at WalMart or Sam's club for less than the list price. I've have mine for over 10 years.

FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealer, America's #1 Selling Brand of Home Vacuum Packaging Systems

Oxygen Absorber Packets

Put the unused oxygen packets in a Foodsaver bag and seal up everything but what you plan to use within 1/2 hour.

2-3 pound bags work well for rice, but if you eat a lot of rice a 5lb bag might make more sense for you. Take out what you need for a meal, then seal up the bag again. The bags aren't cheap, but I've tried the no-name brand bags... and I'll usually get some failures.

Also works great to keep stuff organized, dry, etc for my 72-hour kits.

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Global Food Crisis Sparks US Survivalist Resurgence
    related: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]Duck and Cover: It’s the New Survivalism[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular][/FONT]

April 28, 2008
    Peter Ryan
    Houston Chronicle

So far the threat of a global food crisis has not affected Australia, but there are worrying signs appearing in the United States where some worried locals are beginning to hoard supplies.

080430.resurgence.survival.jpg
    Photo: A US shopper in Virginia stocks up amid fears of global food shortages. (Reuters: Jim Young)

Two bulk US retailers are rationing some sales of imported rice and that's been enough for some Americans to begin stocking up.

It has also rekindled America's survivalist movement.

One leading survivalist warning of lean and hungry times ahead is Jim Rawles, a former US intelligence officer and editor of a survivalist blog, who lives in California.

Mr Rawles says he thinks the food shortages being seen in the United States could soon become a matter of survival.

"I think that families should be prepared for times of crisis, whether it's a man-made disaster or a natural disaster, and I think it's wise and prudent to stock up on food," he said.

"I've encouraged my readers to do this for many years, and the ones that have are now in a situation where they can just spend charity to their neighbours if there are full-scale shortages."

He says there are thousands of people in the United States stocking up to prepare for the possibility of a food shortage.

"On a small scale, I'm sure there's hundreds of thousands. In terms of real serious survivalists, it's probably just in the tens of thousands that are actively preparing and the folks that are going to two, three or four-year supply of food," he said.

He says it is a major situation with food with other potential calamities that concern him as a survivalist.

"If you get into a situation where fuel supplies are disrupted or even if the power grid were to go down for short periods of time, people can work around that," he said.

"But you can't work around a lack of food - people starve, people panic and you end up with chaos in the streets."

WELL PREPARED

Mr Rawles says he has been very well prepared for many years.

"We have more than a three-year supply food here at our ranch," he said.

"We've got quite a bit if wheat, rice, beans, honey, rolled oats, sugar, you name it. We've got large quantities salted away.

"Most of it is stored in five-gallon plastic food grade buckets."

He says that before this food issue came to light, he would normally be prepared for other types of civil unrest or disaster anyway.

"For earthquakes or flood, famine, whatever," he said.

"We anticipated a situation where there might be a disruption of food supplies, but we're more looking at a classic socio-economic collapse or even a nuclear war."

But Mr Rawles says he did not expect he would be preparing for a food shortage several years ago.

"Not per se, because we've been living in a land of plenty for many, many years," he said.

"We haven't had food rationing in the United States since World War II, so it wasn't very high on anyone's priority list."

He says the location of his survival ranch in the US is secret.

"We don't actually reveal our location, even at the state level," he said.

"All that I'm allowed to say is that we're somewhere west of the Rockies. We intentionally keep a very low profile.

"We just don't want a lot of people camping out on our doorstep the day after everything hits the fan."

Global food crisis sparks US survivalist resurgence - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    There is some pretty smart and prepared folks here. My wife bought a bunch of tupperwear containers to store our flour, rice, beans, salt and sugar in.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Pack it in mylar bags in 5 gal buckets. Throw in some oxygen absorbers and seal it with an iron. It will keep for decades. This is good to keep as a cheap last resort source of food. Add some dried pintos and pasta. Dont forget salt and most importantly Tabasco.

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

APTRANS.gif
    updated 9:45 a.m. CT, Mon., May. 5, 2008 function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633455955531870000');

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Troops opened fire and killed at least two people as tens of thousands of people rioted over high food prices in Somalia’s capital Monday.
    Several people also were injured in the protest in Mogadishu in this Horn of Africa nation.
    Prices of rice and other food staples have been rising rapidly around the world, boosted by poor weather in some nations and rising demand. In Africa, prices of some staple foods have increased more than 50 percent in a matter of weeks.

The Somali protesters include women and children, who marched to protest the refusal of traders to accept old 1,000-shilling notes, blaming that for the skyrocketing food prices.
    Shops shuttered
    Soon after, tens of thousands of people took to the streets, hurling stones that smashed the windshields of several cars and buses. Rocks also were thrown at shops and chaos erupted at the capital’s main Bakara market.
    Hundreds of shops and restaurants in southern Mogadishu closed their doors for fear of looting.
    Dr. Dahir Dhere said a man wounded in the protests died on the way to an operating room at the capital’s main Medina Hospital.
    Protester Abdinur Farah says he was marching with his uncle in southern Mogadishu when government troops opened fire and wounded his relative. He said his uncle died before they could take him to the hospital.
    Rapidly rising prices
    In Mogadishu, the price of 2.2 pounds of corn meal has gone from 12 cents in January to 25 cents. Another staple, rice, has gone up in that time from $26 to $47.50 for a 110-pound sack.
    getCSS("3088867")
    video.gif
    Video

javascript:vPlayer('24468117','e42627c8-bf72-46f1-8291-0f51ca22769b') Deadly riots
    May 5: Tens of thousands of Somalis take to the streets of Mogadishu to protest rising food prices. Msnbc.com's Dara Brown reports.
    MSNBC.com

Protests also have been held in three other African countries, including Senegal, whose president on Sunday called for the United Nations to dismantle its Food and Agriculture Organization, calling it an ineffective money-eater that failed to help avert the global food crisis.
    Senegal’s leader, President Abdoulaye Wade, said he had long called for the Rome-based organization to be transferred to Africa, “near the ‘sick ones’ it pretends to care for.”
    But, “This time, I’m going further: It must be eliminated,” he said in a statement. Wade suggested its assets be transferred to the U.N. International Fund for Agricultural Development, which he said was more efficient, and that that agency set up headquarters in Africa “at the heart of the problem.”
    FAO officials could not immediately be reached for comment.
    Wade’s government responded to protest marches by securing a deal with India that ensures Senegal’s needs of 600,000 tons of rice a year are met for the next six years. In Burkina Faso, the government eliminated duties and taxes on rice, salt, milk and all products used to prepare food for children.

2 killed in Somalia food price riots - Africa - MSNBC.com

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    FWIW, you can also buy sealable 5-gallon plastic buckets at Home Depot and Lowes. I store road salt, bird seed, etc. in them.

You should never use 5 gallon buckets that are not FDA, NSF etc. approved for food storage. The release agents on some buckets are cheaper and are not safe for human consumption. Most big box store paint buckets are NOT approved for food use. I purchased some buckets from a close supplier (to Indiana), uline.com. Internet order and fair prices ($3.99 for 5 gallon buckets). Also, some Gamma Seals are really nice for accessing the buckets, without having to deal with the difficult lids.

Top Bottom